Theology

Started by Sabby, Sep 01, 2013, 02:51:02 AM

Author
Theology (Read 212,373 times)

KirklandSignature

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: maledoro on May 11, 2014, 11:38:09 AM
Quote from: DoomRulz on May 11, 2014, 12:41:10 AMMove to Canada! We can argue stuff over beer and wings ;D
Except all of your wings would be Right.
;)

Well yeah, because they're so damn tasty.

Sabby

Sabby

Something I'd like to share with the forum regarding religious groups (and even new age groups) that may help to explain their dogmatic resistance of science.

I recently learned about a condition called Compulsive Self Reliance. Basically, it's a trust issue where the person doesn't want to rely on others, even for fields or subjects they don't understand. Notice how many of these individuals who are self professed experts on Theology and Science won't ever refer to experts, unless the expert already agrees with their own conclusions?

I have to say, this makes sense of a lot of Theists I've followed on Youtube. They seem to consistently distance themselves from any and all groups to remain their own authority, and spin paranoid delusions to discount people who are more knowledgeable then them on these subjects. The entire scientific community has a hidden agenda against religion, and most Catholic groups misinterpret the Bible, so neither can be trusted, and the persons own findings, however subjective or flat out wrong, are the only truths they can accept.

I'll admit, this is not a topic I'm strong with, so I'm curious what your thoughts are on Compulsive Self Reliance and what role it may play in spiritual belief systems. Feel free to move away from Theism and use woo (pseudoscience) if you're more familiar with crap like Homeopathy.

maledoro

maledoro

Plain and simple, if it conflicts with their fantasy world, they reject it; consciously or not.

MoonerSK

MoonerSK

Quote from: maledoro on May 12, 2014, 01:10:37 PM
Plain and simple, if it conflicts with their fantasy world, they reject it; consciously or not.

their fantasy world as you called it conflicts with your view of the world so you reject it. what makes your view better?

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: MoonerSK on May 12, 2014, 01:28:35 PMtheir fantasy world as you called it conflicts with your view of the world so you reject it. what makes your view better?
Empirical evidence.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

A factual view isn't subjective however.

Sabby

Sabby

Mooner, these are people who believe the world is concave and that a magic force beyond time and space orders them to love everyone, despite that force declaring them evil through no fault of their own.

Are you seriously comparing a world view that demonstrably flawed to Maledoro, as if the two peoples view of the world were somehow comparable?

MoonerSK

MoonerSK

well my point was that he said that they reject stuff that conflicts with their view while he does the same and lets face it none of the world views is proven to be the right one so his empirical evidence is as good as their holy book

Sabby

Sabby

Correct, no world view can be proven to 100% certainly, so comparing them by their provability is useless.

This is why any argument that relies on certainty can be dismissed. We don't operate on certainty, we evaluate everything in levels. What we accept as true doesn't come in a binary format.

maledoro

maledoro

In the Empirical Realm, if I wanted a beer and there wasn't one in the house, I would get up off my ass and go to the store and buy some. In the realm known as Mystica, I would have to wish for a beer. Most likely I would not receive it and have to come up with an excuse as to why I didn't get beer, and I would remain beerless. If by some rare chance someone would stop by with beer, I would have to come up with an excuse as to how the powers that be would contact my friend and get him to bring me beer. That conclusion I would come up with would be one that would most like be untestable and therefore not realistic.

MoonerSK

MoonerSK

do you actually know something more about religions than the thing that they exist and their names?

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: MoonerSK on May 12, 2014, 01:51:43 PMdo you actually know something more about religions than the thing that they exist and their names?
Yeah, do you?

Sabby

Sabby

Could you please rephrase the question? It's too vague for me to give a useful answer.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

I think he meant to ask, how deep is your knowledge of specific religions beyond simply knowing what they're called.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed