Shogun (FX)

Started by ace3g, Dec 11, 2020, 12:33:01 AM

Author
Shogun (FX) (Read 4,236 times)

Cougerboy

Cougerboy

Finish watching the penultimate episode and wow...that ending, I am a bit speechless, it really hits you in the gut with raw emotions. Having read the book, I knew it was coming, but I was impressed they did it better than I imagined.

Mariko decides to take her fate in her hands. You can see she displays a confidence and self-assurance that wasn't apparent in the earlier episodes. She knew her mission and executed it to perfection, you can glimpse a hint of satisfaction on her face as she outplays Ishido. Through her, the fate of Japan will be decided, to some extent. Anna Sawai does a stand up job portraying her in this episode.

Ochiba by contrast reveals she still care for Mariko and her flashes of concern shows both her lingering sisterly affection for Mariko and also the realization that Toranaga, through Mariko,  is outmaneuvering the council of regents.

Blackthorne too also comes to understand what "Crimson Sky" truly means, as embodied by Mariko. From his initial disgust and horror at samurai rituals, he comes to accept it and honor Mariko's desires.

Yabu also has a key role in the episode. Throughout the series, we see him as sadistic and despicable, yet also a comically incompetent version of the scheming "Littlefinger" from Game of Thrones. In this episode though, he has to finally choose which side he will ultimately be loyal to. Tadanobu Asano should be praised for effectively portraying Yabu to draw out the audience's conflicting emotions on him. You hate his character Yabu for what he does yet at the same time you can't help but be invested in that character and focus on him.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Jesus...

Cougerboy

Cougerboy

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 16, 2024, 10:30:04 PMJesus...

My wife, who hasn't read the book, didn't know what was coming. She was simply devastated emotionally at the end of the episode...but then when on to praise the episode as really well done.

Never say no to Panda!

Never say no to Panda!

Quite happy, that the whole (no chemistry) thing between Blackthorne and Mariko is not in the center of the show...it felt much more prominent in the old show. Felt like they moved screentime from that to Mariko (such a good actress) and scenes not including Blackthorne, good decision. Excellent episode, once again.

Spoiler
Guess that's the end for a potential spinoff Blackthorne & Yabushige buddy tv series, that sneaky little bastard. Though, it's in his nature. You can't be mad at him. 
[close]

ace3g

ace3g

Cougerboy

Cougerboy

Quote from: Never say no to Panda! on Apr 17, 2024, 08:28:43 AMQuite happy, that the whole (no chemistry) thing between Blackthorne and Mariko is not in the center of the show...it felt much more prominent in the old show. Felt like they moved screentime from that to Mariko (such a good actress) and scenes not including Blackthorne, good decision. Excellent episode, once again.

Spoiler
Guess that's the end for a potential spinoff Blackthorne & Yabushige buddy tv series, that sneaky little bastard. Though, it's in his nature. You can't be mad at him. 
[close]

Anna Sawai is a great actress. I think you agree with me her performance in Shogun as Mariko is excellent. She deserves to win an Emmy.

Also, when Mariko says a flower is only a flower when it falls off to Ochiba, not only is that poetic, but there are several layers of meaning to that phrase. On one layer, Mariko as the metaphor for the flower is only valuable when she choose to do what she needs to do for Toranaga. On another layer, its an observation of the transient nature of beauty and life, a very Buddhist philosophical worldview. Remember, Japanese culture is highly influenced by Buddhism (and Zen Budhhism at that), many in the samurai class were devoted Buddhists. Buddhism believe that nothing is truly permanent or everlasting. Including flowers and the beauty of youth, they don't last. So to try and hold onto impermanence is the wrong path. Thus Mariko accepts that since human existence isn't permanent, why not do something truly worthwhile for the future of Japan.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Tomorrow's the big day...

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Absolutely adored the finale. What a perfect cap to this series.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

What's in store for season 2?

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 24, 2024, 12:09:36 AMWhat's in store for season 2?

Spoiler
Fuji best nun.
[close]

ace3g

Cougerboy

Cougerboy

Yabushige in the first episode : "Why tell a dead man the future"

Toranaga to Yabushige in finale : "Why tell a dead man the future"

Overall, I enjoyed the series. The finale, my wife complained was a little anti-climatic, but Shogun was never about the big battles but more about the scheming and the drama. So the character's fate really hits hard. In the final episode, Yabu gets his just deserts. Omi steps out from his uncle's shadow. Blackthorne comes to terms with living in Japan. And Toranaga unveils his master plan all along. Interesting enough, Toranaga comes off a bit like a villain in how he sacrifices his "chess pieces". But he says its for the greater good and to usher in an era of peace. The ends justifies the means for him I guess.

Some minor complaints...the action scenes can be a bit too dark and hard to see. But otherwise, not a bad series at all.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed