Prometheus - Very Bad 'Creationist' Science.

Started by 180924609, Mar 31, 2012, 09:37:29 PM

Author
Prometheus - Very Bad 'Creationist' Science. (Read 23,704 times)

Space Sweeper

Quote from: Pn2501 on Apr 01, 2012, 05:27:57 AM
don't forget the DIS MOVIE IS DAH SUC IT PG 13 4 KIDS crowd.

family

entertainment

Cvalda

Ahem. *changes into Devil's advocate outfit*

But Ridley has already said he wants the film to be R. If it ends up PG-13, there is legitimate cause for upset and annoyance, because we will be plonking down $15 to go see a movie at the cinema we already know is compromised and not the director's intended vision--for that, we'll have to wait for the Blu-ray and then give Fox around $30 with tax for the pleasure of finally seeing the film as we should have seen it in the first place.

Space Sweeper

Oh, I can definitely agree with you there. It's not in my interests to be watching a comprimised film (especially not as my first time) with a 'proper' version existing.

Pn2501

Pn2501

that imdb will rot your brain fiorina,

i don't care if i have to see it twice in the cinema, if its good ill be seeing it more than once anyway, any excuse really.

pg - 13

Cvalda

Quote from: Pn2501 on Apr 01, 2012, 06:09:30 AM
i don't care if i have to see it twice in the cinema, if its good ill be seeing it more than once anyway, any excuse really.
As will I, but very begrudgingly--I hate spending a lot of money on an inferior, compromised product, all the while knowing I'll be expected to shell out yet more money down the line for the real thing. The evil of Fox.

Pn2501

Quote from: Cvalda on Apr 01, 2012, 06:11:13 AM
As will I, but very begrudgingly--I hate spending a lot of money on an inferior, compromised product, all the while knowing I'll be expected to shell out yet more money down the line for the real thing. The evil of Fox.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjbu0kSEuQQ#

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Ulfer on Mar 31, 2012, 10:11:27 PM
As an idea, it is 100% valid to build a story upon. What matters here is the execution.

Precisely what I've been saying for ages.

We don't 'need' a galaxy to be portrayed as having acid-bleeding biomechanical monstrosities, either, but I can think of at least two films involving them which were pretty damned good.

Just like we don't 'need' history to be portrayed as involving flying DeLoreans, interdimensional blue telephone boxes, intergalactic sadistic safari hunters or blonde schoolgirls who patrol small towns looking for vampires to slay.

But if you got rid of them, some amazingly inspirational film/TV art would be lost.

Also, it always amuses me when people say they can't possibly stomach even so much as a hint of the ancient astronaut theory, because they personally don't like it, in a series which revolves around a parasite which grows from the size of a snake to larger than a man in less than 24 hours without apparently eating anything.

LOL

Would I have preferred it not to deal with that subject? As someone who actually thinks the ET hypothesis for our origins has some merit, I'd have to say... Yes. Not because it's somehow impossible, but because, for me, the derelict represented the ultimate in 'here be dragons'. Something which was meant to be considered alien in every way. A place of Eldritch monstrosities, untouched/untainted by humanity.

But that's purely an aesthetic preference and if any large-scale, big budget science-fiction franchise had to touch on the concept, I don't see anything wrong with it involving certain themes touched upon by the original. I could see it happening...

What matters is how unfolds on screen. Nothing more, nothing less. Just because it involves our origins won't be what makes it a good or bad film. The writing, acting, direction, lighting, creature designs and more will dictate that.

A part of me thinks this weird obsession about how it must be bad because it revolves around that theory, is the result of butt-hurt over Anderson's film, but the ancient pyramid plot point was never one of the primary reasons that film was regarded largely as a creative failure.

Cvalda

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Apr 01, 2012, 06:17:53 AM
Also, it always amuses me when people say they can't possibly stomach even so much as a hint of the ancient astronaut theory, because they personally don't like it, in a series which revolves around a parasite which grows from the size of a snake to larger than a man in less than 24 hours without apparently eating anything.
Hey, hey, hey--we never see them not eating anything. So there. ;D

Bat Chain Puller

Quote from: Pn2501 on Apr 01, 2012, 06:13:20 AM
Quote from: Cvalda on Apr 01, 2012, 06:11:13 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjbu0kSEuQQ#

No no nonono you're doing it wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FDxuMW_9FE#

Pn2501

bahahha i forgot about that one, f**k I'm getting antichrist flashbacks now.

Cvalda

Oh, Bat Chain--nothing like you bringing out a little Von Trier meme-ry to lighten my spirits!

Crazy Rich

4.6 I'll say.

Ulfer

QuoteAs for the humanoid appearance of the biomechanical jockeys, well that is a mystery. How could they appear so human and be of extra-terrestrial origin? I think most people would agree that would be silly.

Some would say that evolution could lead species, on other planets similar to our own, to beings looking like Earth animals (including us) in a general way. We have examples of millions of species since the beginning of life on Earth. On an Earth-like planet, evolution could be similar, with more or less variation, and different courses taken. But at the end, in order to use tools etc., you need certain characteristics and the adequate circumstances.
The thought that aliens of the level of Earth most intelligent species must necessarily be so different intrigues me more than the idea of similarity.

Quotebut the ancient pyramid plot point was never one of the primary reasons that film was regarded largely as a creative failure.

Agreed.

QuoteAlso, it always amuses me when people say they can't possibly stomach even so much as a hint of the ancient astronaut theory, because they personally don't like it, in a series which revolves around a parasite which grows from the size of a snake to larger than a man in less than 24 hours without apparently eating anything.

Well said.

Eva

You guys need to keep up. I'm at stage 11  :)

Spoiler

It's like... how much more black can this movie get...? and the answer is none... None more black...

[close]

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

My timeline was a bit different. I went 5, 1 and then 3... and then got stuck in an infinite loop. Then that loop became strange, and I got Godel-worried.

Quote from: Deuterium on Apr 01, 2012, 03:38:22 AMWhat has been discussed, are concerns that the film is going to use some type of "ancient astronaut" scenario to explain human development/evolution...and possibly the creation of all terrestrial Life.

A story that demands the audience ignore basic common sense and just accept what's happening is a bad story. Science fiction is not immune from this. IMO the concerns of the OP are completely valid, because if they are justified then the entire backbone of this film will be one giant freaking plot hole.

Not saying it will be, but Alien fans have every right to be outright terrified at the possibility of it.

5, 1, 3, 5, 1, 3, 5, 1....

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed