Could Fox acquisition by Disney affect The Predator at any level ?

Started by BigDaddyJohn, Dec 14, 2017, 02:29:38 PM

Author
Could Fox acquisition by Disney affect The Predator at any level ? (Read 7,786 times)

Biomechanoid

Quote from: Deathbearer on Dec 16, 2017, 06:29:10 PM
Will we get a Predator Princess now?
Heh, come on. In case you haven't noticed, the low hanging fruit Disney reference jokes have been exhausted across the span of the internet by now.

Back on topic, too soon to tell. Will Disney sell off any franchises? Is Disney continuing any products now that are not marketable beyond its dedicated fan base? I don't know, I haven't really looked at everything they have under their umbrella.

They did sell off the Power Rangers franchise a few years back. After acquiring it from, I forget who, they branded it not a Disney product and started shopping around for a buyer.

Are the Predator and Alien franchises not marketable beyond their dedicated fan bases? No clear cut answer, but to remain positive, I would guess they still hold some degree of mass audience draw. It's a coin toss whether Disney will put one or both franchises on the auction block, or breath new life into these franchises, bringing in fresh talent.

However, if they take a risk on the alien franchise, I would bet the farm they bring back Sigourney Weaver in at least the first Disney Alien film. Possibly Arnold for the Predator franchise. They seem to have a pattern of bringing in a franchise's old stalwarts in a swan song role to launch a new direction.

Deathbearer

Quote from: Biomechanoid on Dec 16, 2017, 09:06:22 PM
Heh, come on. In case you haven't noticed, the low hanging fruit Disney reference jokes have been exhausted across the span of the internet by now.

And?

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Deathbearer on Dec 16, 2017, 11:52:02 PM

And?

And he just hopes, like all of us, that predator princess will have a cute mini shoulder cannon, lovely mandibles, and melodic clicking sounds while she hunts her prince charming that's all  :P

OpenMaw

If we get can Alien Princess they can have a bake off... how best to serve man.

Deathbearer

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Dec 17, 2017, 01:00:23 PM
Quote from: Deathbearer on Dec 16, 2017, 11:52:02 PM

And?

And he just hopes, like all of us, that predator princess will have a cute mini shoulder cannon, lovely mandibles, and melodic clicking sounds while she hunts her prince charming that's all  :P

I'd watch it

Biomechanoid

Heh, I suppose I can't say that will never happen, but the question is, would Disney brand that iniquitous creation you describe as not a Disney product and shop around it's film rights for a buyer...... ;)

KiramidHead

Give me an AVP ride at the Wild Kingdom and I might actually go back to Disney World. :laugh:

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Biomechanoid on Dec 18, 2017, 01:38:36 AM
Heh, I suppose I can't say that will never happen, but the question is, would Disney brand that iniquitous creation you describe as not a Disney product and shop around it's film rights for a buyer...... ;)

Haha maybe

Biomechanoid

All jokes aside, I would prefer to see Disney sell off the film rights to the Alien and Predator franchises. It seems evident that Disney is focused on having a large footprint in the arena of blockbusters and history has shown Disney has a pattern of branding a franchise either Disney or not Disney product (such as the Power Rangers example I mention above). Selling them off to a studio not so focused on the pressure of churning out blockbusters could be a good direction for our two franchises.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Biomechanoid on Dec 18, 2017, 02:07:58 AM
All jokes aside, I would prefer to see Disney sell off the film rights to the Alien and Predator franchises. It seems evident that Disney is focused on having a large footprint in the arena of blockbusters and history has shown Disney has a pattern of branding a franchise either Disney or not Disney product (such as the Power Rangers example I mention above). Selling them off to a studio not so focused on the pressure of churning out blockbusters could be a good direction for our two franchises.

Yes but the question is sell the rights to who ? Who would be the better fit for Alien and Predator ?

SM

Alien and Aliens were blockbusters.  I wouldn't argue with Disney giving the franchise a bit of that love.

Biomechanoid

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Dec 18, 2017, 03:15:10 AM
Yes but the question is sell the rights to who ? Who would be the better fit for Alien and Predator ?
Your guess as good as mine. Sure it would be great if the two franchises got a bit of Disney love, but Star Wars for example, they invested in a franchise that despite negative feedback from some critics and some fans on the prequel trilogy, they were nevertheless blockbusters combined with the reliable and infinite mass appeal of the original trilogy.

The same can't be said on the Alien franchise with the same gusto. Banking on a franchise that hasn't produced a blockbuster in over 30 years, is not the platform I see Disney relying on to target the new millennium audience. But who knows, maybe someone plopped in one of those Disney executive chairs decides to campaign fellow corporate suits it's worth the risk.

Deathbearer

All jokes aside, I would prefer to see Disney sell off the film rights to the Alien and Predator franchises.

And I'd prefer if Scott wasn't so determined to ruin the Alien franchise but nobody gets what they want. Besides, I doubt the Mouse bought Fox just to start selling it off in chunks.

Biomechanoid

Quote from: Deathbearer on Dec 18, 2017, 03:45:09 AM
And I'd prefer if Scott wasn't so determined to ruin the Alien franchise but nobody gets what they want.

True that, but looking back on my track record indicates I have come pretty close..... ;)

Quote from: Deathbearer on Dec 18, 2017, 03:45:09 AM
Besides, I doubt the Mouse bought Fox just to start selling it off in chunks.

If they did, it wouldn't be the first time Disney has sold off a chunk.

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Dec 18, 2017, 04:42:43 PM
Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Dec 18, 2017, 03:15:10 AM

No one would be a better fit than Disney. Any franchise would be lucky to be owned by Disney.

Money-wise yeah probably

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed