Installation/Deletion Problem! (PLEASE READ)

Started by Weasel, May 19, 2008, 07:30:52 AM

Author
Installation/Deletion Problem! (PLEASE READ) (Read 1,602 times)

Weasel

Weasel

I messed up deleting AVP2 game from my computer, so now that when I try to reinstall it asks if I want to delete the game. I say yes and it says that 'Install Shield has sucessfully finished uninstalling aliens vs predator 2. Some files were not removed. These files may be removed manually from C:\WINNT\

I've checked WINNT but can't find any files that could be related to the game (I've tried searching with Ctrl+F too).

I've tried add/remove programs and I even deleted the files themselves (which might have hurt more than helped) please help! Is there anyway I can start installing without going through installshield or something?

Also, the add/remove programs program says that 1.82 MB is the size of the game. I'm guessing this is the remaining undeleted file?

Weasel

Please? Anyone?

KingKenny

Whenever you install AvP2 it should be to "C:/Program Files/Fox/Aliens versus Predator 2" or something similar. At least do this for Windows XP.

It seems that when you originally installed the game it went into the wrong folder, unless you're not using XP then its ok.

Use add/remove programs to uninstall the game first. Usually there are files that are left over from games that have to be uninstalled manually. These files are usually ones such as your player profile, settings, save data, screenshots, custom mods/maps/skins, etc.

So if any files are left over from installation, they aren't a big deal. You should be able to install over any leftover files such as the ones I previously mentioned (and install to the correct file path mentioned above as well). The game usually installs by itself, or you can run the installer off the cd manually. If it won't let you install at all, I suggest a system restore.

I can't think of anything else that may help you as what you listed is kind of vague.

Space Voyager

Go to the directory where the game was installed and manually delete all files. If you don't know (forgot) where the game was installed try searching for directories like avp, avp2, alien... Unless you installed into Sims2 or something. ;)

Weasel

Well I did torrent download it. X(
I've deleted the files out of program files and every last trace.
I think I'm just going to buy the actual game, hope that the installer goes over the files, and if that doesn't work I'll system restore.

KingKenny

Quote from: Weasel on May 21, 2008, 09:41:18 AM
I think I'm just going to buy the actual game, hope that the installer goes over the files, and if that doesn't work I'll system restore.

Well there is your problem.

Xhan

Quote from: Weasel on May 21, 2008, 09:41:18 AM

Never have children.

jegu

If you don't understand enough about computers, don't go using any illegal stuff. If you would understand enough, you wouldn't be asking help from us. Cos usually when you know too little, you will get f**ked up to the lens bad.
Just buy the game.

Weasel

If you read my thread, it worked before and I obviously knew how it worked bub.
I ever managed to play online with a banned CD key if you can image that.

But yes I am guilty. X(

I'm just going to buy it now anyway so its all good.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed