Anyone else dissapointed that no xenos will be in Prometheus?

Started by ackling17, May 08, 2012, 03:39:27 AM

Author
Anyone else dissapointed that no xenos will be in Prometheus? (Read 15,499 times)

AVP-CAPCOM

AVP-CAPCOM

Yes- I am.

IMO I was expecting a reboot of the ALIEN franchise- an "ALIEN- BEGINS" style film very much like what Chris Nolan did with the Batman Begins/The Dark Knight/Rises.

But with a modest $100 budget me thinks Ridley cut the ALIENS out of Prometheus due to budget- expensive CGI/Puppetry constraints.

Tell you the truth I have always wanted a decent ALIENS sequel that is bigger and badder (like ALIENS- EARTH WAR comic).

When I heard Ridley Scott was doing a prequel my initial thought was "so what?" If anything if Ridley's originally conceived ALIEN 1979 had been filmed there wouldn't have been a sequel to ALIENS due to the "coccooning" sequence that proved you don't need a Queen (humans turning into eggs). There was also an unfilmed set piece due to budget constraints- that suggested an ancient race of engineers in an Ancient Pyramid created the ALIENS and that the Space Jockeys ship (parked next to the structure) was a previous victim before the crew of the Nostromo.

Of course these ideas seem to be featuring in Prometheus instead so I think Scott is just retreating on old ground.

Predaker

So by focusing on the space jockey instead of the xenomorph, Ridley is just retreading old ground? ;)

AVP-CAPCOM

Quote from: Predaker on May 17, 2012, 04:54:16 PM
So by focusing on the space jockey instead of the xenomorph, Ridley is just retreading old ground? ;)

Well it's the Prequel no one asked for.

I am definately in camp "ALIENS 1986" so I think what James Cameron did in that film is the most influential on the franchise. From the disitinct "blue logo font" to the design of the ALIENS warrior, Queen, APC, Dropship, Sulaco, Pulse Rifle, Smartgun, motion tracker..........ah hell ALIENS IS the franchise!

Let's face it without ALIENS I doubt anyone would have remembered ALIEN.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: AVP-CAPCOM on May 17, 2012, 05:16:22 PM
Let's face it without ALIENS I doubt anyone would have remembered ALIEN.

I'd have to disagree there. The chestburster scene alone would have been enough to make Alien memorable. Its still the scene most associated with the film, and the whole franchise (at least in my personal experience).

I'm really interested in the direction Prometheus is heading. I can't wait to see what new ideas and concepts it introduces!

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on May 17, 2012, 08:10:34 PM
I'd have to disagree there. The chestburster scene alone would have been enough to make Alien memorable. Its still the scene most associated with the film, and the whole franchise (at least in my personal experience).
You are right -- it is still parodied, referenced and mentioned a real lot.

AVP-CAPCOM

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on May 17, 2012, 08:10:34 PMI'm really interested in the direction Prometheus is heading. I can't wait to see what new ideas and concepts it introduces!

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: AVP-CAPCOM on May 17, 2012, 09:24:56 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on May 17, 2012, 08:10:34 PMI'm really interested in the direction Prometheus is heading. I can't wait to see what new ideas and concepts it introduces!

http://www.moviegoods.com/Assets/product_images/1020/207121.1020.A.jpg

Haven't seen the film, but I meant new concepts in the Alien franchise. Really excited to see how it ties in to the older movies (and equally excited to see what makes it stand out).

AVP-CAPCOM

AVP-CAPCOM

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on May 17, 2012, 09:43:05 PMHaven't seen the film, but I meant new concepts in the Alien franchise. Really excited to see how it ties in to the older movies (and equally excited to see what makes it stand out).

Event Horizon is an "Alien style" sci-fi horror (with mutant humans instead of ALIENS) and I believe Prometheus will go down the same route.

As for "new concepts" as I said earlier Ridley is re-exploring un-used set designs from ALIEN 1979 that were cut due to budget constraints.

The "ALIEN" was removed due to audiences familiarity with "Egg-facehugger-ALIEN" lifecycle so the suspence and shock has gone.

But now we have "metallic vile-penis/vagina-esque "cobra-hugger" onto mutant human" to look foward to instead. Sadly I don't think Prometheus will sit well with the rest of the ALIEN saga- which in my view is only ALIEN 1979, ALIENS 1986 and ALIEN VS PREDATOR (2004)

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: AVP-CAPCOM on May 17, 2012, 09:58:59 PM

As for "new concepts" as I said earlier Ridley is re-exploring un-used set designs from ALIEN 1979 that were cut due to budget constraints.

Very excited for this stuff, perhaps most of all. I love the designs, and can't wait to see them finally implemented in film.

And as for fitting it with the rest, it seems like it will work as a prequel. At the very least, it will at least be compatible with the first film, but the site directly references Aliens, so its not likely that there will be contradictions there.

SM

SM

QuoteEvent Horizon is an "Alien style" sci-fi horror (with mutant humans instead of ALIENS) and I believe Prometheus will go down the same route.

Dunno if I'd call them "mutant humans" as such in Event Horizon.

QuoteLet's face it without ALIENS I doubt anyone would have remembered ALIEN.

Eh?  The chestburster is one of the most iconic scenes in cinema history, broke conventions with Ripley and created on of the most copied monsters ever.

Valaquen

Quote from: AVP-CAPCOM on May 17, 2012, 04:50:34 PM
But with a modest $100 budget me thinks Ridley cut the ALIENS out of Prometheus due to budget
The recession really hit Fox hard, huh.

Vitriol

Quote from: Valaquen on May 17, 2012, 11:11:03 PM
But with a modest $100 budget me thinks Ridley cut the ALIENS out of Prometheus due to budget

I was just going to pick up on that - the film's looking amazing for such a tight budget!

mastermoon

Well it looks like we would most likely see the xenomorphs again if either an AVP3 or an AVP reboot were to ever be made.

AVP-CAPCOM

AVP-CAPCOM

Quote from: Valaquen on May 17, 2012, 11:11:03 PM

I meant to say $100 Million Dollars!

Even still that is a modest figure for a sci-fi film. Most films these days required a $200 Million Budget (i.e. Transformers 2) a $250 Million is what you'd need for an epic sequel due to inflation.

Regardless I praise Ridley for filiming at the iconic Pinewood studios UK- and not some cheap Eastern European soundstage like Paull W S Anderson did with AVP 2004 where the entire set was only $1 million dollars.

Quote from: mastermoon on May 18, 2012, 02:21:06 PM
Well it looks like we would most likely see the xenomorphs again if either an AVP3 or an AVP reboot were to ever be made.

As an AVP fan I'm not complaining.

However the next sequel will need to be in the future- set in space and have a decent budget if 20th Century Fox want my cash.
Ideally a Lord of the Rings style trilogy filmed back to back.

But pigs might fly as the studio probably don't see a market with AVP.

PHANTOM

Yes- I am.

IMO I was expecting a reboot of the ALIEN franchise- an "ALIEN- BEGINS" style film very much like what Chris Nolan did with the Batman Begins/The Dark Knight/Rises.

But with a modest $100 budget me thinks Ridley cut the ALIENS out of Prometheus due to budget- expensive CGI/Puppetry constraints.

Tell you the truth I have always wanted a decent ALIENS sequel that is bigger and badder (like ALIENS- EARTH WAR comic).

Yes sir, that's what I was hoping for.

Although Prometheus looks amazing and I'm sure Ridley Scott made another masterpiece it looks more like a prequel to Event Horizon than it does to the Alien franchise.

I could be very wrong, the trailer could be leaving out all the new cool looking aliens the crew transforms into or encounters leaving me soiled in my seat. I just hope this isn't some hypnotic movie with a hippie message of life like Sunshine with no real scares. I want to see lots of new xenomorph creatures, action, cool death scenes and Giger type set designs through out.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed