What do you want to see in Romulus?

Started by littlesprout, Jan 07, 2023, 11:15:22 PM

Author
What do you want to see in Romulus? (Read 46,664 times)

SiL

SiL

There are definitely some bad movies in the series.

GrimmVision

GrimmVision

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Apr 20, 2024, 07:22:54 PMI really do not want everything to be made of the Pathogen, the Pathogen makes Aliens through Facehuggers and Alien like things without biomechanical aspects just by itself. That's more than enough, it's just getting ridiculous if the Engineers also use it to grow technology and augment themselves.

I have no issue with them doing that on principle, but just leave the Eitr, or Pathogen, or Accelerant out of it.

I agree to an extant. As die-hards for this franchise, we don't necessarily need to have these things explained to us verbatim. However, for those that aren't going to sit and watch hours of YouTube lore videos or go back and forth with one another on internet fan forums, I don't think it could hurt to have a little more clarity. I think a reason the general public has such an issue with Prometheus and Covenant is because the films already don't explain enough. A lot is implied through subtext and ancient myths that the GP just isn't privy to. So to do homework in addition to the movie can be alienating - no pun intended. Sometimes it's hard to understand motivations or decisions in the movies, but it's all there if you dig for it.

The Accelerant is the Engineers' equivalent of our fire. They stole it from their gods. It isn't their own technology as the ship at the beginning of Prometheus and the architecture of the city on Planet IV both prove that.

Just as we use our own stolen fire in the production of everything from weapons, city infrastructure, housing, to travel, and in the Alien Universe, the creation of androids - the Engineers use the Accelerant as an essential ingredient to further their own civilization(s). Chaotic just like fire, the Engineers don't dare bring its raw form anywhere near to the places in which their peoples live and prosper. It'd spell disaster. The LV-223 test site and dropping the payload on Planet IV are indicative of that.

I think the point is the Engineers do use the pathogen for many things including weaponry, interstellar travel, and genetic/bioengineering. If you think about it, fire is pretty magickal. The Accelerant? Even more so!

With all of that, there's no doubt in my mind that the added biomechoind influences are bound to be a major part of the third prequel, if we ever get it. David tested out his creation in Covenant's third act and it failed. He was visibly disappointed when it failed to kill Danny and T. It wasn't perfect as he claimed talking to Walter. Not yet.

I get what you mean by not wanting to see the Accelerant any further, but I just don't think we can logically get from Covenant to Alien without its continued implementation.

Quote from: Slutty Badger on Apr 20, 2024, 07:24:35 PM
Quote from: GrimmVision on Apr 20, 2024, 06:41:29 PMCovenant's Alien didn't have this ability

David's Praetomorph actually is capable of Ovomorphing its victims.

Where is this stated?

SiL

SiL

The movies don't prove the Engineers took the accelerant from elsewhere. The ship at the beginning of Prometheus belongs to the Engineers, not some other race.

BlueMarsalis79

Indeed, and it is only shown to be death in the narrative even stated as much in dialogue by Elizabeth Shaw, I just suggest, even insist, it stays that way.

BigDaddyJohn

f**king accelerant stuff  >:(

TheDerelict

Sometimes, I feel like the only person on the planet that has never lost any sleep over the accelerant/black goo.
The sense of calm I feel as I watch it do any and everything is intoxicating. Squid babies and zombies are cool.
In fact, I'm so unaffected by the pathogens inclusion in the franchise, that if Romulus makes zero mention of it, i will continue to sleep soundly.
My apathy is both a blessing and a curse.

GrimmVision

GrimmVision

Quote from: SiL on Apr 20, 2024, 11:36:29 PMThe movies don't prove the Engineers took the accelerant from elsewhere. The ship at the beginning of Prometheus belongs to the Engineers, not some other race.

Right, the films don't explicitly say where the Engineers got the Accelerant from. They just had it.

But what is the purpose of naming the movie 'PROMETHEUS' and having that myth be the central driving point if not to say that this is a repeating cycle of similar stories that sit atop one another where a forbidden technology is stolen by those who don't understand its power and things go awry because they can't control it. Janek echoes this same sentiment in the deleted scene with Vickers in her room after she kills Holloway.

It's to say "Hey, this has happened before with the Engineers stealing the Accelerent from their gods and it got out of control" without actually going there in the prequels. It's to say "Hey, humans stole fire from the gods and it got out of control." It's to say "Hey, David will continue this cycle in Covenant and he'll lose control." So on and so forth. And the cycle will continue to repeat just like the Eagle ripping out Prometheus' liver day after day, year after year, forever.

If the writers didn't want us to actually think about where the Engineers obtained the Accelerant, why bring up their gods at all? "And who made them?" That's not a throw away line, no way. That's why I brought up the ship in the beginning of Prometheus. That ship, the city's architecture on Planet IV, and the outpost on LV-223 are all seemingly Greco-Roman inspired with very clean shapes and lines, devoid of biomechanical design. Heck, even the Engineers themselves are Greek-statue inspired.

The Accelerant changed everything once the Engineers got their hands on it. This thing, this magickal fire that has a biomechanical predisposition.. They would end up using it for interstellar travel, for war, for bioweapons, and to genetically modify/enhance their very own physical bodies. They had murals of what the Accelerant could achieve. And the very out of place biomechanical scorpion tail docking station floating above the Engineer city... It all just screams that this wasn't their technology.

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Apr 21, 2024, 12:02:50 AMIndeed, and it is only shown to be death in the narrative even stated as much in dialogue by Elizabeth Shaw, I just suggest, even insist, it stays that way.

The Accelerant, in the form of the steatite ampules within a war ship is indeed "death", as Shaw puts it. It was fashioned to be such for that specific implementation. But implemented into other studies, tests, and experiments, it opens itself up to be so much more. Again, I don't actually think we need to see the "So much more" of it all on screen. We can come to the conclusions of what that means with what we've already been given.

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Apr 21, 2024, 02:06:37 AMf**king accelerant stuff  >:(

It's all in good fun :P

Quote from: TheDerelict on Apr 21, 2024, 04:58:42 AMSometimes, I feel like the only person on the planet that has never lost any sleep over the accelerant/black goo.
The sense of calm I feel as I watch it do any and everything is intoxicating. Squid babies and zombies are cool.
In fact, I'm so unaffected by the pathogens inclusion in the franchise, that if Romulus makes zero mention of it, i will continue to sleep soundly.

I just love the Accelerant so much. :laugh:

SiL

SiL

Quote from: GrimmVision on Apr 21, 2024, 05:17:48 AMBut what is the purpose of naming the movie 'PROMETHEUS' and having that myth be the central driving point if not to say that this is a repeating cycle of similar stories that sit atop one another where a forbidden technology is stolen by those who don't understand its power and things go awry because they can't control it.
It's not so subtle. The ship itself is called Prometheus. The Engineers are the gods. We're trying to steal their fire and getting punished for it. There's no need for it to be a cyclical process.

If only the film was so clever.

Slutty Badger

Quote from: GrimmVision on Apr 20, 2024, 11:05:03 PMWhere is this stated?

The RPG. The Praetomorph Stalker has the same attacks as the Xenomorph Drone, including "Capture for the Hive" and the Ovomorphing ability.

Quote from: SiL on Apr 20, 2024, 10:54:13 PMThere are definitely some bad movies in the series.

The AvP films don't count.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Slutty Badger on Apr 21, 2024, 08:44:30 AMThe AvP films don't count.
Alien 3 does though.

irn

irn

Quote from: TheDerelict on Apr 21, 2024, 04:58:42 AMSometimes, I feel like the only person on the planet that has never lost any sleep over the accelerant/black goo.

Damon Lindelof has been secretly posting here all this time!

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: SiL on Apr 21, 2024, 08:56:21 AM
Quote from: Slutty Badger on Apr 21, 2024, 08:44:30 AMThe AvP films don't count.
Alien 3 does though.

I have to confess - I don't hate Black Goo either. I kinda like how unpredictable it is (even tho I realise it might be just lazy writing) - that's what makes it ... alien for me

BigDaddyJohn

The goo can create something fun and cool etc, but it mostly makes zero sense.

TheDerelict

TheDerelict

I don't think it is unpredictable. I think it makes perfect sense. It's a violent alien pathogen designed to destroy.
My evidence is thus...

1. Little worm thing wiggles in black goo and turns into giant worm thing that breaks arms, bleeds acid and rams itself down some guys throat.
Seems legit.

2. Man is infected and starts having wiggly worm things come out of his eyes. Also got alien sperm now, makes sense, the goo is altering his DNA. He impregnates his girlfriend, she has alien squid thing, it's aggressive and turns into basically a giant face hugger and we all know what one of them is. When giant squid face hugger does its job description, it creates a more alien looking alien that we can all vaguely recognise. Both the deacon and neomorph are similar enough, so there is a continuity there.
So far so good.

3. Liquid pathogen can also turn into spore pathogen. Sure, why not, the franchise is called ALIEN after all.

4. Now here is where the road splits in two a little bit. Fifield Alien would have been better than fifield zombie in my humble opinion. It would have made a bit more sense in the continuity of things. However, Sean Harris is such a good actor in everything I've seen him in and I can see why they maybe went with his performance. And I too, also love rocks.
Therefore I give it a pass.

Pathogen, egg morphing (my personal favorite) or queen laying eggs. My inner peace knows no bounds.

Quote from: irn on Apr 21, 2024, 09:13:35 AM

Damon Lindelof has been secretly posting here all this time!

And here is the curse in the aforementioned apathy, vicious name calling.
Take it back damn you. 😄

Slutty Badger

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Apr 21, 2024, 10:24:10 AMThe goo can create something fun and cool etc, but it mostly makes zero sense.

It makes perfect sense to me. It's a radical AI operating on an algorithm derived from evolutionary computing, which means the results of exposure are highly unpredictable.

I like the summary given by the RPG - basically, anyone infected will either die horribly, give birth to monsters, or become a monster themselves

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed