How is AVP-R "going back to the roots"?

Started by Robotpo, Nov 20, 2007, 10:42:23 PM

Author
How is AVP-R "going back to the roots"? (Read 66,651 times)

superunknown

Has anyone here seen the movie The Hidden?  It's a great cult sci-fi action movie from the 80s about a cop and an alien (posing as a human) tracking another evil alien in LA.

Anyway, there's a scene in the film where the evil alien (in human form) regurgitates a parasitic alien into someone else's mouth in a hospital.

I wonder if that's where they got the idea from.

Space Disc Jockey

Quote from: jimmylace on Nov 21, 2007, 03:28:53 AM
the important thing is that this regurgitation idea...well it hits that nerve...and plus, it doesn't contradict anything we've seen before. It's a hybrid...the rules aren't set in stone.
Regurgitating and egg morphing can co-exist. As for cocooning....it doesn't necessarily have to be solely for impregnation....it could be for food...it could be habitual...hell, maybe Aliens just want to create a protected environment for their little chestbursters. (i.e by restricting the host in a protected hive rather than allowing the host to kill themselves, or for there to be any damage sustained before the Alien is born)

I don't understand everyones problem...I mean, I was DYING to see the return of egg-morphing, but this idea is still a welcome addition and is a million miles away from the tone of AvP1.

Exactly. We have not seen this before, therefore it CAN be introduced and it CAN work. It is adding something to the Alien cycle...but more, it's adding something to the Queen cycle. No movie has ever shown us the Queen running around free, between burster and full-grown. It's a survival method and something probably borns Aliens at a fast rate, so that she can construct a hive and settle-down and mass produce the eggs (which, I guess she doesn't do in this movie).

It's something new to the Alien cycle from different directors. Live with it. Other directors have done the SAME thing for years. All those other Alien cycle/Alien characterstic ideas in the films were from other directors/writers...why can't that apply now to this film and these directors?

You are telling them they can't add something, because of what the other directors did, therefore what the other directors did is set in stone and NOTHING else can be added/introduced? Come on. Think about that, people.

Egg morphing, an idea that was originally left on the cutting-board...mainly because of pacing, but maybe there were other factors. I'm not saying it was a bad idea to begin with. With the first film, ANYTHING was possible.

Queen, an idea Cameron came up with in order to explain the eggs and how he saw the Aliens as more of a bee/ant colony. The ridged head design. His and Winston's idea/interpretation, but at the same time, they kept alot of the same stuff that was established in the first film. They were just expanding/building upon it.

Wolfs Girl

Quote from: Colin_Strause on Nov 21, 2007, 01:51:53 AM
Quote from: Plokoon111 on Nov 21, 2007, 01:50:54 AM
It depends, hopefully its good. I hat how people think the predalien is just going to puke, it might most likey be a tube being inserted into the hosts mouth out of the predalien's mouth. And Colin where are those good pred face shots, you promised?

Just waiting to hear back from Fox on how many we can show. I bet you next week they'll be posted.... hopefully.
I hope so!!
Can't bloody wait!

Anomaly

Quote from: Space Disc Jockey on Nov 21, 2007, 03:50:31 AM

Queen, an idea Cameron came up with in order to explain the eggs and how he saw the Aliens as more of a bee/ant colony. The ridged head design. His and Winston's idea/interpretation, but at the same time, they kept alot of the same stuff that was established in the first film. They were just expanding/building upon it.

The problem is this new regurgitation idea sounds like it came from one of those gimmicky film makers, not a visionary.

SM

SM

QuoteLive with it.

How about - not.

As I've said before - if they want have barfing Aliens with pecs; fine.  But don't think we're so stupid as to accept that it's an Alien film, when all this stuff screams "Cheap early-1980s ripoff".

Space Disc Jockey

Space Disc Jockey

Quote from: SM on Nov 21, 2007, 03:40:42 AM
QuoteOpen that box and think outside of it.

Shows more creativity to work within the rules to get what you want rather than re-writing them because they don't suit.

There were no rules for this situation. What do you expect a young-Queen to do, if she can't mass produce? This is not re-writing anything.

If you mean by "rules" in that the lone Alien should do egg-morphing, maybe that doesn't apply to the Queen.

How is this movie breaking ANY rules, if the situation is not the same? This isn't a full-grown Queen. This is a Queen growing and starting from scratch. And no, this is not the same situation as Alien Resurrection.

This regurgitation method, I'm assuming, only applies to the Queen. It can behave differenly, than a lone Alien warrior, which very well might egg-morph it's victims.

Once again, people are relying ONLY on the previous films for comfort and think everything in the Alien cycle has already been established and ANYTHING that can be introduced, in situations the previous films never showed, should never be introduced.

I think there have been enough Alien films that have followed "rules" and it's time we get something new, but at the same time, keep those rules.

I don't see how this regurgitation method breaks anything in the Alien cycle, especially the stages of the Queen. If this only applies to a Queen, then I'm all for it.

You think it's not necessary, becauase you have not seen it before. If you saw it in previous films, would you have the same opinion you have now?

SiL

There are 192 pages proving you wrong, Space Disc Jockey. Go look at the reproduction thread. Colin Strause even backpeddled from his original statement and redefined where the method came from, clearly showing that

A) He knew he was wrong
B) He and co. hadn't actually though the idea through in the slightest
C) He's an idiot.

Anomaly

Quote from: Space Disc Jockey on Nov 21, 2007, 04:04:54 AM
You think it's not necessary, becauase you have not seen it before. If you saw it in previous films, would you have the same opinion you have now?

Past films already HAVE been rejected. It just sounds like A: Res level of skill to me. If AVP-R's good otherwise though, I wont care too much.

SM

SM

Like it or loathe it - and I know many fall into the latter category - Res still followed the rules setup in earlier films. 

QuoteThere were no rules for this situation. What do you expect a young-Queen to do, if she can't mass produce?

Lay eggs.  Like Queens are supposed to.

QuoteHow is this movie breaking ANY rules, if the situation is not the same? This isn't a full-grown Queen. This is a Queen growing and starting from scratch. And no, this is not the same situation as Alien Resurrection.

I'm not sure how to respond to this because I'm not sure you've actually seen all the Alien films.

QuoteI think there have been enough Alien films that have followed "rules" and it's time we get something new, but at the same time, keep those rules.

What?  You want to ditch the rules, but still keep them?

QuoteYou think it's not necessary, becauase you have not seen it before. If you saw it in previous films, would you have the same opinion you have now?

If it had been introduced in Alien or even Aliens and didn't conflict with Alien - no dramas.  However, this is obviously no the case.

SM

SM

By "whack spins" I assume you're predominantly talking about the Newborn.  Which many fans hate passionately.  If S1 and S2 are such passionate fans, one woulda thunk they wouldn't want to go too left field with their flick, since this is what Resurrection did and it didn't go down to well.

There's all this talk about "going back to the roots" which in the case of Alien is Alien and Aliens.  Anderson said much the same thing (and didn't seem to learn anything apparently).  It's not just a case of studying Alien and Aliens and trying to emulate what they did right, but also look at Alien3 and Resurrection and try to avoid what they did wrong.

Anomaly

Forget it..  who cares. lol

ArielAleXCo

Quote from: Robotpo on Nov 20, 2007, 10:42:23 PM
-Characters. Original films, "Alien/Aliens/Predator/Predator 2," all had ADULT characters with unique professions/character arcs, involving motivations, and were played by, with the exception of Predator, talented actors. AVP-R has a bunch of Colorado hicks in a hick town who, instead of piloting deep-space ore refineries, deliver pizza

whatta f**k!¡? Kevin Peter Hall had more talent that that asshole the played alien.

... i was about to continue answering your post... but is useless you have a lot of problems with perspective.

superunknown

Quote from: ArielAleXCo on Nov 21, 2007, 04:36:49 AM
Quote from: Robotpo on Nov 20, 2007, 10:42:23 PM
-Characters. Original films, "Alien/Aliens/Predator/Predator 2," all had ADULT characters with unique professions/character arcs, involving motivations, and were played by, with the exception of Predator, talented actors. AVP-R has a bunch of Colorado hicks in a hick town who, instead of piloting deep-space ore refineries, deliver pizza

whatta f**k!¡? Kevin Peter Hall had more talent that that asshole the played alien.

No. 

SiL

Why was he an asshole? Have you met him personally?

Anomaly

Anomaly

Quote from: SM on Nov 21, 2007, 04:30:38 AM

There's all this talk about "going back to the roots" which in the case of Alien is Alien and Aliens.  Anderson said much the same thing (and didn't seem to learn anything apparently).

EVERYBODY tries this "cuddle with fanbase" card nowadays.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed