Theology

Started by Sabby, Sep 01, 2013, 02:51:02 AM

Author
Theology (Read 212,327 times)

Cvalda

Cvalda

Mr. Sin for Best New Member, Galaxy Awards 2014.

Mr. Sin

Mr. Sin

Quote from: Cvalda on Apr 20, 2014, 04:09:40 AM
Mr. Sin for Best New Member, Galaxy Awards 2014.

Too kind, Cvalda. Many thanks.

I'm becoming one of them... ಠ◡ಠ

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Mr. Sin on Apr 20, 2014, 04:12:06 AM

˓(ᑊᘩᑊ⁎) sounds so ominous

Mr. Sin

Mr. Sin

Quote from: Cvalda on Apr 20, 2014, 04:14:20 AM
Quote from: Mr. Sin on Apr 20, 2014, 04:12:06 AM

˓(ᑊᘩᑊ⁎) sounds so ominous

No, no. I fancy you all is my point.  ಠ益ಠ indeed.....

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

be careful what you wish for

Aspie

Aspie

indeed

Mr. Sin

Mr. Sin

Quote from: Kimarhi on Apr 20, 2014, 04:17:34 AM
be careful what you wish for

What do you mean precisely?

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

It just seemed like a good time to drop that saying.

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

@ Sabby - Well then, it's not fact.

Quote from: Mr. Sin on Apr 20, 2014, 04:06:16 AM
Quote from: Crazy Rich on Apr 20, 2014, 04:04:02 AM
Quote from: Cvalda on Apr 20, 2014, 03:59:18 AM
Quote from: Crazy Rich on Apr 20, 2014, 03:58:21 AM
But it's not fact. Where's your scientific evidence?
Of what?

I was replying to Sin about religion being "insane".

Actually, the word was... INANE.   ಠ , ಥ

[ohwell]Read the first time inane as inane, read the second inane as insane.[/ohwell]

My bad, but I'd say that wouldn't be true, it's always served as a fuel for learning and reasoning which has been argued by many philosophers and still does somewhat today, this was especially true in dark ages Islam where Muslim mathematicians took algebra and trigonometry further, contributed with the base ten number system, etc. The dark ages wasn't actually that dark, just an over exaggerated and overly dramatic title over events like the plague, in fact wars were smaller as opposed to before the dark ages, it was, particularly in Islam, a period of enlightenment and learning.

But I kinda digress with my fancy for history.

Sabby

Sabby

Crazy, I think you're misunderstanding things here.

You cannot use science to demonstrate the usefulness of a belief. It's not a scientific thing.

What you can do is make a case for your belief, so I'm interested in hearing what you think Christianity offers to humanity in the 21st century.

Mr. Sin

Mr. Sin

Quote from: Crazy Rich on Apr 20, 2014, 04:38:08 AM
@ Sabby - Well then, it's not fact.

Quote from: Mr. Sin on Apr 20, 2014, 04:06:16 AM
Quote from: Crazy Rich on Apr 20, 2014, 04:04:02 AM
Quote from: Cvalda on Apr 20, 2014, 03:59:18 AM
Quote from: Crazy Rich on Apr 20, 2014, 03:58:21 AM
But it's not fact. Where's your scientific evidence?
Of what?

I was replying to Sin about religion being "insane".

Actually, the word was... INANE.   ಠ , ಥ

[ohwell]Read the first time inane as inane, read the second inane as insane.[/ohwell]

My bad, but I'd say that wouldn't be true, it's always served as a fuel for learning and reasoning which has been argued by many philosophers and still does somewhat today, this was especially true in dark ages Islam where Muslim mathematicians took algebra and trigonometry further, contributed with the base ten number system, etc. The dark ages wasn't actually that dark, just an over exaggerated and overly dramatic title over events like the plague, in fact wars were smaller as opposed to before the dark ages, it was, particularly in Islam, a period of enlightenment and learning.

But I kinda digress with my fancy for history.

I would not call that a digression and in fact urge you to continue, perhaps then you will deduce what I'm saying, which is no secret to anyone, which is religion is a derivative of other older ideas. I'm not debating the merits of religion itself. That, again, is irrelevant in the 21st century where there are far more amenable reasons to do extraordinary things. Being the catalyst for something great does not equate to eternal greatness. The fact of the matter is simply that religion was useful, and is no longer useful but to a certain human with a genetic predisposition to susceptibility to indoctrination. Its really very simple to understand. I dont look at any ancient idea as mutually exclusive, they are all stolen from something earlier, hence not divine, ergo, allegorical fables, and thus, of no inherently sacred value to anyone but those who were quite literally told to believe in it.

In any event, I have no idea why this debate even exists in an age of recorded history.

Cavelda, look forward to another STORY TIME WITH MR. SIN in a bit! :)

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Mr. Sin on Apr 20, 2014, 05:16:36 AM
Cavelda, look forward to another STORY TIME WITH MR. SIN in a bit! :)

yaaaaay

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

@ Sabby (and Mr. Sin might as well consider this some kind of reply too, this post has some elements of what I'd say, I'm done for tonight and I don't feel like getting too invested to be honest, I'm not hardcore into this kind of stuff)

I highly doubt you would agree with it, but I guess I'll give my 2 cents.

It's obvious that there are the frankly dumb folk in religion firstly (but not all religious people), just getting that out of the way, now it's hard and maybe near impossible for me to talk about the world as a whole in this manner because they're are multiple truths, so I will look more at a specific level as it's more realistic. Understand that if you asked the same of me on behalf of atheism my kind of response would be no different, that's just how I roll as an individual.

Christianity can offer enlightenment and creativity amongst other things to people, of course you can find these things in other numerous ways but there are people who find it in Christianity, therefore who are we to gain say them? My specific example is a 20th/21st century Canadian named Bruce Cockburn (I think it's not actually pronounced like cock), a name that has shown up in my time at the school of environmental and natural resource sciences, Cockburn has had a musical career for over 40 years. Cockburn's lyrics reveal his passion for human rights, politics and Christianity. Cockburn was raised agnostic but in his early career chose to be a Christian to this day.

It's from Christianity that he found much of his inspiration in his early musical career, evident in his lyrics referring to his belief in Christianity especially in the 70's, and was accompanied by lyrics concerning/advocating human rights and environmentalism.

That is as realistic an answer as I can give, because "What has Christianity done for thee world in the 21st century" or even the same question but with atheism are just not good questions in my opinion. What should really be observed is how individuals interpret and use such things and how this has effected their choices in life, such as Cockburn's musical direction and advocating for human rights and environmentalism. After all, religion is just sitting there until the people choose otherwise. Ultimately, I doubt everyone would agree with this but as the saying goes "different horses for different courses".

I'd at least like to conclude my post with something that, unlike the rest of the discussion here, is genuinely interesting to me. The religious views of Albert Einstein. From what I interpreted, he basically threw religion and atheism into the same basket, because though they are polar opposites they are both the same in that neither can be scientifically observed yet insist on being legit regardless. Einstein was humbly content with the knowledge that our knowledge is imperfect, he associated himself with pantheism and is also viewed as agnostic. It's at the least a very interesting perspective and even pantheism to me is an interesting concept.

Sabby

Sabby

You keep on misusing the word science...

Quote from: Crazy Rich on Apr 20, 2014, 07:11:11 AM
From what I interpreted, he basically threw religion and atheism into the same basket, because though they are polar opposites they are both the same in that neither can be scientifically observed yet insist on being legit regardless.

You've stated similar in the past and multiple people have tried to explain to you why this is a faulty statement. How exactly do you observe, scientifically, a stance on a topic?

This might be the third time I've had to clarify this for you, but Atheism is merely a rejection of Religions claim that a God exists. It has nothing to do with the individuals opinion of Religion or science. You continue to demand that this be proven with science, but it makes as much sense as me demanding you provide scientific evidence that you believe in God.

Atheism and Religion are not the same thing. They're as similar as 'would you like fries?' and 'no'. Just because people ask for scientific evidence of things that Religious folks make definitive truth claims on doesn't necessarily mean the tables can be turned. Please try and remember this next time you post here.

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Only I'm not misusing the word science.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed