Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance

Started by John73, May 14, 2017, 05:51:54 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance (Read 285,595 times)

gantarat

"Aliens" make franchise popular fox would not let ridley do that.

Gash

I will hold a similar stance to David in regard to the worth of humanity if the Angry Joe's of this world get their way.

Robopadna

Quote from: PierreVW on May 22, 2017, 04:03:11 AM
Quote from: Robopadna on May 21, 2017, 11:14:09 PM
Quote from: Game_Over_Man on May 21, 2017, 11:06:11 PM
It's made it's budget back, but Fox will no doubt be interfering in the follow up big time. I'll be surprised if Ridley directs again - he'll be producer of course, but I can see Nicolas Refn or even Matt Reeves sinking their teeth into this.

A:C isn't a poor film, it's just average with some intriguing moments. But if you really want to re-ignite the franchise, you need Ripley back for one last stand, one last battle against the xeno's...and the corporate suits!

No, it did not.  People need to stop saying this...   it hasn't made half of it back of just the production cost, let alone advertising and distribution.

I suppose you are happy.

I really doubt they greenlight Neil Blomkamp version.

They are going to kill Alien franchise for 5-7 years.

I saw it and liked it. I would prefer it make a large profit and garauntee the future of the franchise.

But numbers are what they are. There is no point in pretending it's a different outcome.

Gash

So it's sleeper - seemingly misunderstood. Similar to the reaction to Blade Runner, but back then you didn't get the social media bile.

Cult classic then.

gantarat

gantarat

Quote from: Robopadna on May 22, 2017, 10:16:29 AM
Quote from: PierreVW on May 22, 2017, 04:03:11 AM
Quote from: Robopadna on May 21, 2017, 11:14:09 PM
Quote from: Game_Over_Man on May 21, 2017, 11:06:11 PM
It's made it's budget back, but Fox will no doubt be interfering in the follow up big time. I'll be surprised if Ridley directs again - he'll be producer of course, but I can see Nicolas Refn or even Matt Reeves sinking their teeth into this.

A:C isn't a poor film, it's just average with some intriguing moments. But if you really want to re-ignite the franchise, you need Ripley back for one last stand, one last battle against the xeno's...and the corporate suits!

No, it did not.  People need to stop saying this...   it hasn't made half of it back of just the production cost, let alone advertising and distribution.

I suppose you are happy.

I really doubt they greenlight Neil Blomkamp version.

They are going to kill Alien franchise for 5-7 years.

I saw it and liked it. I would prefer it make a large profit and garauntee the future of the franchise.

But numbers are what they are. There is no point in pretending it's a different outcome.

Is possible that fox will do sequel on Netflix ? instead Cinema ?

Robopadna

Quote from: Gash on May 22, 2017, 10:24:12 AM
So it's sleeper - seemingly misunderstood. Similar to the reaction to Blade Runner, but back then you didn't get the social media bile.

Cult classic then.

Slow down. Let's not assume it's a cult classic. A film has to actually earn that.

This is also not a sleeper. That term is used to define surprise hits that you never realized made as much money as they did and never had quite the hype.

This had a lot of expectations and it didn't make a lot so far.

cucuchu

cucuchu

So much doom and gloom here...

Why are people assuming the franchise is dead if it doesn't make a lot of money or just breaks even? (even loses a bit, worst case scenario which I don't see happening) Ridley Scott is intent on finishing this and he has a lot of say in what movies get made at 20th Century Fox. The only thing in question now would be all the multiple movies he wants to complete...They may now force him to just do one Alien movie between Covenant and Alien '79 to tie it all up and be done with that project. They will likely have Ridley Scott make it appeal more to the mass audience and there will likely be some compromises. Then in a few years time, I am sure some new director/screenwriter will propose a new direction to the franchise that appeals to Fox and they will be at it again. Saying "death of a franchise" over a movie doing less than ideal, but not terrible, and probably breaking even and making a little profit when its all said and done is a bit hyperbolic in my opinion.

Any update to WW numbers over the weekend?

shawsbaby

I think A:C will hold up pretty well next weekend since so many people go to the movies over the holiday weekend. I'm sure that's why they moved up the release date, to have it smack in the middle of all the blockbusters so when a movie is sold out folks on line will decide to check out A:C instead. I anticipate it'll do business close to Prometheus (which will be nearly as good, if not better, since Prometheus got to "cheat" with 3D and IMAX pricing).

gantarat

gantarat

Quote from: cucuchu on May 22, 2017, 10:57:58 AM
So much doom and gloom here...

Why are people assuming the franchise is dead if it doesn't make a lot of money or just breaks even? (even loses a bit, worst case scenario which I don't see happening) Ridley Scott is intent on finishing this and he has a lot of say in what movies get made at 20th Century Fox. The only thing in question now would be all the multiple movies he wants to complete...They may now force him to just do one Alien movie between Covenant and Alien '79 to tie it all up and be done with that project. They will likely have Ridley Scott make it appeal more to the mass audience and there will likely be some compromises. Then in a few years time, I am sure some new director/screenwriter will propose a new direction to the franchise that appeals to Fox and they will be at it again. Saying "death of a franchise" over a movie doing less than ideal, but not terrible, and probably breaking even and making a little profit when its all said and done is a bit hyperbolic in my opinion.

Any update to WW numbers over the weekend?

Business that why, doesn't matter how good or bad we will see a bunch of sequel as long as movies make profitable.

Quote from: shawsbaby on May 22, 2017, 11:45:44 AM
I think A:C will hold up pretty well next weekend since so many people go to the movies over the holiday weekend. I'm sure that's why they moved up the release date, to have it smack in the middle of all the blockbusters so when a movie is sold out folks on line will decide to check out A:C instead. I anticipate it'll do business close to Prometheus (which will be nearly as good, if not better, since Prometheus got to "cheat" with 3D and IMAX pricing).

I don't think so .

Gash

Frankly I find this desperation over box office receipts a bit sad. It's almost like widespread appeal is some justification for having an opinion on whether this film is any good or not. It's like viewing the film as a hurdle to the next sequel, rather than a film that can be appreciated on it's own merits - of which there are plenty IMHO.

I hope Ridley gets to make another because I like his approach better than any other director who's been involved, but if it has to end with David drifting into deep space with sleeping humans at his mercy, that's a fittingly bleak and sombre conclusion. The mystery of what then lies between Covenant and ALIEN is all the more lovecraftian. I can live with that more happily than Fox sliding Blomkamp into the saddle to appease the indefensible Angry Joe brigade.

gantarat

gantarat

Quote from: Gash on May 22, 2017, 11:50:55 AM
Frankly I find this desperation over box office receipts a bit sad. It's almost like widespread appeal is some justification for having an opinion on whether this film is any good or not. It's like viewing the film as a hurdle to the next sequel, rather than a film that can be appreciated on it's own merits - of which there are plenty IMHO.

I hope Ridley gets to make another because I like his approach better than any other director who's been involved, but if it has to end with David drifting into deep space with sleeping humans at his mercy, that's a fittingly bleak and sombre conclusion. The mystery of what then lies between Covenant and ALIEN is all the more lovecraftian. I can live with that more happily than Fox sliding Blomkamp into the saddle to appease the indefensible Angry Joe brigade.

Problem is Fox own franchise not Ridley So they can do whatever they want.

Robopadna

Quote from: Gash on May 22, 2017, 11:50:55 AM

I think people want good reviews and high box office returns to justify their love for a film or franchise.  They want to feel that other people like the things they like.

There is the other side where if a movie doesn't make enough money, the studio won't move forward with the series.  While that's depressing, that's the nature of a company investing two hundred million dollars+ in a product.  They don't want to break even and they especially don't want to lose money.

Overall people should like whatever they like.  If all the reviews suck, so be it.  If it bombs so be it.  You should still find the same amount of joy/interest in the movie.

Gash

Quote from: gantarat on May 22, 2017, 11:55:43 AM

Problem is Fox own franchise not Ridley So they can do whatever they want without Ridley.

Sure they can, they made AvP after all, and they might make more money aiming it at Angry Joe types.

I'll just watch whatever Ridley makes next - Getty - Battle of Britian? and drift away from AvP Galaxy and leave it to people who like whatever Fox thinks the most vocal fanboys want. 

Naf Neila

Naf Neila

@Gash

The Angry Joe brigade is right about these prequels

Robopadna

Quote from: shawsbaby on May 22, 2017, 11:45:44 AM

We will see but judging by the front loaded nature of the weekend, it doesn't bode well for the long term prospects.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed