Alien: Romulus Catch-All Thread

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 20, 2023, 06:30:14 PM

Author
Alien: Romulus Catch-All Thread (Read 129,942 times)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Feeds On Minds

Ridley Scott couldn't look less interested in talking about Alien lol

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

Quote from: Feeds On Minds on Apr 29, 2024, 01:56:15 PMRidley Scott couldn't look less interested in talking about Alien lol

To be fair he's must have answered these same questions so so many times over the years. Even I knew exactly what he was going to say before he said it.

irn

irn

It's crazy to think Ridley Scott was a kid during WW2 and he's still making films and doing interviews in 2024. He didn't even make the film he's most famous for until he was about 42 years old - and that was 45 years ago!

BigDaddyJohn

I didn't know the VHS anecdote, nice.

Slutty Badger

I like the whole "dislike of synthetics" thing. Kinda ties in with Steel Team in Alien: Icarus and the Auton rebellion mentioned in Resurrection.

Oh, and David of course.

Wweyland

Wweyland

If the majority of the story takes place on the  Renaissance station, then it seems a bit "lavish" in terms of budget (and plot economics) to start on the "Jackson" colony, then transfer the characters to the ship, and finally arrive at the station.

But maybe it's just quick scenes in the opening.

Slutty Badger

Quote from: Wweyland on Apr 30, 2024, 08:54:11 AMIf the majority of the story takes place on the  Renaissance station, then it seems a bit "lavish" in terms of budget (and plot economics) to start on the "Jackson" colony, then transfer the characters to the ship, and finally arrive at the station.

I'm certainly not complaining about anyone spending money on this thing!

Wweyland

Wweyland

Quote from: Slutty Badger on Apr 30, 2024, 09:30:08 AM
Quote from: Wweyland on Apr 30, 2024, 08:54:11 AMIf the majority of the story takes place on the  Renaissance station, then it seems a bit "lavish" in terms of budget (and plot economics) to start on the "Jackson" colony, then transfer the characters to the ship, and finally arrive at the station.

I agree. Although Cameron is often considered to be a "plot economist", Aliens had the most locations of any Alien film.

I'm certainly not complaining about anyone spending money on this thing!

BigDaddyJohn

Probably a few minutes to introduce the characters and have a feel of their lifestyle, don't need that much time to do that.

SiL

SiL

They're shooting in Hungary, where set construction is cheaper. Possibly redress another set if they really didn't want to build something from scratch, the same way the Narcissus is a redressed bridge in ALIEN.

cucuchu

cucuchu

It's kind of hard to judge how this will factor into plot economics since we don't know the run-time of the movie but I'm all for it if adds to the world-building. It also really needs to sets the stage for what is at stake & incentivizing them to venture out to an abandoned research station in the first place which would add weight to the impact of the success or failure of the mission.

I appreciate that Fede really does not want to overexpose the film prior to release and feel that some viral marketing dealing with the JACKSON colony could of been a nice way to satiate our desire for information without showing any of the actual film. Something like an in-universe promotional video soliciting volunteers for the JACKSON colony. Maybe an interview with a colonist 20 years prior to Romulus, where there happens to be a very, very slight flicker in the sky in the corner, barely visible & no attention drawn to it, that may or may not be the Nostromo blowing up (assuming the colony has been there a while and I this takes place in the same star system as Alien). Just ideas of course, but these things cost money. But if sets are already built, why not?

Bonus Situation

Maybe the colony comes back into play at the end of the film?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed