Theology

Started by Sabby, Sep 01, 2013, 02:51:02 AM

Author
Theology (Read 212,323 times)

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: Dovahkiin on Sep 15, 2013, 08:07:55 PM
Quote from: maledoro on Sep 15, 2013, 08:05:47 PM
Quote from: Dovahkiin on Sep 15, 2013, 06:22:13 PMObviously, the phrase "Spare the rod, spoil the child." comes to mind when I think of things that I don't agree with in the bible. I go by my gut when I make decisions in my life. I don't follow the bible with everything I do.
I can understand not following that bit of "advice", but why go with the rest of the stuff and still be considered a Christian? Why not pitch the batch and be of another religion (or "non-religion") that has good stuff? Or be, for want of a better word, a "Dovahkiinian"?

Quote from: Dovahkiin on Sep 15, 2013, 06:22:13 PMAnd I believe in God because myself and several members of my family have had several unexplainable experiences when it comes to God. Like I said, I'm not completely ignoring the possibility that he doesn't exist, but I suppose it just comes down to a question of personal faith.
So, let me get this straight: you don't know what was behind certain things, so it must be something that you didn't had a hand in the workings, and you chose to believe in this thing because you like the idea of it, and you're not willing to do just anything it instructs you to do?

I'm also wondering what attributes God has that you had recognized in a signature left at these events that removes fairies, unicorns, genies, et al., from being responsible for the occurances?

I'm getting tired of this philosophical discussion. Read the above statement. I'm done.
But I had posted that before you made this statement. Would you please honor the questions as a courtesy before you ride off? It's nearly impossible to discuss Yahweh or any other god without being philosophical.

Dovahkiin

Dovahkiin

Quote from: maledoro on Sep 15, 2013, 08:16:14 PM
Quote from: Dovahkiin on Sep 15, 2013, 08:07:55 PM
Quote from: maledoro on Sep 15, 2013, 08:05:47 PM
Quote from: Dovahkiin on Sep 15, 2013, 06:22:13 PMObviously, the phrase "Spare the rod, spoil the child." comes to mind when I think of things that I don't agree with in the bible. I go by my gut when I make decisions in my life. I don't follow the bible with everything I do.
I can understand not following that bit of "advice", but why go with the rest of the stuff and still be considered a Christian? Why not pitch the batch and be of another religion (or "non-religion") that has good stuff? Or be, for want of a better word, a "Dovahkiinian"?

Quote from: Dovahkiin on Sep 15, 2013, 06:22:13 PMAnd I believe in God because myself and several members of my family have had several unexplainable experiences when it comes to God. Like I said, I'm not completely ignoring the possibility that he doesn't exist, but I suppose it just comes down to a question of personal faith.
So, let me get this straight: you don't know what was behind certain things, so it must be something that you didn't had a hand in the workings, and you chose to believe in this thing because you like the idea of it, and you're not willing to do just anything it instructs you to do?

I'm also wondering what attributes God has that you had recognized in a signature left at these events that removes fairies, unicorns, genies, et al., from being responsible for the occurances?

I'm getting tired of this philosophical discussion. Read the above statement. I'm done.
But I had posted that before you made this statement. Would you please honor the questions as a courtesy before you ride off? It's nearly impossible to discuss Yahweh or any other god without being philosophical.

Okay. For your first question, I interpret the bible in my own way. I go by what I deem as right, which the Bible has a lot of great principles to live by in it. But also, it calls homosexuality an abomination. (Among condemning other things that I don't agree with.)  I have several gay friends, so I don't accept that part. And "Dovahkiinian"...I'll have to look into that.  :laugh:

Yes, I consider my experience a validation of my faith. No, I don't follow some things from the bible and if that's some cardinal sin or something, which I doubt, I don't really mind.

I apologize if I seemed discourteous by not answering your questions. I despise discourtesy with every fiber of my being.

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: Dovahkiin on Sep 15, 2013, 08:22:40 PMOkay. For your first question, I interpret the bible in my own way. I go by what I deem as right, which the Bible has a lot of great principles to live by in it.
So, what you mean by that is that I am totally awesome and Sabby is pretty kickass, too, right?

Quote from: Dovahkiin on Sep 15, 2013, 08:22:40 PMBut also, it calls homosexuality an abomination. (Among condemning other things that I don't agree with.)  I have several gay friends, so I don't accept that part. And "Dovahkiinian"...I'll have to look into that.  :laugh:
Damn, you ruined my favorite trap. I love watching clean shaven people (or people with tats) bitch about homosexuals. And don't you dare get me started on mixed fibers! No...no...

Quote from: Dovahkiin on Sep 15, 2013, 08:22:40 PMYes, I consider my experience a validation of my faith. No, I don't follow some things from the bible and if that's some cardinal sin or something, which I doubt, I don't really mind.
I'm aware of those things, but I was wondering about the justification for disobeying a being that not only do you worship, but is said to have the power to create the universe and all that is within and has a steady track record for killing those who do not agree with him. Rumor has it he once killed a planet's population, save for a few people and some fauna. With that in mind, I'd best not piss him off and do what I'm told. How'd you gather the courage to tell him "No, I ain't gonna do it!"?

Quote from: Dovahkiin on Sep 15, 2013, 08:22:40 PMI apologize if I seemed discourteous by not answering your questions. I despise discourtesy with every fiber of my being.
Thank you and I hope I do not seem that way to you. I really am sincere with these questions, but those of a faint heart tend to cry troll when they cannot answer these questions, so your answers are appreciated.

Eva

Eva

I remember watching a Christopher Hitchens interview/argument, where he essentially illustrated how religions are obsessed with death and the destruction of this world, in the sense that the objective for our entire existence is to die and move on to the 'next world'. He really underlined how the most avid religious believers almost couldn't wait for the end of the world to come.

The man can be an argumentative and single-minded brute (entertaining and well spoken nonetheless), but giving it some thought, you can't deny that he has a point.

As for the Bible... it contains some pretty nasty stuff... it essentially endorses slavery, murder, warfare, misogyny, ethnic cleansing and what have you, if you are righteous in your motives.

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: Eva on Sep 15, 2013, 09:19:27 PMI remember watching a Christopher Hitchens interview/argument, where he essentially illustrated how religions are obsessed with death and the destruction of this world, in the sense that the objective for our entire existence is to die and move on to the 'next world'. He really underlined how the most avid religious believers almost couldn't wait for the end of the world to come.

The man can be an argumentative and single-minded brute (entertaining and well spoken nonetheless), but giving it some thought, you can't deny that he has a point.
One really should scrutinize a crucifix when they see one. Lenny Bruce once said, "If Jesus had been killed twenty years ago, Catholic school children would be wearing little electric chairs around their necks instead of crosses."

I all too often hear people complain about how argumentive and blunt Hitchens, Dawkins, et al., are and I wonder what the big deal is. I hear people on the religious side spew vitriol just the same. If anything, it's been going on a lot longer.

Quote from: Eva on Sep 15, 2013, 09:19:27 PMAs for the Bible... it contains some pretty nasty stuff... it essentially endorses slavery, murder, warfare, misogyny, ethnic cleansing and what have you, if you are righteous in your motives.
A lot of people either deny or downplay that stuff if they don't employ it.

I'm sorry, but if somebody presents me with a belief system that has things I don't like, I reject it alltogether and either look for another one or create one. (Come to think of it, people do create new systems for themselves and claim that they are adherents of the system from where they sprung and they deny creating a new system as well.)

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Ohhh how I like to avoid these conversations because it feels so touchy.

I personally just live and let live. I believe everyone has the right to choose for themselves what religious belief they wish to follow, they can even choose atheism. I don't like it when people try to prove another belief wrong and etc, especially when an atheist goes at a religious person's throat, I despise that stuff.

I follow my own rule, to just mind my own business when it comes to other's religious beliefs. Believe whatever I choose for myself but don't go sticking my nose in others religious beliefs even if they are the same. None of my business and I humbly believe it's not my place to question another's beliefs. If they have done me no personal harm than they can belief whatever their heart desires.

Personally, I usually keep my own beliefs in reserve, so as to give religious/atheism debaters a reason to not talk to me, I don't like their attention.

This is just my 2 cents.

Sabby

Sabby

So many Theists love to hide behind the live and let live, but when two men wanna get married their not too concerned with other peoples personal freedom.

I'd be more then happy to live and let live, but not while Religion has it's unreal pull in society. Making Theists accountable for their beliefs is not invasive or bullying, it's something every person and organization in the modern world has to go throw, and we've been fed this lie that Religion is special and there for exempt from this.

I'll live and let live when they live and let me live.

SM

SM

QuoteMaking Theists accountable for their beliefs is not invasive or bullying

Does holding atheists accountable for stupid generalisations count as invasive or bullying?

Sabby

Sabby

Of course not, and if you can point me to any such generalizations, please do so :P Wording like 'Theists like to' is a bit dicey, as it looks very generalizing, but I don't use it in that way. I'll edit that for clarities sake.

SM

SM

QuoteTheists love to hide behind the live and let live, but when two men wanna get married their not too concerned with other peoples personal freedom.

So if I believe in a God or Gods, I automatically must think two dudes can't get married then?

Unless you're living in some kind of Theocracy, "many theists" do let you live and let live.

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

Quote from: Sabby on Sep 16, 2013, 06:13:26 AM

I'd be more then happy to live and let live, but not while Religion has it's unreal pull in society. Making Theists accountable for their beliefs is not invasive or bullying, it's something every person and organization in the modern world has to go throw, and we've been fed this lie that Religion is special and there for exempt from this.

I'll live and let live when they live and let me live.

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

Quote from: SM on Sep 16, 2013, 06:51:13 AM
QuoteTheists love to hide behind the live and let live, but when two men wanna get married their not too concerned with other peoples personal freedom.

So if I believe in a God or Gods, I automatically must think two dudes can't get married then?
Even when Crazy Rich, and Dovahkin don't think anything like that.  :laugh:

SM

SM

Crazy Rich and Dovahkin should be able to get married.

Sabby

Sabby

Quote from: SM on Sep 16, 2013, 06:51:13 AM

Unless you're living in some kind of Theocracy, "many theists" do let you live and let live.

Where the hell did you get the idea I was saying all Theists believe in that?

I merely point to the fact that this kind of crap happens and it's not being opposed enough.

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Why is that hiding? I see it more as embracing, it's a matter of perspective I suppose.

I also don't appreciate that condescending tone that attempts to make me feel inferior with generalizations just because I have a belief that isn't atheism.

I'm not even that religious (hence this talk of lies and special treatment comes across as very silly and paranoid- lololol I'll listen when religious people get a 30% raise but not atheists tell me that shit), I just believe in being tolerant and respectful to someone's religious beliefs even if they are not my own beliefs.

You don't see me going after the atheist for what they believe in, so why should they come at me? What have I done to provoke such a thing? Seems rather rude.

Quote from: SM on Sep 16, 2013, 06:57:52 AM
Crazy Rich and Dovahkin should be able to get married.

I'd hit that.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed