Why the PREDATOR sequels get the face WRONG [Opinion Piece]

Started by bendinglight, Feb 21, 2021, 05:43:58 AM

Author
Why the PREDATOR sequels get the face WRONG [Opinion Piece] (Read 32,851 times)

Kradan

Fugitive died too early. And some of CGI looks really bad. The end

BlueMarsalis79

Still the best Predator in performance since KPH.

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 13, 2021, 12:56:28 PM
Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Apr 12, 2021, 11:09:22 PM
I wouldn't have said it better ! And to be fair the autism angle, while being quite bad, wasn't the biggest problem of this movie like it seems to be for a lot of people.

Now I'm curious.  :)  What was the biggest problem of the movie, from your perspective?

A way too much lighter tone and too much out of place humor, destroying any attempt at making it look like a predator movie in my opinion. Too visible editing problems that creates situations that make little to no sense also.

Kradan

Can't disagree with anything you said. I liked the tone movie was going for though

Master

Master

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 12, 2021, 02:52:09 PM
Quote from: Master on Apr 10, 2021, 07:51:39 PM
Immensely interesting thread! I'll share my insights as soon as I get sober  ;D

https://media2.giphy.com/media/9SIXFu7bIUYHhFc19G/giphy.gif

;D

Wait no longer!

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Apr 12, 2021, 03:20:38 PM
One helluva hangover must've followed !  ;D

Dude, I`m not entirely fresh even right now  ;D

All righty then. At first I`d want to say the analysis by CorderyFX is on pair with my own insight about Predator design and while I do not agree with every single word he says, I think he nailed it in most points.
As for my greater insight in every Predator design I must start from the very beginning. I`m from May 1988. Just abit younger then the first film and I can`t really recall when I first saw Predator. Must have been between 5-7 y.o. cause that was the time I was allowed to see my first movies. What I do remember very well is summer vacation in our cabin in the woods when me and my brother discovered there was VHS rental nearby and we did  rent all Predator (two of them for the time being) and Alien films, and watch`em to the death. I remember that there was time I was lurking for third film in VHS rentals (it was before the internet back then, so I wasn`t aware there is no part 3).
Time has passed and in 2004 AvP hit the theaters. It was the first A-P film  I saw on the big screen (I tried to get in for A:R, but was not allowed by gate keepers) and I was disappointed by instant Aliens but was wracked me the most was when Scar removed his mask. The way first two Predator look without mask was planted in my brain plain and simple and the look Scar presented was just disappointing. Then there was AvP-R and till 2018 nothing did greater damage to both franchises. I learned to appreciate AvP for what it was and how grand it felt . The rest is history, as I joined AvPGalaxy during production of AvP-R.
About  designs, I think what made first two great is whole functionality it presented. Seriously, first Predator should get his own version of Shadow Of The Vampire, cause it looks like breathing living creature on  screen. Second Predator is also one of the Stan Winston`s finest and it cemented how creature should look in the future, right? Wrong. Every other design is downhill from there.

2004 Scar:

I mean, I don`t try to be especially harsh, but just look at it. If Jungle Hunter is German Sheppard then Scar is Pug. You can tell that it is related to Predator race, but common, compared to real deal it is just pale immitation. I admit Scar has his  momments, but it`s the worst looking Predator up to date.

2007 Wolf:

To be honest Wolf is wierd looking Predator. It`s hard to make more in depth analisys cause darn movie is so God damn dark, you have problems to dig out any details out of it. No matter what they did to Wolf though, nothing tops the crime the Predalien was in this movie (most awful design from all avaliable), why they picked it haunts me to this day.

2010 Classic:

The desing itsefl looks good. They wanted to recreate original 1987 look and did it quite nicely, but the animatronics they`ve put inside are cheap excuse to Winston`s achievment. The ressult is gaping mouth with moving mandibles absolutely unable to close itself. Scar was ugly, Classic is failure.

Super Predator:

Crazy design. Animatronics are better with Super Predator, but desing is all over the place. In my headcanon he is badly burned, that`s why his face pattern is so wierd.

2018 Fugitive:

IMO best ADI Predator design, but it`s still miles from P1 and P2. Mandibles are placed to low, pharynx is placed to low and skin around mandibles is the most floopy to the date.

Upgrade:

It`s another mutant next to Super Predator and thus more forgivable in his wierdnes. He has to low placed mandibles just like Fugitive, but what bothers me the most about this one is paradoxically the lack of predator mask, not his wierd face.

That`s my stance on Predator desing. Mind you I focused mostly on the faces, as was intended in first post.

Kradan

But pugs are cute !  :D

Agreed on Upgrade not having a mask. That was a bit dissapointing

BigDaddyJohn

I agree fugitive is the best ADI predator IMO. The work on the skin is better I think. It's also ADI smallest mouth to this day, there's hope for the next one right ?  ;D

Voodoo Magic

@Master

Nice writeup!

And at least with the Classic/Crucified Predator we can reconcile in our minds that this is what a Predator looks like when they're dehydrated and starved, and strung up for days.  ;D

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Apr 13, 2021, 10:46:49 PM
I agree fugitive is the best ADI predator IMO. The work on the skin is better I think. It's also ADI smallest mouth to this day, there's hope for the next one right ?  ;D

I at least can say I think The Fugitive had the best paint job to date for an ADI Predator. But yeah, all I have is a slight hope through Dan Trachtenberg that he can somehow navigate and micromanage ADI through all this and achieve truly a great Predator.

Because damn, what would I give for a Predator to have proportion and an actual neck again. :-\

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 14, 2021, 02:50:45 PM
@Master

Nice writeup!

And at least with the Classic/Crucified Predator we can reconcile in our minds that this is what a Predator looks like when they're dehydrated and starved, and strung up for days.  ;D

I at least can say I think The Fugitive had the best paint job to date for an ADI Predator. But yeah, all I have is a slight hope through Dan Trachtenberg that he can somehow navigate and micromanage ADI through all this and achieve truly a great Predator.

Because damn, what would I give for a Predator to have proportion and an actual neck again. :-\

I can't agree more man ! I imagine if Trachtenberg isn't satisfied with what ADI gives him, possibly he can orientates them into changing stuff right ?

BlueMarsalis79

Never seen that last photo before, love it.

Master

What I'd give to see pressure cables on Predator again. Last seen in AvP-R.  Fourteen years ago!

BlueMarsalis79

Jesus Christ you're right.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Apr 14, 2021, 03:00:33 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 14, 2021, 02:50:45 PM

I can't agree more man ! I imagine if Trachtenberg isn't satisfied with what ADI gives him, possibly he can orientates them into changing stuff right ?

I have to think Dan Trachtenberg would absolutely have the ultimate power to push back on ADI, with perhaps only Producer John Davis and the Studio itself with the ability to counter and/or overule.

Let us pray! Pray to the Yautja Gods to give Dan the strength to follow his convictions without waver!

Quote from: Master on Apr 14, 2021, 03:10:14 PM
What I'd give to see pressure cables on Predator again. Last seen in AvP-R.  Fourteen years ago!

Wait, do you mean the bungee cables attached to Predators (a John McTiernan conception I believe) so a Predator would look lighter on their feet than a 100-200 pound costume would allow?

If so....

YES PLEASE!

BlueMarsalis79

I think he means the bio mask cables.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Trash Queen on Apr 14, 2021, 03:44:38 PM
I think he means the bio mask cables.

YES PLEASE to both then! Definitely!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed