Started by Sabby, Sep 01, 2013, 02:51:02 AM

Author
Theology (Read 212,312 times)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Crazy Rich on Jul 24, 2014, 01:47:05 PM
Quote from: TheLoneSpoon on Jul 24, 2014, 12:32:29 PM
I like how this thread has become another militant atheist hate thread

This is still the Atheist thread I think, I believe it got a name change, but yea.

It's for theology in general; atheism and theism.

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jul 24, 2014, 03:04:53 PM
Quote from: Crazy Rich on Jul 24, 2014, 01:47:05 PM
Quote from: TheLoneSpoon on Jul 24, 2014, 12:32:29 PM
I like how this thread has become another militant atheist hate thread

This is still the Atheist thread I think, I believe it got a name change, but yea.

It's for theology in general; atheism and theism.

Yea, but it wasn't that before.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

It is now since it was merged with the Christianity thread.

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Yea, I know, I was explaining something to Spoon.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Spoon's right anyway -- these kinds of thread always end up like this.

TheLoneSpoon

TheLoneSpoon

are the athiests not cryin cos they got thrown in with christians?

Sabby

Sabby

Quote from: TheLoneSpoon on Jul 24, 2014, 10:24:17 PM

No.

TheLoneSpoon

TheLoneSpoon

Quote from: Sabby on Jul 24, 2014, 10:26:15 PM
Quote from: TheLoneSpoon on Jul 24, 2014, 10:24:17 PM

No.

some people get mad when atheism roped in as a form of theology as apposed to a philosophy

Sabby

Sabby

Some people are wrong, some people try and correct them. Pretty simple.

TheLoneSpoon

TheLoneSpoon

considering the philosophical or spiritual nature of theology it's pretty hard to be wrong

Sabby

Sabby

You misunderstand. You said that some Atheists get mad when others say that Atheism is a Religion. This is wrong, and yes, it can be annoying, so a lot of people in this thread try and correct that when we see it.

TheLoneSpoon

TheLoneSpoon

I understand completely.

Is it wrong though? One of the several definitions of religion is "a pursuit or interest to which someone ascribes supreme importance." I would say this applies to militant atheists. Though, a rather broad term, and could apply to many things. "a particular system of faith and worship." Now, sans the worship, atheism could work here. Atheists have just as much faith that a supreme being doesn't exist as Christians do. The only real difference is the belief in a higher power and worship of that higher power. So if you consider all sects of Buddhism a religion then really atheism is as-well.

When it comes down to it, it is faith. There is no proof of the existence of a man in the sky, but also there isn't any proof there isn't. And it is faith that makes you believe in something that can't be proven. 

Sabby

Sabby

We're really doing this again?

QuoteIs it wrong though? One of the several definitions of religion is "a pursuit or interest to which someone ascribes supreme importance." I would say this applies to militant atheists.

That's an awful definition. It's so loose it has no utility. By this definition, everything is a Religion as long as someone believes in it enough.

Quote"a particular system of faith and worship." Now, sans the worship, atheism could work here. Atheists have just as much faith that a supreme being doesn't exist as Christians do.

This is a much better definition, but it still doesn't apply here. Atheism is based on a lack of belief. Faith, at least in this context, is belief without evidence, or the belief in things we cannot see and demonstrate. You cannot have faith that you're not sure. You cannot 'believe' and 'doubt' all at once.

QuoteWhen it comes down to it, it is faith. There is no proof of the existence of a man in the sky, but also there isn't any proof there isn't. And it is faith that makes you believe in something that can't be proven. 

You don't prove a negative. Stop moving the burden of proof. It's not on the Atheist to prove that God does not exist, because that's impossible. It is on the Theist to prove that God does exist. Going 'Well, YOU have faith to" is silly.

TheLoneSpoon

TheLoneSpoon

While it is a a bad definition it is still a definition none the less.

You have belief in your disbelief of a higher power. The belief of something not existing, while in a extremely roundabout away, is still a belief. If you're not sure then you would probably consider yourself an agnostic not an atheist, but that is a label we put on ourselves I won't tell you what you are Sabby. See an agnostic is someone who isn't sure of the existence of a higher power whereas an atheist is someone who is sure.

Sadly, the burden of proof is on whoever want's to prove a higher powers existence, not solely the atheists and not solely the theists.

SM

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed