Theology

Started by Sabby, Sep 01, 2013, 02:51:02 AM

Author
Theology (Read 212,375 times)

Sabby

Sabby

Your not even really trying to make it sound like your reading my posts, are you? Start an argument on a legitimate disagreement, don't make one up please.

SiL

SiL

How have I made up a disagreement? Atheism doesn't tell you how to live your life. Religion does. Any disagreement these groups have has nothing to do with atheism, it's just people's opinions causing shit about the same shit they'd be causing problems for regardless of whether they believed in God or not.

Saying atheists are "divided" is f**king asinine -- worse, that there are atheists who agree. Atheist groups arguing over whose atheist group is better is hardly a step up from religious groups bitching about who's "right".

The only difference is people haven't started killing each other over it.

Yet.

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Quote from: Sabby on Oct 12, 2013, 02:22:53 AM
very thin skin
This is very ironic coming from you.  :laugh:

Sabby

Sabby

As I've said, organized Atheism groups have adopted these topics. That's where the division is happen. Correct, they are not Atheist topics, but they are definitely dividing those Atheists who are politically/socially active.

We can debate on how silly that is all we want, and I think we would share some opinions there, but it doesn't change the fact it's happening, and at a very delicate time.

SiL

SiL

And you talk down on religious people for being stupid. How is this any more intelligent ... ?

Sabby

Sabby

Once again, you mistake criticism for Religious belief as criticism of the person who holds that belief. Some beliefs are unquestionably stupid, and passionate defense of them is equally stupid.

I don't just dismiss all Theists as idiots :P Just the ones who demonstrate to me that they are idiots.

SiL

SiL

And like I said, how is atheist groups "dividing" themselves over things that have nothing to do with atheism intelligent?

Sabby

Sabby

Did I defend it as intelligent?

Edit: I don't find the way the discussions have been carried out to be intelligent, but I don't see a problem with Atheist organizations adopting social and political topics for discussion. I'm not sure how anyone could have an issue with that. It would be like getting upset at a Church for advocating GLBT rights because 'it has nothing to do with God'

SiL

SiL

Except GLBT rights do have something to do with God (The whole Leviticus thing).

Also, why are there even atheist organisations? Why are there atheist groups? Creating an organisation around not believing in something -- and then fighting over whose idea of how to live while not believing -- as has been pointed out many times, really doesn't sound that much different to religious groups.

Religion tells you how to live your life, atheism doesn't. so why are there "divides" of people disagreeing how to live an atheist life?

Sabby

Sabby

You keep harping on that like Atheists are not entitled to say anything other then 'We don't believe in God'. These are just groups that try and keep Church and State separate and try and promote secularism.

Comparing Atheist organizations to a Religion because 'they have opinions' is just stupid.

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

Quote from: Sabby on Oct 12, 2013, 01:04:15 AM
Quote from: JokersWarPig on Oct 12, 2013, 12:56:29 AM
I think by some of their posts sabby and Kirkland have proved they're more of a problem with society then they think.

Excuse me? >.> So your just going to throw that out there and then flee? How about explaining yourself instead of trying to maintain moral high ground?

Lets be honest here, you made up your mind about how you where going to talk to me when I originally posted that I was a Catholic. That goes for probably all the members in the thread who stated they have religion.
That's being prejudice.
You talk down to the people on here who have stated they come from a religion as if they're preaching it to you. You're calling them idiots because they basically have a differing opinion than you and that's just stupid. You come off as a dick in most of your posts when the people you're talking down to aren't doing anything to deserve it, other than the fact that they have religion.

If you're an Atheist that's awesome, good for you, you really are one unique snowflake, but Don't jump on someone who has religion an label them an idiot. You don't know them personally, you don't know their reasons, and who are you to judge them?
That's my biggest problem with you and this thread. You're prejudice against people who have religion, you have a superiority complex and you may or may not be looking for attention.

I'm done trying to prove any sort of point to you because you aren't gonna see it and if you do you'll just ignore it like the past point's I've made, you'll play the superiority card, or you'll whine up a storm. Either way we'll get no where and talk about basically nothing for a few more posts so why bother.

Since I know it will just eat away at you if I don't read what ever you say to all this I promise you that I will, but I'm not going to reply. What ever interactions we have in other threads I hope will go better than they have in this one.

Sabby

Sabby

You really think I live for your victim complex?

Crying to me that your being oppressed won't work. I don't operate on or respond to emotional displays like that. I only respond to the words people write, and if I seem unimpressed with you, it's not because I've dismissed you for being Catholic, it's that I find no merit in your posts.

As you've already dismissed my response, I'm sure any attempt to change your mind would be pointless. You're going to believe your being victimized regardless, so I'm simply going to end it here. But I do take issue with this.

QuoteSince I know it will just eat away at you if I don't read what ever you say to all this I promise you that I will

I personally can't stand when people leave like this, just boldly claiming either the moral or mature high ground and then f**king off uncontested. Behaviour like that is what changes the way I treat someone, not what they believe. Respond, don't respond, I don't care, you really don't interest me as much as you think you do.

And with that, I think I'm done for the day.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Sabby on Oct 12, 2013, 06:14:41 AM
These are just groups that try and keep Church and State separate and try and promote secularism.
And, apparently, how to live your lives -- which leads to "divisions".

saintssinphony

saintssinphony

Atheist arguing over how to live life is just like I said earlier about people using religion as a disguise to push their own personal agenda.  I've seen it with atheism, wicca, and even amongst people in CoS.  Hell even Thelemic organizations had this issue. 

Yes, it sucks to have someone dismiss your ideas flat out but I've gotten used to it.  Now that I'm older and have lived some life I see that even if there's opposing views I'd rather it be this way then all of us believing the same thing and/or just going along with everyone else.  Opposition can help define yourself.  If I had no one to challenge me I wouldn't be who I am today. Yes it sucks to have someone try and slam your own ideas but it does help build character to have it happen.

I also don't know if we will ever stop being judgmental.  It's kept humans alive for a long time.  If Native Americans had been more judging maybe they wouldn't have all the bad things happen to them?  In the early days of man, if a group came across some other person and they seemed different chances are this loner would be dead.  That's an extreme circumstance but a group that shares ideas and culture will traditionally be weary of others who act/think differently. 

I'm not saying we shouldn't work toward becoming more open minded and pooling our minds and resources rather than having division.  IMO we HAVE TO work together to get out of the many quagmires we as a global community have gotten ourselves in.  I suppose I wish we wouldn't argue as to whom is right and start agreeing to work together towards common goals. 

Here on this forum I find it interesting to see how so many people think so differently yet we all dig Alien/Predator.  I guess that is why these movie monsters are so cool isn't it?

]http://uk.prweb.com/releases/2013/10/prweb11201273.htm]

I saw this link on the "in the news" forum here.  Im interested to see what comes of this.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: KirklandSignature on Oct 11, 2013, 01:30:53 PMFor every peaceful muslim there's more fundie terrorists just waiting to kill innocent people.

Before I respond, I have to ask out of respect: have you had someone close to you killed by a Islamic terrorist?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed