The space jockey

Started by gameoverman, Feb 24, 2008, 01:22:02 PM

Author
The space jockey (Read 9,184 times)

gameoverman

gameoverman

So the rumours are we'll see a living space jockey in this game.  Will you fight it - will it be good or bad?  If so, what attacks will it use?  What will it sound like and move like?

Gearbox if you are reading this, please don't base it off the SJ in the comics!  That is all.

Stalker

Stalker

I'd honestly rather there not be a living Space Jockey in the game. It would demystify them too much. Actually having to fight the creature sound even worse. If anything, I wouldn't mind some references to them, but I wouldn't want to actually see them in the game.

Ash 937

Ash 937

The Space Jockey in Alien was a fossil.  I would imagine that a live Space Jockey would look very different and be separated from the one in the first film from years of evolution.  The derilect ship was never completely explored in the movies.  If any of it remains after the nuclear explosion in Aliens it would be cool to visit it...maybe find some more fossils.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Meh, I'm not really for the jockey making an appearance.  Don't mind running around in their ruins, or even one of their ships that aliens had taken over............but I always felt the Alien series films should have been the one to return the jockey to the storyline.

Ccoletta86

Ccoletta86

the games have no effect on canon, so a Jockey making an appearance doesnt affect me at all, i say go for it, the secret/mysterey has been kept for 30+s, its about time to use the SJ's, maybe they will help jump start the franchises again

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I doubt very highly that they won't consider this game canon.  Its not as easily wrote off as AvP or AvP2.  They are using the Sulaco and will probably attempt to explain how the egg got there for the third film.

If they didn't want to try and tie it in, they could've set it on the Patna or some other inconsequential ship.

AvPvTerminator

AvPvTerminator

I am too excited about this game to be really worried about the Jockies.

Quote from: Kimarhi on Feb 25, 2008, 12:43:41 AM
If they didn't want to try and tie it in, they could've set it on the Patna or some other inconsequential ship.

Patna?

SM

SM

Bishop's ship from Alien3.

Another Conradian tie-in from Lord Jim.

QuoteThey are using the Sulaco and will probably attempt to explain how the egg got there for the third film.

Yeah but they used the Derelict in the first AvP game.  Not much difference really.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

True.

Still think each attempt at explaining the "origins" of certain series aspects lessens the desire for writers to want to come up with their own ideas.

If you wanted to write Alien 5 and have the jockey's reappear, consciously knowing a game had already explained those origins would put you off from the idea.  At least it would me, and I assume anyone out there with a similar mindset.

Even if it was done poorly, it was still done.

SM

SM

Verheiden explored it, Friedman explored it - now these guys are gunna explore it.  If hell froze over and I was offered the gig (and stupid enough to accept) for Alien 5 and Riddles said he wanted Jockies - I wouldn't give a shit what others have done.

The only filmmaker who ever paid any attention to comics was Anderson and look where it got him.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

The comics have brought up the Jockies before.  But they outright contradict the movies before the jockey ever makes an appearance.  They also hit a degree less fans than a game will.  Multimillion franchise vs...........the comic industry.

I suppose a writer could do it, but it would fill cheap, and even within series you can get in trouble for following another writers work to closely.

Just not fond of the idea.

SM

SM

You can get into trouble with some fans but DH don't particularly care what with all the stories floating around about Jockies that don't seem to be related.

And the filmmakers have shown - twice - they don't care what EU licensees do.  And the average punter will more than likely make the connection to Alien if a Jockey showed up in Alien 5, than a computer game.

Chocolate man!

Chocolate man!

Quote from: Kimarhi on Feb 25, 2008, 12:43:41 AM
I doubt very highly that they won't consider this game canon.  Its not as easily wrote off as AvP or AvP2.  They are using the Sulaco and will probably attempt to explain how the egg got there for the third film.

I completely agree, especially since non-adaptation movie games are starting to go into canon more and more now.  (enter the MAtrix, Star Wars force unleashed)

Xhan

Xhan

Quote from: SM on Feb 25, 2008, 04:32:18 AM
Verheiden explored it, Friedman explored it - now these guys are gunna explore it.  If hell froze over and I was offered the gig (and stupid enough to accept) for Alien 5 and Riddles said he wanted Jockies - I wouldn't give a shit what others have done.

The only filmmaker who ever paid any attention to comics was Anderson and look where it got him.

Dark Passenger

Dark Passenger

Maybe having one move in the backdrop, like you have to sneak your way by....

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed