Theology

Started by Sabby, Sep 01, 2013, 02:51:02 AM

Author
Theology (Read 212,385 times)

maledoro

maledoro

Quotejust a thing that came into my mind, how could you hate something you don't believe that exist?  ;D
Simple: we don't hate God.

Quoteand back to what was point of my question. malerdo used a simple beer example but is sounded really stupid to me
Considering that you can't handle a set of eight letters, I figured that you couldn't explain how prayer works.

Quotei know that it was just an example and should not be taken literally but i as a person who knows many believers(catholics to be exact) found the whole example riduculous. i don't want to say there is no believer thinking that way because extremes are in every group but it is a minority but most of the believers don't and i can see why malerdo thinks reliegion is stupid(correct me if i misinterpreted you) if he thinks that that is the way religious people think.
So, you can't explain how prayer works?

Vulhala

Vulhala

The bait  :laugh:

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: Vulhala on May 13, 2014, 12:36:42 AM
The bait  :laugh:
Bait, nothing. I gave him most of the day to say, "I'm sorry, but this is how prayer works...", and instead, he misspells my name and focuses on the fact that I used beer as an example of a desired effect instead of something more convoluted, just for the sake of his comprehension.

No, I want him to lay it all out, nice and neat, how, in his mind, prayer works.

Sabby

Sabby

I hope it's like the Answered Prayer argument.

People pray, and some of them get what they ask for, so SOMETHING must be answering those prayers.

"God answers every prayer with one of 3 answers. Yes, no, or not now"

maledoro

maledoro

Sabby

Sabby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqzCPJjottA#ws

This was great to listen to. Seems every time you get more then 1 Theist in these conversations they end up going at each others throats and telling each other to repent.

Plenty of Scotsman here, but none of them seem true.

http://aattp.org/florida-town-must-open-meeting-with-satanic-prayer-or-violate-supreme-court-ruling/

The PredBen

The PredBen

My favorite pantheist quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xaj407ofjNE

Sabby

Sabby

f**k Jesus, the stars died for me.

The PredBen

The PredBen

Quote from: Sabby on May 13, 2014, 04:01:01 AM
f**k Jesus, the stars died for me.

They did indeed.

MoonerSK

MoonerSK

Quote from: maledoro on May 13, 2014, 12:32:28 AM
Quoteand back to what was point of my question. malerdo used a simple beer example but is sounded really stupid to me
Considering that you can't handle a set of eight letters, I figured that you couldn't explain how prayer works.

sorry for the name misspelling, i didn't wanted to somehow deform your name, stuff like that happens

Quote from: maledoro on May 13, 2014, 12:32:28 AM
Quotei know that it was just an example and should not be taken literally but i as a person who knows many believers(catholics to be exact) found the whole example riduculous. i don't want to say there is no believer thinking that way because extremes are in every group but it is a minority but most of the believers don't and i can see why malerdo thinks reliegion is stupid(correct me if i misinterpreted you) if he thinks that that is the way religious people think.
So, you can't explain how prayer works?

i'm not an expert on these things to tell you how prayer works but from what i've seen prayer is more of a discusion with god, people thank him for all the thing in life he gave them and ask him to give them strength in hard times. if the subject of a prayer is 'give me this and that' than the person would be disappointed. god is not there to grant your every wish, it's more like keeping protective hand over you

Sabby

Sabby

So, "God, please give me the strength to be there for my mother as the cancer you gave her slowly kills her" is your typical kind of prayer then? You realize that when people pray it's very similar to just reassuring themselves. I'd consider it more plausible that they are trying to kick their mental fortitude back into gear, rather then conversing with a mystical being whose response would be impossible to tell apart from happy coincidence.

However one tries to explain prayer, there's always a leap required to get to God. You can explain how it works, what's a valid prayer and what kind of response you can expect, but the 'and then it gets to Yahweh' part always requires a leap.

stephen

stephen

Yeah I've had many a conversation that goes like this:

Me: According to the bible, man is fallible.

Believer: yes Man is fallible and will never be perfect, only god is infallible and therefore perfect.

Me: But man wrote the bible so the bible is not perfect therefore your belief is in something that you KNOW is wrong.

Believer: Ahh yes man wrote the bible INSPIRED by God so the bible is perfect.

Me: Riiiiigggghhhhtttttt.  Ok, IF we accept that the bible is perfect then you must accept that your INTERPRETATION of the bible will always be wrong because you are fallible.

Believer: It's called Faith.

Me: Yes, but you're putting your faith in something that you know is wrong.  Your interpretation of the bible by your own standards will always be wrong, what you know about God will always be wrong.

Believer:  It's what I believe.

Me: Riiiiggghhhhtt.

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: MoonerSK on May 13, 2014, 06:29:23 AMsorry for the name misspelling, i didn't wanted to somehow deform your name, stuff like that happens
I prayed for it to be respelled correctly, but you know how that would turn out.

Quote from: MoonerSK on May 13, 2014, 06:29:23 AMi'm not an expert on these things to tell you how prayer works but from what i've seen prayer is more of a discusion with god, people thank him for all the thing in life he gave them and ask him to give them strength in hard times. if the subject of a prayer is 'give me this and that' than the person would be disappointed. god is not there to grant your every wish, it's more like keeping protective hand over you
What if I wanted him to protect me from thirst? I'd still have to go out and get my refreshment, though the Bible said otherwise.

stephen: I had a similar convo with a Bleever. I was talking at a normal level with friends and called faith "make believe". Someone at the next table turned to us with a scowl and told me he was offended at what I had said. After a few of my questions and his excuses replies, he told me that I just had to believe. I replied, "I have to MAKE myself BELIEVE this stuff?!" His lower lip twitched and he turned back to his meal.

MoonerSK

MoonerSK

ever heard this story?

QuoteA fellow was stuck on his rooftop in a flood. He was praying to God for help.

Soon a man in a rowboat came by and the fellow shouted to the man on the roof, "Jump in, I can save you."

The stranded fellow shouted back, "No, it's OK, I'm praying to God and he is going to save me."

So the rowboat went on.

Then a motorboat came by. "The fellow in the motorboat shouted, "Jump in, I can save you."

To this the stranded man said, "No thanks, I'm praying to God and he is going to save me. I have faith."

So the motorboat went on.

Then a helicopter came by and the pilot shouted down, "Grab this rope and I will lift you to safety."

To this the stranded man again replied, "No thanks, I'm praying to God and he is going to save me. I have faith."

So the helicopter reluctantly flew away.

Soon the water rose above the rooftop and the man drowned. He went to Heaven. He finally got his chance to discuss this whole situation with God, at which point he exclaimed, "I had faith in you but you didn't save me, you let me drown. I don't understand why!"

To this God replied, "I sent you a rowboat and a motorboat and a helicopter, what more did you expect?"

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed