Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance

Started by John73, May 14, 2017, 05:51:54 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance (Read 282,828 times)

DestinyCaptain

DestinyCaptain

Unrelated to the numbers...

At the American release day on Friday, I purchased tickets online. The theatre I chose had assigned seating.  I was able to see seat availability for each showing.

Only the 7pm showing was at 90% capacity. The 8pm showing was about half. All other showings throughout the day were reserved for less than ten people at each showing.

Just seems like there is very little enthusiasm for this film. Dunno.

I was surprised at the lack of turnout. The theatre I chose also caters to geeks and the like. There was hardly any presence there compared to other recent big nam releases I have been to recently.

dallevalle

nice numbers proud of you Ridley Scott

cucuchu

When will we get hard numbers for total WW box office for this weekend and prior? I see a lot of speculative numbers.

PierreVW

It's good numbers.

But Sir Ridley Scott would probably left the franchise.

His biggest hit(THE MARTIAN) is most successful than any ALIEN movie ever.

Sir Ridley Scott doesn't need all of this huge drama. He has better projects.

Mr. Forest

So Covenant opened to about $15 million less than Prometheus and even about $2 million less than the first AVP film.  I don't see it doing well with Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man Tell No Tales opening next week and Wonder Woman opening the week after.  Add to the very divisive reaction from audiences, I think Covenant is going to end up under performing to Fox's expectations.  I wouldn't be surprised of Scott just gives up and Fox ends up putting the franchise on ice for a few years.

Richman678

Has anyone posted a number of screens it was released on yet?

echobbase79

echobbase79

3,761 screens.

Denton Smalls

Next week it goes head to head with Baywatch, which shouldn't be a big problem, but Pirates of the Caribbean 6 or whatever number they're on will unfortunately draw a lot of moviegoers away from A:C. :(

razeak

I went to the 945 showing and there were about 15 people total. I had 4 in my group. I have never been to a showing that starts that late before. It was Friday. On the way out I was eavesdropping and a 16-17 year old girl said she liked it but didn't understand some of it. The boy said there were a bunch of older movies they should watch so she'll get it.

Franchise saved. Lol. Anecdotal ftw.

Richman678

Quote from: echobbase79 on May 21, 2017, 10:44:24 PM

3,761 screens,

How many for Prometheus?

Robopadna

Quote from: dallevalle on May 21, 2017, 09:46:13 PM
nice numbers proud of you Ridley Scott

They are actually not very good at all.

Richman678

I agree I don't think they are very good either, but there's quite a number of things that decreased sales.

Mainly no 3D, few IMAX. And it's also rated R.

echobbase79

Robopadna

Quote from: Richman678 on May 21, 2017, 10:51:22 PM
Quote from: echobbase79 on May 21, 2017, 10:44:24 PM

3,761 screens,

How many for Prometheus?

3396 on OW 3442 next weekend...   covenant was the second most screens ever for an r rated film and the 55th highest opening I think?

Quote from: Richman678 on May 21, 2017, 10:56:25 PM
I agree I don't think they are very good either, but there's quite a number of things that decreased sales.

Mainly no 3D, few IMAX. And it's also rated R.

The R thing isn't a big deal....   R movies easily make money now.  This ahd the second most screens ever for an R rated opening weekend and only the 55th highest opening for an R rated movie.

echobbase79

I guess Fox was hoping more IMAX theaters would book Covenant. I've never been to an IMAX theater, how much are tickets?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed