Theology

Started by Sabby, Sep 01, 2013, 02:51:02 AM

Author
Theology (Read 212,365 times)

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: Xenoscream on Sep 05, 2013, 12:53:24 PMThe worst thing about being an Atheist (I am one) is the thought of death.

I mean once you die, that's it. No memories, no nothing, no eternal life. Pretty crap basically.
You will not be aware of your death.

Quote from: Xenoscream on Sep 05, 2013, 12:53:24 PMIt's a sorry state of affairs and when I think about it makes me wonder what to do with my life, and if it really matters anyway, I mean the story of our planet and the human race is destined to me a rather short lived one in the cosmic scheme of things.
And that's why you want to live life to the fullest.

Quote from: Xenoscream on Sep 05, 2013, 12:53:24 PMHave you ever noticed how religions sell one thing above all? Some kind of afterlife, that's what it's all about my friends, fear of ceasing to be completely. Can't say I blame em.
Especially since they dwell on the inevitable. That's another reason I despise religion: too much obsession with death.

Quote from: Sabby on Sep 05, 2013, 01:07:51 PMI've always found the idea of an Afterlife... troubling. I mean, if this life is an eye blink before eternity, then what's the point of it? Everything we achieve here will be forgotten after a few trillion relative years in a timeless realm. What if I'd like to cease existing then? I don't care how nice an afterlife could be, nothing will keep the person I am happy and sane for eternity. The only way eternity would work is for me to change for it, in which case, I don't go to Heaven anyway.

I see no reason to believe that anything exists after my body and mind expires, and this makes my life much more valuable. The time I have means much more to me then if it were a step into the abyss.
As I told Xenoscream, life is what you make of it. If you have to assign some kind of meaning to it, then make it valuable. If you feel that you should leave a legacy, then make a work of art or contribute to a cause that you know will carry on after your presence.

Here is an article that may be of interest: Clicky.

Sabby

Sabby

Quote from: maledoro on Sep 05, 2013, 02:52:40 PM
Here is an article that may be of interest: Clicky.

Appreciated :) Will read.

Quote from: BANE on Sep 05, 2013, 02:29:59 PM
I'd say they were rather clear cut and straightforward...

Oh really now? I'd suggest you look back earlier in the topic to the video "Gods Perfect Plan'. There are a million different retirement packages being peddled by a million different sects, all of them unsubstantiated, most of them going against logic and reason, completely lacking in any kind of internal consistency, and almost every single one of them beginning in less educated times by less educated people.

To say that the path to Heaven is 'straight forward' is ridiculous and false. It would be like me trying to persuade you that your relatives should have been mummified, because Ra made it clear cut and straightforward that that was the path to the afterlife.

maledoro

maledoro

This talk of what it takes to get into Heaven reminds me of this video, where Mr. Deity, His Son, and St. Peter (I guess?) encounter a skeptic who is trying to get in...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gnQz32c5EA#ws

Sabby

Sabby

Quote from: Mr Diety regarding scienceI don't understand any of that stuff

Thank you for sharing xD

BANE

BANE

Quote from: Sabby on Sep 05, 2013, 03:00:03 PM
Quote from: BANE on Sep 05, 2013, 02:29:59 PM
I'd say they were rather clear cut and straightforward...

Oh really now? I'd suggest you look back earlier in the topic to the video "Gods Perfect Plan'. There are a million different retirement packages being peddled by a million different sects, all of them unsubstantiated, most of them going against logic and reason, completely lacking in any kind of internal consistency, and almost every single one of them beginning in less educated times by less educated people.

To say that the path to Heaven is 'straight forward' is ridiculous and false. It would be like me trying to persuade you that your relatives should have been mummified, because Ra made it clear cut and straightforward that that was the path to the afterlife.
Sounds pretty straightforward to me.

Sabby

Sabby

If you're unable to actually respond, have some intellectual honesty and say so, don't just disregard whats been said and restate your previous claim.

BANE

BANE

Hey hey hey, don't take my word for it. In Mark 24:9, Jesus says as much. He says:

"Understanding the path to heaven is not fraught with complexity, as it is with the comprehension of the minds of women. It is hardly a difficult task, as the Lord hath given unto thee a guideline in the Commandments".

So boom there.

saintssinphony

saintssinphony

I was raised Catholic but then lost faith and considered myself atheist until I was 16 and read some writing from the Church Of Satan, mainly the Satanic Bible.  I now follow the Church of Satan and I really like where Peter H. Gilmore has taken things.

Atheism was my first step in becoming comfortable with who I am and I have absolutely no regrets in leaving the Church.

I find with what I've learned, Satanism has helped me become more dependable and aware of my actions to myself and others.  I don't think it's for everyone and to an outsider it can seem rather harsh in some of its lessons. 

I'm just not comfortable with any Abrahamic religion nor do I believe in them at all anymore.  I even look at Judaism and Islam today and just don't feel any connection. 

Sabby

Sabby

Quote from: BANE on Sep 05, 2013, 04:07:24 PM
Hey hey hey, don't take my word for it. In Mark 24:9, Jesus says as much. He says:

"Understanding the path to heaven is not fraught with complexity, as it is with the comprehension of the minds of women. It is hardly a difficult task, as the Lord hath given unto thee a guideline in the Commandments".

So boom there.

You're talking to an Atheist dude. Bible verses won't help you make your points, especially when trying to describe what is 'obvious'.

For starters, you need to convince me Jesus is real before you can present anything he's said. Even if you could prove to me that Jesus is a historical figure and the accounts of his crucifixion were accurate, it still doesn't demonstrate that he was the son of Yahweh and that Heaven exists.

Boom deflected.

Quote from: saintssinphony on Sep 05, 2013, 04:15:15 PM
I was raised Catholic but then lost faith and considered myself atheist until I was 16 and read some writing from the Church Of Satan, mainly the Satanic Bible.  I now follow the Church of Satan and I really like where Peter H. Gilmore has taken things.

Atheism was my first step in becoming comfortable with who I am and I have absolutely no regrets in leaving the Church.

I find with what I've learned, Satanism has helped me become more dependable and aware of my actions to myself and others.  I don't think it's for everyone and to an outsider it can seem rather harsh in some of its lessons. 

I'm just not comfortable with any Abrahamic religion nor do I believe in them at all anymore.  I even look at Judaism and Islam today and just don't feel any connection. 

I've had very little info on the Church of Satanism, but I understand it's somewhat like Paganism? I apologize if that's inaccurate Dx Considering 'Satanist' is a word like 'witch' and 'heretic', I'm not surprised that it 'seems harsh'. I have no opinion on it because I don't know enough to form one, but if you turned to it as an alternative to Abrahamic faiths, I'd assume it's a little more sensible?

BANE

BANE

Quote from: Sabby on Sep 05, 2013, 04:19:39 PM

So boom there.

You're talking to an Atheist dude. Bible verses won't help you make your points, especially when trying to describe what is 'obvious'.

For starters, you need to convince me Jesus is real before you can present anything he's said. Even if you could prove to me that Jesus is a historical figure and the accounts of his crucifixion were accurate, it still doesn't demonstrate that he was the son of Yahweh and that Heaven exists.

Boom deflected.
I don't know what church you go to on Sundays, but I think your pastor needs to reread his trusty Bible if he has you delusional like this.

Sabby

Sabby

Yeah, Obvious Trolling is Bad Trolling, thanks for playing mate.

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

BANE

BANE

Quote from: Sabby on Sep 05, 2013, 04:25:12 PM
Yeah, Obvious Trolling is Bad Trolling, thanks for playing mate.
How can you honestly disregard our Lord with the full knowledge that he made you in His own image? It's BEAUTIFUL, and I cry and pray for you each night.

saintssinphony

saintssinphony

Quote from: Sabby on Sep 05, 2013, 04:19:39 PM

So boom there.

Boom deflected.

Quote from: saintssinphony on Sep 05, 2013, 04:15:15 PM

I've had very little info on the Church of Satanism, but I understand it's somewhat like Paganism? I apologize if that's inaccurate Dx Considering 'Satanist' is a word like 'witch' and 'heretic', I'm not surprised that it 'seems harsh'. I have no opinion on it because I don't know enough to form one, but if you turned to it as an alternative to Abrahamic faiths, I'd assume it's a little more sensible?

Anton LaVey chose to use Satan and Satanism because the belief is indulgence is ok which is the opposite of Christianity in that Christians are about self sacrifice and going without.  Fasting for Easter and giving money to the church and not committing sin.  The Church of Satan says to indulge, don't go without, don't hold back, don't turn the other cheek.  Those are just a few small examples.

It is really more than that, that's just a quick answer, there's many writings available on the internet that can give you much more in depth view of why the word Satan was used.  Satanist actually don't believe in the Christian devil at all, Satan in Christianity is believed to be a mere construct of mortal man to scare people in believing and to blame for the wrongs of man.  I've found it interesting to read about the evolution of the man made Satan/Devil and how it has been used over and over again in religion but when you look at origins of some religion and look at early texts like the Torah you see Satan isn't a sentient being, it's more of a using the word devil for describing something else.

BANE

BANE

The Lord offered you his hand to walk alongside Him for eternity, to know pure joy and harmony, and yet you prefer to clasp the clawed hand of Satan and gallop beside him towards everlasting torture.

I'll pray for you.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed