Theology

Started by Sabby, Sep 01, 2013, 02:51:02 AM

Author
Theology (Read 212,329 times)

Sabby

Sabby

Lack of belief is a response, though. Doh, should have caught this before posting. I was arguing something totally different to a personal response, not sure why I went down this road.

Vickers

Vickers

Nope. Just because you don't believe in something doesn't mean you're actively responding to beliefs that are different.

It's a personal view. It's not a response. There are atheists who will discuss it and those who won't.

A response is an action. Atheism is not an action.

Sabby

Sabby

Edit: Doh, I see my error now. I did mispeak last, disregard.

Now, to clarify what I meant.

When I say response, I don't mean a personal response, like someone forming an opinion on it. What I mean is that Atheism exists because of religion, making it a response to it. I'll give you an example of what I mean.

Imagine if String Theory, for instance, were to suddenly take over the scientific community, and because of this, many scientists began to identify themselves as Quantists, people who lack a belief or outright reject String Theory.

Now let's pretend that String Theory didn't happen. Would Quantists exist? No. The group was formed as a response to String Theory.

Predaker

Predaker

So what you're trying to say is if there were no God, there would be no atheists?  ;D

Sabby

Sabby

I knew that was coming xD

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: Sabby on Mar 29, 2014, 02:40:53 PMWhat I mean is that Atheism exists because of religion, making it a response to it. I'll give you an example of what I mean.
But what if you were raised in a culture that makes no mention of God to you, whatsoever? No one is reacting against God or religion; it just doesn't get thought of, let alone mentioned, and you don't believe in anything supernatural. Wouldn't you be an atheist?

Sabby

Sabby

Hmmm, interesting... would anyone even be able to use the term Atheist for this person without bringing the concept of Religion into it? I'm not sure you could.

Someone grows up in an environment where the very concept of Religion doesn't exist in any significant form. The word God or Deity or the idea of a higher being is just not in the minds of the people. In this scenario, where the word God isn't present, is the word Atheist present?

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Oooooh, more semantics.

Quote from: maledoro on Mar 30, 2014, 04:22:57 PM
Quote from: Sabby on Mar 29, 2014, 02:40:53 PMWhat I mean is that Atheism exists because of religion, making it a response to it. I'll give you an example of what I mean.
But what if you were raised in a culture that makes no mention of God to you, whatsoever? No one is reacting against God or religion; it just doesn't get thought of, let alone mentioned, and you don't believe in anything supernatural. Wouldn't you be an atheist?
According to Google...

Personally, I don't think you would be considered an atheist because there is no god or Gods to believe in.

Has there ever been an example of such a culture?

Sabby

Sabby

Semantics seem to be the word of the day.

maledoro

maledoro

Sabby

Sabby

Interesting... The person you describe is an Atheist, but what I'm saying is the term Atheist doesn't exist for him, much like the term Religion doesn't exist for him. In order to introduce this person to the concept of Atheism, you must also introduce him to the concept of a higher being.

It's a package deal.

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: Sabby on Mar 30, 2014, 04:38:58 PM
Interesting... The person you describe is an Atheist, but what I'm saying is the term Atheist doesn't exist for him, much like the term Religion doesn't exist for him. In order to introduce this person to the concept of Atheism, you must also introduce him to the concept of a higher being.

It's a package deal.
Are you saying that he has to be aware of the concept of being an atheist in order to be one?

Sabby

Sabby

No, I'm not, I'm saying the concept of Atheism doesn't exist without the concept of Religion. I am in no way saying that being an Atheist is some sort of recognition of Religion. I misspoke to that effect before and have edited, so that may be the confusion.

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: Sabby on Mar 30, 2014, 04:48:42 PM
No, I'm not, I'm saying the concept of Atheism doesn't exist without the concept of Religion. I am in no way saying that being an Atheist is some sort of recognition of Religion. I misspoke to that effect before and have edited, so that may be the confusion.
So...can a person who is automatically without religion (as opposed to one who was indoctrinated and later rejected it) be an atheist, simply on the grounds that he doesn't believe in that which is supernatural? Yes or no?

Sabby

Sabby

Of course.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed