Aliens Expanded - A New Aliens Documentary Announced

Started by Darkness, Apr 26, 2022, 08:03:14 PM

Author
Aliens Expanded - A New Aliens Documentary Announced (Read 33,816 times)

SiL

This is supposed to be more about the legacy of the film than just behind the scenes.

Which further confuses who the target is. There's limited interest from casual fans or general fans of cinema. Die-hard fans already know it.

Their marketing has never really made it clear what the actual selling proposition is here.

Is it just supposed to be a 38th anniversary retrospective kind of deal? Who the f**k knows.

xShadowFoxX

Quote from: SiL on Apr 15, 2024, 12:36:58 AMThis is supposed to be more about the legacy of the film than just behind the scenes.

Which further confuses who the target is. There's limited interest from casual fans or general fans of cinema. Die-hard fans already know it.

Their marketing has never really made it clear what the actual selling proposition is here.

Is it just supposed to be a 38th anniversary retrospective kind of deal? Who the f**k knows.

I got my retrospective hit from AvPG's own retrospective episode. Don't need to pay a hundred $ for that.

Local Trouble

So you're not a super fan then, I take it.

xShadowFoxX

Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 15, 2024, 01:04:14 AMSo you're not a super fan then, I take it.
Hey, if I have to pay $100 for a blu-ray  for a fan documentary of sorts to be a "superfan", I'll gladly not pay and wear "Not a Superfan" as a badge of honor.

Acid_Reign161

Rather spend it on £100 worth of official Alien merch to be honest.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Acid_Reign161 on Apr 15, 2024, 01:11:50 AMRather spend it on £100 worth of official Alien merch to be honest.

Do they make Alien-brand broccoli?

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

Quote from: 426Buddy on Apr 14, 2024, 08:44:08 AMI think everyone here understands just fine  ::) . Doesn't mean we have to like the price and as mentioned their previous efforts have been less expensive. Also their talk about real fans should be glad to pay up is ultra lame.

I'm not defending the pledge prices. Frankly, I think that the entire documentary is redundant, given the comprehensive pre-existing Blu-ray documentary.  Surely the inclusion of plagiarist Alien Theory is a bigger reason to get your panties in a twist. I mean, really, who cares? The documentary has all the worth of one of the several cast and director convention Q&As available for free on YouTube (where the same old questions get asked and the same old anecdotes get told).

xShadowFoxX

Alien broccoli, guaranteed not to burst out of you.

SM

Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 15, 2024, 01:04:14 AMSo you're not a super fan then, I take it.

The correct term is True Fan (TM).

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 14, 2024, 05:51:29 PMThe pledging period was over 18 months ago, this is a second round of preorders that's pure profit for the filmmakers. Buying in now is like buying a ticket to a 45th anniversary showing of 'Alien' - you aren't "producing" anything, it's already been produced.

According to the CEO, this preorder period is the only time you can get it (although he said the same thing 18 months ago for the initial funding). So unless he's a filthy liar preying on false FOMO, then no you won't be able to get it later at a discounted rate.

I don't disagree. If people are foolish enough to throw away their money on a second round of pledges, then that's on them. Not sure why anyone was excited for this documentary in the first place. It's not going to tell fans anything they don't know already. It's a waste of money at $50, it's a waste of money at $5, so... meh, I guess.

I can't quite muster the sympathy to feel bad for the saps paying silly amounts of money to have their name listed among thousands in the credits of a fan documentary; a name that only they will read, like Bart Simpson pausing the VHS of his Krusty show credit.

Wweyland

Wweyland

Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 14, 2024, 05:51:29 PM
Quote from: St_Eddie on Apr 14, 2024, 07:54:44 AMIt seems folk here don't understand the nature of crowdfunding. $50 is not the cost of a digital download.  It's the cost to support the project and recieve a digital download, digital soundtrack and your name in the documentary's credits.

One the pledging period is over, they will no doubt sell digital copies of the documentary for a more standard rate.  Y'all new to crowdfunding or something?
The pledging period was over 18 months ago, this is a second round of preorders that's pure profit for the filmmakers. Buying in now is like buying a ticket to a 45th anniversary showing of 'Alien' - you aren't "producing" anything, it's already been produced.

According to the CEO, this preorder period is the only time you can get it (although he said the same thing 18 months ago for the initial funding). So unless he's a filthy liar preying on false FOMO, then no you won't be able to get it later at a discounted rate.

Quote from: Wweyland on Apr 14, 2024, 09:29:02 AMTheres a certain Reddit thread where people are going apeshit with negativism about this, but then its Reddit.
Yeah, I made that thread.
It's fun to see you arguing with a guy named "Derek" about Alien Theory.

HuDaFuK

The whole "true fan" spiel has never not been utter bullshit whenever anyone's used it.

I expect it from no-name clowns on the internet, but to hear it from project of this scale is truly something.

BigDaddyJohn

I may have used it a while back, but not anymore. Maturing takes time. Not that I'm fully mature now though, you c**ts.

St_Eddie

This project is the Trump's golden sneakers of documentaries.

Local Trouble

I was expecting you to be angrier about this.  Are you getting soft?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed