James Cameron reflects on Aliens

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Apr 05, 2024, 05:24:31 PM

Author
James Cameron reflects on Aliens (Read 249 times)

Nightmare Asylum

QuoteDreams and Nightmares

While Sigourney Weaver flanked her longtime collaborator at the exhibition's opening vernissage, "Proxima" director Alice Winocour stepped in to lead the talk. Still, the star actress remained a prime subject of conversation – leading to an endearing connection between the two filmmakers.

After Winocour said that she wrote many of her scripts sitting below a framed photo of Weaver as Ellen Ripley, Cameron revealed he had done the very same, writing "Aliens" for an actress he had yet to meet while taking inspiration from her photo.

And though the sequel's visual universe built on the designs of H.R. Giger, the incoming director made sure to leave his own mark on the material by introducing the Alien Queen. "I think Giger was a little disappointed that we didn't hire him," said Cameron, listing off the various biomechanoid features that made the new villain such chilling addition. "But I had so many ideas about what I could do in that same area."

The director also mined a particularly vivid nightmare for the scene in "Aliens" where Ripley realizes she's in the egg-chamber with the angry Queen, or as Cameron puts, "the exact wrong place to be."

"[I remembered a dream] where I went into a dark room with every square inch of the walls and ceiling covered in wasps, and I knew that if I moved or tried to escape, they would attack me dead," he recalled. "Every horror film must go to the deepest and worst place in the subconscious [because] that's the point. That's what you to pay your money for."

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/james-cameron-fantastic-voyage-remake-very-soon-1235961640/

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed