Theology

Started by Sabby, Sep 01, 2013, 02:51:02 AM

Author
Theology (Read 212,329 times)

KirklandSignature

KirklandSignature

Anyone have any idea on what a world devoid of religions would look like? We need to get scientists working on that shit. I could see something along the lines of a very advanced society similar to the Vulcans of Star Trek.

Sabby

Sabby

Religion will become harmless when living conditions, educational standards and general quality of life increases.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: KirklandSignature on Sep 25, 2013, 06:30:57 PM
Anyone have any idea on what a world devoid of religions would look like? We need to get scientists working on that shit. I could see something along the lines of a very advanced society similar to the Vulcans of Star Trek.

The Vulcans are also devoid of emotion. I'd rather not live in a world like that.

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: KirklandSignature on Sep 25, 2013, 06:30:57 PMAnyone have any idea on what a world devoid of religions would look like? We need to get scientists working on that shit. I could see something along the lines of a very advanced society similar to the Vulcans of Star Trek.
Only with emotions, right?

Gilfryd

Gilfryd

Romulans maybe? Human emotions, Vulcan ears and you're not Klingon ugly...

Eva

Eva

Quote from: KirklandSignature on Sep 25, 2013, 06:30:57 PM
Anyone have any idea on what a world devoid of religions would look like?

Pretty much like this one we have already?

People discovered plenty of reasons to murder each other in grand scale long before the current dominant religions became established and widespread.

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

What Eva said.

Plus, religion didn't come up with the atomic bomb, science did.

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: Eva on Sep 25, 2013, 11:11:34 PMPeople discovered plenty of reasons to murder each other in grand scale long before the current dominant religions became established and widespread.
So why give them more reason to kill each other?

Quote from: Crazy Rich on Sep 25, 2013, 11:27:00 PMPlus, religion didn't come up with the atomic bomb, science did.
Science was the method, but the atomic bomb wasn't made for the sake of science.

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

Quote from: maledoro on Sep 26, 2013, 12:06:21 AM
Quote from: Eva on Sep 25, 2013, 11:11:34 PMPeople discovered plenty of reasons to murder each other in grand scale long before the current dominant religions became established and widespread.
Examples?

Every reason people have now to kill one another that isn't "religion based"
Jealousy
mental illness
conflicts over land, food, and water
petty disagreements
Social differences

there's a few that have no footing in the "religion is the cause of murder and violence" argument.

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Sep 26, 2013, 12:28:01 AM
Examples?

Every reason people have now to kill one another that isn't "religion based"
Jealousy
mental illness
conflicts over land, food, and water
petty disagreements
Social differences

there's a few that have no footing in the "religion is the cause of murder and violence" argument.
Since you were general, it's fair to say that a lot of those have religion to ignite them.

KirklandSignature

KirklandSignature

Quote from: maledoro on Sep 25, 2013, 08:45:32 PM
Quote from: KirklandSignature on Sep 25, 2013, 06:30:57 PMAnyone have any idea on what a world devoid of religions would look like? We need to get scientists working on that shit. I could see something along the lines of a very advanced society similar to the Vulcans of Star Trek.
Only with emotions, right?

Certain emotions could be done away with. I liked the world of "Equilibrium" where they took those drugs to turn off emotions. I could see an advanced atheist society having some sort of way to turn off fear, sadness, and anxiety.

Deathbearer

Deathbearer

Being able to feel fear, sadness, anxiety, these things help make us human.

SiL

SiL

It's usually not a good idea to try start one of these conversations with Kirkland. He makes a point of trying to stand out.

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Quote from: Crazy Rich on Sep 25, 2013, 11:27:00 PMPlus, religion didn't come up with the atomic bomb, science did.
Science was the method, but the atomic bomb wasn't made for the sake of science.
But my main point is, religion or no religion we still finds reasons to blast each other away into dust. But I see what I did wrong there, never mind.

As for what JokersWarPig brought up. College (Environmental and Natural Resource Sciences) taught me that the root cause of many conflicts is conflict over resources. Things like religion is just one of countless overlapping "layers".

As for what Kirkland brought up, I'll gladly keep my emotions thanks, all of them. Emotion is a part of human growth, I believe taking away emotions would stunt human growth mentally. Taking away emotions would be a form of "running away" from problems. But when individuals face problems head on, they develop and grow. Fear for example, when you take away things like fear, you take away the opportunity to face fear, and so we would be deprived.

Deathbearer

Deathbearer

Quote from: SiL on Sep 26, 2013, 12:48:53 AM
It's usually not a good idea to try start one of these conversations with Kirkland. He makes a point of trying to stand out.

He gon' learn today

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed