The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Started by Space Sweeper, Dec 12, 2010, 01:25:23 AM

Author
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Read 374,826 times)

Xeno Killer 2179

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Dec 08, 2013, 08:09:45 AM
Honestly, I doubt the PC was silent due to technical limitations; plenty of other RPGs with massive amounts of dialogue have had fully voice-acted player characters. It seems to me to be a very conscious creative decision on Bethesda's part.

This isn't mass effect; you have 10 races and a gender for each, multiplied by every time you select a dialogue, and they don't use very strong audio compression (I believe they use a lossless compression in their bsa archive format).

I checked my folder and it's

sounds.bsa 931.432MB
Voices.bsa 1,424.370MB

That's 2.35GB just for audio, and the npc voices take up over 50% more space than every sound effect in the game. I think they just didn't want to use multiple dvds, rewrite their audio engine, or spend more money and time hiring the extra talent and putting it in the game. All that aside, making your character mute just to keep it similar to previous games is a pretty poor reason. It's not like they couldn't add "Player character is mute" switch in the settings menu.

Quote from: WinterActual on Dec 08, 2013, 09:28:18 AM
The RAM is no longer an issue but the GPU power is an issue for the XO.
Not a problem at all if they build an engine that scales well across platforms, and it shouldn't be difficult since the consoles are locked down pcs and the xbone literally runs windows now.

If they use gamebryo again we'll be stuck with a memory leaking, stutter-fest, hitching, bug ridden, retarded AI, blocky shadowed, ps2 era animated nightmare of a game that you'll love just as much as you'll hate.

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

There also the very simple conclusion that having somebody say the words you just selected from the screen in first person, through a character that could be any race, gender, occupational attitude, build, and overall look is entirely redundant, would slow down dialogue exchanges, and is retroactive in the sense that the player is meant to be the creator of the character. It's immersion removal, technical requirements need not even be considered when thinking of why they made the choice to have the player character silent; anything else would be f**king stupid.

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

You didn't, I wasn't even directly addressing you.

Feel free not to bother though.

Xeno Killer 2179

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Dec 09, 2013, 01:15:57 AM

my mistake then. the internet rustles my jimmies too easy these days.   :-[

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Quote from: Xeno Killer 2179 on Dec 09, 2013, 02:06:05 AM

We are here for virtual bro-hugs if need be.

Xeno Killer 2179

Quote from: ShadowPred on Dec 09, 2013, 09:18:10 AM
Quote from: Xeno Killer 2179 on Dec 09, 2013, 02:06:05 AM

We are here for virtual bro-hugs if need be.
Didn't I try to convince you earlier this year that everyone on here is an alternate version of me? Best we avoid bro-hugs and bro-fists, lest we fist ourselves.

meanwhile in skyrim

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

I kind of want a mod that turns Alduin into Godzilla.

King Rathalos

King Rathalos

Quote from: KiramidHead on Dec 11, 2013, 12:03:16 AM
I kind of want a mod that turns Alduin into Godzilla.

But Alduin's weak ass would be an insult to Godzilla's strength. :P

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Legendary Dragon

Dovahkiin

Dovahkiin

No, Serpentine. They're the strongest of the bunch, even though I can kill one relatively quickly and easily.

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Actually Legendary is the strongest, as it has an additional Drain Vitality shout, approximately 700 more health, and approximately has 60 more stamina.

Xeno Killer 2179

Quote from: Crazy Rich on Dec 11, 2013, 03:43:31 AM
Actually Legendary is the strongest, as it has an additional Drain Vitality shout, approximately 700 more health, and approximately has 60 more stamina.
It's strength is also boosted by not having a ps2 era texture.

KNIGHT

KNIGHT

All these Dragons I've never seen cause I don't have the DLC... :c

Dovahkiin

Dovahkiin

Quote from: Crazy Rich on Dec 11, 2013, 03:43:31 AM

Oh, okay. That's my mistake. I thought Serpentine and Legendary were the same.

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Quote from: KNIGHT on Dec 11, 2013, 04:20:04 AM
All these Dragons I've never seen cause I don't have the DLC... :c
Mods.  ;)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed