Theology

Started by Sabby, Sep 01, 2013, 02:51:02 AM

Author
Theology (Read 212,375 times)

Gilfryd

Gilfryd

Quote from: SM on Sep 20, 2013, 04:06:31 AMEveryone that follows a religion is automatically tarred with "ignorant" "brainwashed" "bigot" "sexist" "tyrant" brush.  That's some respect right there.  :laugh:

Respecting the right to have those beliefs isn't the same as respecting those beliefs outright. If you want to believe the world is 6,000 years olds that's fine, but if you want that shit taught in schools... and when they don't get their way they still don't want real science taught. So the kids are being screwed either way with faulty information or no info.

SM

SM

How widespread is that really though?  Outside of the south of the US I mean?

I don't think state schools need to teach religious instruction - if you want your kids to learn that, send them to a religious school.  There generally isn't much of a shortage.

But none of that really pertains to the generalisation I pointed out.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: maledoro on Sep 20, 2013, 12:28:06 AM
Quote from: Crazy Rich on Sep 19, 2013, 10:31:04 PMIf religion never existed, we'd just find other reasons to kill each other and so on.
Nevertheless, it would be one less catalyst.

Quote from: Crazy Rich on Sep 19, 2013, 10:31:04 PMReligion isn't to blame, people are.
If your religion tells you to do something harmful and you're willing to do it for your religion, religion is to blame.

No, people are still the problem. Just because something is written down doesn't mean you have to do it. People still have free will. Religion just makes it easy.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: DoomRulz on Sep 20, 2013, 11:43:28 AM
People still have free will.
That's a whole other can of worms, philosophically  :laugh:

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: DoomRulz on Sep 20, 2013, 11:43:28 AMNo, people are still the problem. Just because something is written down doesn't mean you have to do it. People still have free will. Religion just makes it easy.
I've already agreed that religion is as dangerous as a gun or any other thing used by man.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

It's still dependent upon how it's used and that is up to the person; the human being.

Sabby

Sabby

I've heard this argument applied to guns, and I'm not sure it works. You can use a knife to cook dinner or to kill someone. The killing is misuse of the knife. Using a gun to kill isn't misuse, it's the intended use. The gun was made in order to kill. You can certainly have one as a novelty, but it doesn't change what it was designed for.

Yes, people have the free will to not follow Religion, just like they have the free will to not use a gun, but that choice to not use the gun doesn't stop it from being a weapon made to kill. Choosing not to partake in Religion doesn't stop it from being the tool it is.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

You don't have to use a gun to shoot another human being.

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: DoomRulz on Sep 20, 2013, 01:39:04 PMIt's still dependent upon how it's used and that is up to the person; the human being.
Already been acknowledged.

Quote from: Sabby on Sep 20, 2013, 02:22:58 PM
I've heard this argument applied to guns, and I'm not sure it works. You can use a knife to cook dinner or to kill someone. The killing is misuse of the knife. Using a gun to kill isn't misuse, it's the intended use. The gun was made in order to kill. You can certainly have one as a novelty, but it doesn't change what it was designed for.

Yes, people have the free will to not follow Religion, just like they have the free will to not use a gun, but that choice to not use the gun doesn't stop it from being a weapon made to kill. Choosing not to partake in Religion doesn't stop it from being the tool it is.
Take into account how many religions were created for the purpose of political and other forms of materialistic gain. I'm not talking about small religions like the ones that sprouted in the 19th Century, but even the biggies.

Quote from: DoomRulz on Sep 20, 2013, 02:33:52 PM
You don't have to use a gun to shoot another human being.
No, but they are pretty efficient.

AliceApocalypse

AliceApocalypse

Quote from: Sabby on Sep 20, 2013, 04:19:14 AM
Your not even really talking to anyone right now, as I can't find any connection between the things you respond to and the things you say.

Claim victory if you want. I'm done with you.

Your posts are very disrespectful to those with different views than you.  Believe what you want, no one really cares, but choosing to use hateful language about others only makes you look bad.

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: AliceApocalypse on Sep 21, 2013, 06:49:19 PM
Quote from: Sabby on Sep 20, 2013, 04:19:14 AM
Your not even really talking to anyone right now, as I can't find any connection between the things you respond to and the things you say.

Claim victory if you want. I'm done with you.

Your posts are very disrespectful to those with different views than you.  Believe what you want, no one really cares, but choosing to use hateful language about others only makes you look bad.
Not trying to stir things up, but could you link us to a post where he had used hateful language?

AliceApocalypse

AliceApocalypse

Of course you wouldn't want to stir things up  :D
A little aggressive I think:
Quote from: Sabby on Sep 20, 2013, 04:16:00 AM
That's your reason?

Then your a fool. You criticize others for being blinded by rage, yet you interpret a simple and clear message so poorly yourself.

"I can't be okay with the brainwashing of children"

"Lol, stop having a tantrum"

Blows my mind.

Quote from: Sabby on Sep 20, 2013, 03:40:32 AM
:)Oh ffs, if all you have to contribute is the same poetic tripe that Christian radio hosts love to pedal then please get lost :/ Your not actually addressing or responding to anything other members have posted, your just looking for excuses to spout nonesense.

Being unhappy with Religious influence is totally childish and hate driven. It's so not legit at all. Atheists are all just grumpy men who want an excuse to rant. Doy.

Now go away.

Hard to do on the iPad, but generally this type of aggression Is uncalled for  :-\

maledoro

maledoro

Just getting an idea of what you thought was "hateful".

Sabby

Sabby

Frustration? Yes. Hateful? No.

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Arrogant? Yes.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed