Paul W.S Anderson or The Strause Brothers for AVP3?

Started by DARIAS93, Aug 29, 2008, 02:46:07 PM

So who do you think deserves to return and direct AVP3?

Paul W.S Anderson
145 (79.2%)
The Strause Brothers
38 (20.8%)

Total Members Voted: 176

Author
Paul W.S Anderson or The Strause Brothers for AVP3? (Read 67,511 times)

SM

I'm curious though as what "myth" got damaged though. Can't really be 'Predator is more action' when arguably the most popular Alien film has way more action than most Predator flicks. Cloaks aren't magic. They're a device that bends light activated by pressing buttons.

And tonal differences aren't really here or there since the Alien films all have tonal differences anyway and an Alien and Predator punching each other doesn't really change that.

SiL

It's a sentiment that doesn't need to be rational or logical. I don't agree with it but I think I understand what they're getting at.

The Cruentus

Didn't say they were magic but its definitely something that seems to require more suspenses of disbelief. Alien has its share of course such as ftl, stasis but we are never shown how they work, so that is left to our imaginations. Pred tech gets shown a lot. its more on the FI than the SCI.

SiL

We don't see how Predator technology works any more than we see how the future human technology works. Some buttons are pushed and sci fi happens.

The Cruentus

I meant their functions. We see super heated plasma get shot from a small gun with a small power source, right next to the predator's head no less. I don't have any problems with these in the context of the movies, but I am merely offering that that they do have a different tone to Alien which seems more down to earth for the most part. Basically I can see why some people may not think they mix well.

SiL

In Aliens, 99 10mm rounds somehow fit into a magazine that fits into the weapon's handle.

At least the Predator movies don't actually say what's being shot out of the cannon, we all just assumed it's plasma.

The Cruentus

Quote from: The Cruentus on Apr 15, 2024, 09:33:32 PMI meant their functions. We see super heated plasma get shot from a small gun with a small power source, right next to the predator's head no less. I don't have any problems with these in the context of the movies, but I am merely offering that that they do have a different tone to Alien which seems more down to earth for the most part. Basically I can see why some people may not think they mix well.

SiL

Tone, maybe, but you made it about physics.

The Alien movies have utter disregard for physics, much more than the Predator movies.

There's sound in space, ironically.

The Nostromo has laser pistols with no apparent power source.

Pressing some buttons makes engines light up and the laws of physics are bent over a barrel as ships start moving faster than light.

Spaceships, even small shuttles, have artificial gravity.

An alien organism grows to immense size in a few hours with no apparent food intake.

Said alien organism bleeds an acid unlike any known.

Said alien organism can withstand two tons of molten lead dropped on its head.

Ripley can hold onto a ladder with one arm while a 14 foot tall alien organism holds onto her leg.

A melting down reactor results in a nuclear explosion.

Predator plasma casters fit right in.

SM

Quote from: SiL on Apr 15, 2024, 09:25:39 PMIt's a sentiment that doesn't need to be rational or logical. I don't agree with it but I think I understand what they're getting at.

I get the sentiment that Alien and Predator don't mix. I might even agree a bit.

I don't get a "myth" being damaged though. Sure they were crumby flicks but 20 years on there's been a bunch more films and more in production.

The Cruentus

Perhaps they meant lore?

SM

We may never know.

Local Trouble

Quote from: SiL on Apr 15, 2024, 10:12:39 PMSaid alien organism can withstand two tons of molten lead dropped on its head.

I thought it was ten.

SiL

Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 16, 2024, 01:32:13 AM
Quote from: SiL on Apr 15, 2024, 10:12:39 PMSaid alien organism can withstand two tons of molten lead dropped on its head.

I thought it was ten.
It's some.

SM

Sure I "measured" it once and it was around 30 tons.

Neila

I wrote myth in quotation marks because I didn't know what else to call it.
What I meant was that despite the generally poorly received films, Alien was still a kind of cinematic work of art and deserved better than a merger with another franchise. For me it was an admission of a lack of ideas and a new direction that was more towards computer games. Children suddenly liked it too.
There are also people who are of the opinion that Cameron's Aliens destroyed the "myth".
Then there are those for whom the prequels were the destruction of the myth. It's up to everyone how they see it.

Personally, I think A1-A3 is a good work of art, while I saw P1 and P2 as very good to good action films but never put them on the same level as the previous Alien films.
For me there was still a big difference in quality.
A lot changed with A4 and went in a more "embarrassing" direction.
With the Fusion Predator it had reached its sad low point for me.
Compare it to wine and cola.
I like both but wine is more noble.

So please don't misunderstand me, I don't want to offend any Predator fans since I'm one myself.
But up until that point, there was always a qualitative difference between the two for me.

I think A1 is a classic like Dracula or something similar.
P1 is a great action film but not a classic for me.
Even A2 isn't really a classic for me, it's a brilliant action film but it slips into a rather clichéd presentation.
Nevertheless, A2 is far more demanding than P1 for me, which is why I count it as part of the "Alien" work of art.
Of course it also depends on the zeitgeist of the publication.
The 80s were characterized by more action.
Maybe it's because the first films in a franchise are always considered the best.
So I can only give my opinion, whether it is correct or exaggerated,
I don't know.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed