A Series Set In The ‘Alien’ Universe Being Considered?

Started by Wobblyboddle77, Jul 03, 2018, 11:31:07 PM

Author
A Series Set In The ‘Alien’ Universe Being Considered? (Read 52,198 times)

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: Rankles75 on Jul 05, 2018, 01:31:39 AM

Oh, I don't give a crap about the Alien 3 apologists, believe me! I have no issue with them liking that film, but if they have a pop at those of us who want a worthy sequel (for us) to Aliens, I'm happy to bark back... :)

You got a worthy sequel, it's called Alien 3.

As others have said, and myself; I will state again-
There's nothing worthwhile to be gained from a Hadley's Hope series.

Leave Aliens (1986) alone.

Jones The Cat

An Alien Series? Sounds great! But a compact und solid mini-series would be cool, instead of 22 or 23 long episodes with too many sidestorys and characters.

Wweyland

Good idea, maybe its time to try something different after 5 disappointing films in a row.

Original Predator

At this point both franchises are trending this way.  The fanbase's for both are too niche and also too divided.  So when a big-screen version of something comes (alien or pred) the fan base is at odds with whether it's good or bad.  And because they are infrequent enough, it's a blow when the movies aren't well received.

So this is the next stage.  Still feed the existing fanbase and give a little of everything via a streaming series.

TC

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 05, 2018, 08:10:30 AM
I think there's genuine room for more Alien-less projects in the Alien series

Your initial speculation about a Space: Above and Beyond-like series got me all nostalgic so I went to YouTube and the whole season of episodes is there in all its mid-90s glory. It's much better than I remember. If any millennial Aliens fans are curious about what a Colonial Marines series might be like, have a look. The big difference would be that nowadays a series tends to be less episodic (in which each episode is a standalone story)  and more serialised (like a soap opera's continually developing plot and character arcs).

If I was Fox I would stay away from Engineers and Power Goo. The fanbase is too mixed on those stories, and the box office too disappointing.

Here's an off-the-wall idea: What if the series is actually a reboot of the entire original franchise, but told from the point of view of a special ops team of Colonial Marines.

Here's an example:

Ep 1: There's some hanky panky at Thedus and a malevant corporation called Weyland Yutani knowingly despatches one of their space tugs off to its doom before the marines can intervene.

Ep 2 - 3; Other stories.

Ep 4: They come across the wrecked tug which has been abandoned in space and consult its flight recorder, which happens to include the uploaded memories of the onboard synthetic.

Ep 5 - 7; Other stories.

Ep 8: There's a rumour of ructions at a nearby prison colony, but by the time they get there all the inmates are dead except for signs that a lone civilian managed to escape.

Ep 9 - 11; Other stories.

Ep 12; they are sent to an outlying colony called Hadleys Hope, on the way they pick up a drifting lifeboat containing W.O. Ripley in stasis.

Etc...

TC

Rankles75

Quote from: The Old One on Jul 05, 2018, 12:15:29 PM
Quote from: Rankles75 on Jul 05, 2018, 01:31:39 AM

Oh, I don't give a crap about the Alien 3 apologists, believe me! I have no issue with them liking that film, but if they have a pop at those of us who want a worthy sequel (for us) to Aliens, I'm happy to bark back... :)

You got a worthy sequel, it's called Alien 3.

As others have said, and myself; I will state again-
There's nothing worthwhile to be gained from a Hadley's Hope series.

Leave Aliens (1986) alone.

Clearly I (and many others) disagree. Agree on the Hadley's Hope series though, seems pointless...

Nukiemorph

If they're not going to let Ridley finish the prequels, it would be nice if David showed up at some point during the series to tell us what happened and provide some closure on that arc.

HashTag_TheSwag

Just keep Blomkamp as far away from this franchise as possible. We've already seen him make District 9 three times now. We don't need a forth with sprinkles of Cameron fan service.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: HashTag_TheSwag on Jul 05, 2018, 06:16:27 PM
Just keep Blomkamp as far away from this franchise as possible. We've already seen him make District 9 three times now. We don't need a forth with sprinkles of Cameron fan service.

This.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 04, 2018, 10:21:16 AM
So we're debating whether or not to post this on the front-page now that Omega has broken the news but the short is I've known something about this for a few months now, and have spoken to a small handful of people in the know. I've got no real concrete info other than that there's something in the works/being developed regarding some sort of Alien series thing.

Some of the bigger news sites are now also running with this:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danidiplacido/2018/07/05/the-alien-franchise-would-work-way-better-as-a-tv-series/#64040e1616b6

LtJesseRipley

This sounds like a bad idea...

Vermillion

Prometheus and Covenant were bad ideas.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: Vermillion on Jul 05, 2018, 11:03:26 PM

Nah.

It lies in the execution in those two.

Huggs

Quote from: The Old One on Jul 05, 2018, 11:21:22 PM

Nah.

Or rather, it lies in the well deserved excommunication of those two.  ;)

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: Huggs on Jul 05, 2018, 11:24:12 PM
Quote from: The Old One on Jul 05, 2018, 11:21:22 PM

Nah.

Or rather, it lies in the well deserved excommunication of those two.  ;)

The only thing that deserves excommunication are those that want regurgitation.
Which I'm not implying you do, but it's happened to too many franchises already.

I'd ultimately rather have an interesting failure than a well-executed repetition.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed