Aliens Colonial Marines Full E3 Demo Footage

Started by ikarop, Sep 30, 2011, 05:00:30 PM

Author
Aliens Colonial Marines Full E3 Demo Footage (Read 68,621 times)

Ash 937

I'm not saying I disagree with you, chupa.  I'm actually quite concerned myself about the fact that the demo looks like it's on rails.  I just had another idea that didn't necessarily point to "consolization." The game already looks good enough to me but I don't want it to be a point and click adventure either.  I also don't want to default on the conclusion that if the game does play on rails it's somehow FOX's fault for ordering such a scripted game. 

Preferably, I'd like to choose my own destiny in this game with the understanding that a story does have to be told and that all avenues should lead to the proper conclusion.  Hopefully we can choose a few characters who live or die based on our own abilities as a player.  That would be a great benefit to the game's overall replayability. 

I also can't wait to find out more about the mulitplayer options this game has.  If the campaign turns out to be on rails, there is still a lot of hope for longevity in multiplayer.  The entire Call of Duty franchise plays their campaigns on rails and yet that doesn't stop it's multiplayer game(s) from being insanely popular.

scm

I want to like it but it just looks so boring, and randy's narrating didn't help at all lol. And what is with the horrible bright red marks when you get hit? Looks worse since everything else is so dark.

Foundationman2

So... The atmospheric processor is gone... How are they still breathing?

Nutlink

Nutlink

Quote from: Stalker on Oct 01, 2011, 01:36:52 AMEverybody thought the difficulty level of the Marine campaign in AvP looked too easy in the trailers, look how that turned out...

It's a demo, they're obviously going to cram the most hectic straightforward action sequences right in our face. I doubt the whole game will be like that.

Other than the lame ass boss battle with Karl and the Praetorian, it was too easy.  The only thing that made it more difficult was the instant acid deaths, which should have been in every difficulty.

Quote from: Foundationman2 on Oct 01, 2011, 02:33:01 AM
So... The atmospheric processor is gone... How are they still breathing?

My 2 part guess is that 1) the atmosphere was partially converted and didn't completely revert back, and 2) this takes place only a couple of weeks after Aliens, so even if the AP was necessary to keep the atmosphere going it probably won't revert back to unusable after 17 days after 20 years of progress.  That and I could have sworn that there were several APs scattered around the planet, not just the one.  Maybe that was mentioned in the novel, I can't remember.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Continuity error spotted: the live facehugger in one of the tubes in the medlab. Bishop said there were only 2 live facehuggers, and they were the ones that got let loose on Ripley and Newt (and shot to death by the Marines).

Oh well, I'm willing to overlook it. Game still looks f**king great.

The red dots on the motion tracker bugs me a bit but I'm willing to overlook that too.

m138jewski

m138jewski

the AVP game looked awesome too, look how that turned out. I'm skeptical, I'll buy it regardless to support the franchise, but I'm not expecting anything sensational.

Chris!(($$))!

Quote from: newbeing on Sep 30, 2011, 05:47:50 PM
Without the lame dubstep and metal soundtrack this gameplay has me feeling better. Well about the shooting mechanic and atmosphere. Its still a little lackluster in the unique gameplay division, but as a first impression its looking pretty good.

This. I want to see more of the customization for our characters. Which I am sure will be a major selling point.

Xenomrph

I bet there'll be customization for the multiplayer, but for singleplayer it looks like you play a specific, named character.

Ferazel

Damn, I've been lurking and waiting forever for this to be released.

While the look of it looks really good, the gameplay looks pretty troubling. There doesn't appear to be much tactical decisions going on. The whole thing looks way too scripted, I wouldn't be surprised to find out later that the entire sequence was just a video that Randy was narrating to make it seem like a live event. I know that they have it up and running, but it just seemed like we were being walked through for the viewers sake which may have meant that this demo was hella thrown together by the devs to get something showable for E3. Which usually means that the game itself is not nearly close to being ready.

Blah blah blah. Looks good, but with trepid anticipation.

Ash 937

Alien3 didn't have a script and everybody complained.  FOX tried to fix the oversight by giving us this scripted sequel and everybody is still complaining.  Nobody knows how to be happy.   :P

PsyKore

This will never really be an official sequel though, even though they keep saying it is. I think of it as more of a side-story. At the end of the day, however, we want a good playable game, not an overly scripted ghost train ride. They can keep proclaiming it as the great sequel we always wanted all they want, it doesn't change the fact that this is a video game and it needs to adhere to better gameplay, otherwise it will fall away just like AvP2010 did.

Valaquen

The only thing that gets me down is the Alien design; they crawl more than I'd like, you can see 'em too well (a really minor quibble - you just see them as fleeting shapes in the movie) and they look a bit Resurrection-ish (looking at the tails and back pipes.) Otherwise, I'm psyched.

Xenomrph

Quote from: PsyKore on Oct 01, 2011, 06:26:28 AM
This will never really be an official sequel though, even though they keep saying it is. I think of it as more of a side-story.
We've already got a thread about Colonial Marines and "canon". :P

PsyKore

Quote from: Xenomrph on Oct 01, 2011, 07:09:15 AM
Quote from: PsyKore on Oct 01, 2011, 06:26:28 AM
This will never really be an official sequel though, even though they keep saying it is. I think of it as more of a side-story.
We've already got a thread about Colonial Marines and "canon". :P

Yeah, I'm just pointing out that if the gameplay will be restricting for the sake of playing out like a movie, then I say poo to that. They can still make their story without restricting the gameplay and killing any dynamics of playability - I hope this is the case.

Sorry, it just annoys me when games are overly scripted, you know. It'd be disappointing especially for this game that I've been hanging out for for a long time.

Razz

Quote from: PsyKore on Oct 01, 2011, 01:53:46 AM
I really hope the final game isn't too scripted. This demo seemed way too much on rails; hopefully it's just an intro of sorts...
Yes agreed but i'm willing to bet that it being an E3 demo they had to cram alot together in those 10+ minutes of gameplay to showcase a good sense of what the full game will be like. Its very rare that an actual sequence shown from any E3 build from any game is similair to the final version.

As for my opinion, it looks good, looks very good i might add but still cautiously optimistic. Will need to see more to sway that mindset but i like what i'm seeing so far.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed