Theology

Started by Sabby, Sep 01, 2013, 02:51:02 AM

Author
Theology (Read 212,323 times)

SM

SM

QuoteAtheists are smarter then Australians...

'smarter then'  lol

Vickers

Vickers

RobThom's posts are like fun games. What did he mean this time?

Atheists are smarter than Australians.

or

Atheists are smarter, then Australians. (In which case this would still be incorrect since he has failed to mention who Atheists are smarter than).

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

What would be excellent if RobThom is actually just blown out of his mind right now and is trolling the message boards high as a kite.

Vickers

Vickers

You mean he isn't? I assumed he is always high when he posts.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I'm sure he will vaguely almost tell us the next time he spirits himself here.

Vickers

Vickers

SM

SM

Sad that there's so much hate...

Sabby

Sabby

I love Christians warped ideas of what constitutes 'evidence'.

Gman, a Youtuber, says that he has empirical evidence for God. That evidence is answered prayers. Billions of people pray, and some of those prayers are answered, therefore, something is answering them.

Captain Awesomeo, another Youtube, prayed to a can of Campbells soup for a month. He prayed that he would have 60 views on his next Google hangout. On a hangout with Gman, while they were discussing his Answered Prayer evidence, he reached 64 views and brought his soup to the webcam and declared it a God by Gman's own logic.

The conversation has since devolved into whether or not the soup is alive or resurrected. Yeah, soup can be reheated, but who knows if this soup has been reheated. The conversation has split over whether it was Campbells or Heinz.

"Pray to your Heinz and maybe you'll get back into the hangout, since I'm kicking you for being a false prophet"

Gilfryd

Gilfryd

I just think it's insane how you can look at the religions existing today and see how their stories come from an older story which came from an even older story and so on. You eventually reach a point where you realize it all came from beyond primitive people trying to make sense of a world they were hopeless to comprehend for a time being. The idea that certain people fail to acknowledge this is truly bizarre. It has as much to do with history as it does with science.

Sabby

Sabby

Eh, it's not that hard to understand... see, you're processing that whole idea in one lump. Of course it's hard for you to swallow the idea. But people don't just swallow Religion in one go. They take small pieces of it over a long period of time, and all those pieces tend to come with baggage that you're not aware of at the time, and later have to reconcile.

It's easy to go "Oh, how can loving, rational people believe in Hell for fags". Well, we know exactly how they can. It's called indoctrination, and it's a well understood process that can be both gentle and self inflicted.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Remember kids to recite that pledge of allegiance every morning now, uh-huh.

Mr. Sin

Mr. Sin

I so desperately want to chime in, but I fear it will provide me with quite the sleepless night. :(

All I will say is the future of our species expands ever wider as the scientific method closes the gap between superstition and all things tangible. It is a wonderful time to be sentient. :)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Science won't always have the answer. Remember that science is a tool for naming what has always existed. For example, science didn't "discover" gravity in the sense that gravity was always there. Science was the tool used to give it a formal name.

It's the best tool we have though and one we shouldn't abuse. That's the important thing to remember.

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: SM on Apr 16, 2014, 01:27:12 AM
Luckily, there isn't any here.

BANE

BANE

Quote from: maledoro on Apr 16, 2014, 12:48:11 PM
Quote from: SM on Apr 16, 2014, 01:27:12 AM
Luckily, there isn't any here.
Haha, I hate everybody here.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed