Can The Predator stand out from a sea of blockbusters in 2018?

Started by Kel G 426, Aug 05, 2016, 09:38:39 PM

Author
Can The Predator stand out from a sea of blockbusters in 2018? (Read 3,428 times)

Kaltes

Yeah, I agree Arnold making an appearance is probably very likely in this movie, cameo or otherwise.

Master

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Aug 08, 2016, 04:45:06 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 08, 2016, 09:38:23 AM
Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Aug 05, 2016, 09:45:06 PM
Yes. I am as confident as Shane Black is in the project. It'll do very well.

While I'm confident in Black too, I don't think that alone will equal any great standout. The Nice Guys was hardly a massive movie. Granted, Black is aiming to do that this time around and I'll be curious to see how great a job he does.

I do think we'll be seeing an A-list cast member to bring in some extra numbers, probably some nostalgia based stuff to remind everyone how awesome Predator was.

I do think it'll be an uphill climb but I'm curious to see the strategy they take with it.

Well, Predator is a known quantity. When you add that in along with the movie being an event, and being legitimately good, the sky is the limit.

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Aug 08, 2016, 04:39:27 PM
John Davis basically talks about getting Arnold back since Arnold left the office, and Shane and the studio both want Arnold, because he is still very popular overseas, they know that.

I would really be surprised if Arnold won't end up in it, because right now everything looks really good for an Arnold appearance. Arnold has time, Shane obviously wanted to meet him... now it's all about money.

I knew intuitively that Arnold wouldn't make those AvP and Predators cameos. But I really feel he'll make the appearance here. The right variables are all on the table. Arnold's always said he'd love to do another Predator, but the script had to be good.

Arnold was going to make a cameo in AvP. What stoped him was his won election for governor, nothing else.  ::)  He also wanted sequel in the jungle. That's why he didn't appear in sequel. That and filming of T2.

BishopShouldGo

He never said he wanted the sequel in the jungle, he just said the city was a bad idea, and that the script was awful, and the choice in director was awful.

Scorpio

Quote from: Master on Aug 08, 2016, 06:55:35 PM

Arnold was going to make a cameo in AvP. What stoped him was his won election for governor, nothing else.

Yep, and it would have just been a lame 5 second cameo probably.

I hope they give him a more substantial role.

blood.

He does look badass even to this day, but his charm is just not the same as it used to be... so he has to rely on his actual acting talent... lol.

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: blood. on Aug 10, 2016, 08:58:27 AM
He does look badass even to this day, but his charm is just not the same as it used to be... so he has to rely on his actual acting talent... lol.
For me it's still there, i enjoyed his recent movies very much so.

About his acting... you've seen Maggie? Yes, this man can act, altough i never watch an Arnold movie for acting and to be true, there are really good actors out there with zero charm, i rather watch someone who can carry a movie than a good actor who brings zero charisma to the screen. I agree that this movie shouldnt have arnold as the main lead, but i hope to god they don't just let him relax in a suit smoking a cigar telling old storys, give the man some action.

Fred Dekker talked about rewrites a few days ago, so who knows what they might add (or cancel).

Thomas H.

Really depends on wether or not they can sell this to the non-fans. Sure, it's a established franchise. But nowhere near as big as Marvel for example. So hardcore fans will watch this, but if they can't market it enough, it will underperform.

Corporal Hicks

That's the thing - Black wants this to be more than the fans. I think having someone like Arnie will serve them well in that regard. He's still a massive name. I think there's going to be a degree of star power behind this. Or that's where they'll aim.

whiterabbit

As far as the original question goes... of course it can standout from the pack since it is "the predator". However until we start seeing some details I doubt it'll be more than near average.

Kaltes

Quote from: Scorpio on Aug 08, 2016, 10:20:37 PM
Quote from: Master on Aug 08, 2016, 06:55:35 PM

Arnold was going to make a cameo in AvP. What stoped him was his won election for governor, nothing else.

Yep, and it would have just been a lame 5 second cameo probably.

I hope they give him a more substantial role.

They wanted him to cameo in Predators too.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 10, 2016, 10:19:07 AM
That's the thing - Black wants this to be more than the fans. I think having someone like Arnie will serve them well in that regard. He's still a massive name. I think there's going to be a degree of star power behind this. Or that's where they'll aim.

I agree that star power will definitely draw in more attention. The first two certainly had that (I'm not sure how big a name Danny Glover was by the time Predator 2 rolled around so forgive me if that's inaccurate).

Johnny Handsome

Danny Glover was a name at the time because of Lethal Weapon, so was Bill Paxton, Maria Conchita Alonzo (who also starred in The Running Man) and Ruben Blades, who was also a musician. They also cast Robert Davi, Gary Busey and Adam Baldwin.

The Predator movies always had strong, experienced cast members and people who were household names at the time and had a certain star power.

Casting-wise it all went downhill with the first AvP.

BishopShouldGo

Names yes, box office draws, not necessarily. Only Arnold, really. Commando two years prior solidified his status as a box office draw.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Aug 08, 2016, 12:31:16 PM
A couple of days ago in Vancouver, where Arnold is filming his latest movie:

This man still looks f**king badass, i so want to see Dutch return in The Predator, Shane, make it happen.

Damn, he's really gotten back into shape. He could easily pull-off a grizzled Colonel Quaritch type character as an older Dutch.

Is that Carrie Henn behind him?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed