Thoughts on a Predator film without the Yautja

Started by Rebel-Blood, Sep 02, 2019, 05:14:56 AM

What do you think of the concept of a Predator film without Yautja?

All for it
0 (0%)
No way, it's called Predator for a reason
13 (86.7%)
Meh
0 (0%)
Let's give it a shot
2 (13.3%)
Focus on something else
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: Sep 12, 2019, 05:14:56 AM

Author
Thoughts on a Predator film without the Yautja (Read 9,118 times)

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: PredBabe on Sep 04, 2019, 05:05:14 AM
We also have fans who hate when they deviate from the original Predator design too so I doubt this concept would be widely accepted... granted the quality of the designs were questionable in most cases.

Who are these fans you speak of?

Well, whatever the case, in a total unrelated note, remember to...

#SayNoToCrabators

and

;D

PredBabe

Quote from: Rebel-Blood on Sep 05, 2019, 12:46:30 PM
You also mentioned that you would be open to seeing the hunting another species but in my opinion it would be kind of odd, obviously we know they do this but translating that into film wont play very well.

When you say you are not for a group of people being hunted by different creatures, I think it's a little too late for that. There has been a crap ton of rip-offs over the years I think the one that comes to mind is Interceptor force.

Assuming this would take place on another (hunting) planet, why wouldn't seeing them hunt another alien species not translate well?

Also, I never said I was against the idea of seeing them interact ( i.e. not fight to the death) with another alien species. But I do think that that would be one of those concepts that risks not translating well for film.

In regards to there being a crap-ton of rip-offs, those don't matter to me because they don't have the Predator title. When you slap a Predator title on a movie and don't have a Predator/Yautja in it, imma have a problem.  :D

Quote from: Huggs on Sep 05, 2019, 04:31:52 AM
Ruby Rhod should interview a predator.

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Sep 05, 2019, 10:08:16 PM
We also have fans who hate when they deviate from the original Predator design too so I doubt this concept would be widely accepted... granted the quality of the designs were questionable in most cases.

#SayNoToCrabators

and

;D

:laugh:

I was thinking more about the super predators in Predators haha. But really that is just a prime example that most fans will always prefer that classic predator design over any other type of predator or random alien creature. It's iconic.

Rebel-Blood

Quote from: PredBabe on Sep 06, 2019, 03:41:40 AM
Quote from: Rebel-Blood on Sep 05, 2019, 12:46:30 PM
You also mentioned that you would be open to seeing the hunting another species but in my opinion it would be kind of odd, obviously we know they do this but translating that into film wont play very well.

When you say you are not for a group of people being hunted by different creatures, I think it's a little too late for that. There has been a crap ton of rip-offs over the years I think the one that comes to mind is Interceptor force.

Assuming this would take place on another (hunting) planet, why wouldn't seeing them hunt another alien species not translate well?

Also, I never said I was against the idea of seeing them interact ( i.e. not fight to the death) with another alien species. But I do think that that would be one of those concepts that risks not translating well for film.

In regards to there being a crap-ton of rip-offs, those don't matter to me because they don't have the Predator title. When you slap a Predator title on a movie and don't have a Predator/Yautja in it, imma have a problem.  :D

Quote from: Huggs on Sep 05, 2019, 04:31:52 AM
Ruby Rhod should interview a predator.

https://i.imgur.com/AynGQj2.gif

#SayNoToCrabators

and

;D

I was thinking more about the super predators in Predators haha. But really that is just a prime example that most fans will always prefer that classic predator design over any other type of predator or random alien creature. It's iconic.

I already explained this in a previous answer. If it is not tied to the premise of the film then it is not going go very well. In the film Predators, we saw the creature that people have named the River Ghost but we only see it briefly, it has barely any significance and  rightfully so because I feel that not only was it out of place, but it just wasn't a good design. In the film AVP at least it made sense, it was part of the premise of the film. If in the future let's say for argument's sake there is another Predator film, let's say that they end up fighting another species, it would seem very odd. We haven't seen anything that comes close to them, let alone that can hurt them. It would end making the Predator series look very weird, our favorite monster becomes fodder for a new badguy. If such a film is made, I hope they can get back on their feet and whoop their @ss which ironically would be like a rehash of the original Predator.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: PredBabe on Sep 06, 2019, 03:41:40 AM

#SayNoToCrabators

and

;D

100% Agree.

SM

I don't understand the question.

So is it 'A bunch of people get hunted by an alien sports hunter in each film - but a different sports hunter each time'?

What would be the point?

SuperiorIronman

We've seen plenty that can hurt a Predator, they die in literally every movie.

But more to the concept of them hunting something alien, well AVP had shown that a decade and some change ago. Just because it's a big name franchise doesn't cheapen the fact another XT was in it. We also have the trophy walls outright confirming they've killed other creatures. Even if you don't want to count AVP, we know they do it. Even not counting AVP we know they've killed at least one Xenomorph. The cat's out of the bag so to speak. So while we haven't really seen it outside of the Xenomorph, we know they do it and so it wouldn't be an issue to depict it on film.

It would be out of place on Earth but not on a Game Preserve.

Naginata

Quote from: SM on Sep 06, 2019, 10:23:00 PM

So is it 'A bunch of people get hunted by an alien sports hunter in each film - but a different sports hunter each time'?

What would be the point?

Reeaaaaaalllly have to second this; if we're talking purely in terms of ambiance (ie: no alien creature, no continuity, purely thematic ties), then that already exists, and it's called Dog Soldiers. The whole idea of warriors being hunted by something beyond mortal ken is hardly unique to Predator, anyway - it's one of the oldest recurring stories in human history. Beowolf and Most Dangerous Game are just two examples.

Predator didn't create this trend; it's an example of it. A very good example, but still - there's a reason the screenwriters jokingly called it "Rocky vs. Alien" in the early stages. There isn't a unique fictional universe implied by the first Predator movie the way there is with Alien... and that's OK. Not everything needs to be an intricate, expansive franchise.

Put another way, "inspired by Predator" would suggest similarities in broad concept or film-making choices, not outright spiritual sequel status.

Rebel-Blood

Quote from: Naginata on Sep 07, 2019, 03:00:49 PM

What would be the point?

Reeaaaaaalllly have to second this; if we're talking purely in terms of ambiance (ie: no alien creature, no continuity, purely thematic ties), then that already exists, and it's called Dog Soldiers. The whole idea of warriors being hunted by something beyond mortal ken is hardly unique to Predator, anyway - it's one of the oldest recurring stories in human history. Beowolf and Most Dangerous Game are just two examples.

Predator didn't create this trend; it's an example of it. A very good example, but still - there's a reason the screenwriters jokingly called it "Rocky vs. Alien" in the early stages. There isn't a unique fictional universe implied by the first Predator movie the way there is with Alien... and that's OK. Not everything needs to be an intricate, expansive franchise.

Put another way, "inspired by Predator" would suggest similarities in broad concept or film-making choices, not outright spiritual sequel status.

I agree that Predator is an example of previous trends such as the story The Most Dangerous Game but at the same time it is unique.In a way it is like a fusion of The Most Dangerous Game with a monster movie.

I disagree that Dog Soldiers is like a Predator film, in my opinion it is more like the film Aliens where a group of soldiers are being hunted and picked off one by one and they have to fight their way out. I don't see any elements of Predator in the film but I don't know what the film makers intended.

SuperiorIronman

Maybe it's because I just read JLA versus Predator but I'd be up for a short (not film, a short) based on that. In case anybody needs a recap, it's where a bunch of aliens clone a bunch of Predators and give them powers based off the Justice League. It still feels Predator but it's definitely more a JLA story.

It really wouldn't work for an in-universe variant unless it's toned down immensely, but for a short in keeping with Predator and doing something wacky with the brand, it could be done in good fun.

I wouldn't be as cool with it if it was mainline canon, but for a one-off or in that case it's own continuity it's fine. I also never knew how much I'd enjoy a Plastic-man version of the Predator but it would be a way to do what the OP is suggesting while not removing them entirely.

Rebel-Blood

Hey guys, it's been a while and wanted to update everyone. I don't know if this is allowed on here or not but I have made kind of a pseudo-contest where I will be taking submissions for stories based around the concept discussed here. I feel the concept has its merits and would like to see what paths it takes us.https://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=62784.0

I am very curious to see what kind of stories I will get. In certain situations competitiveness seems to bring out some interesting results. I don't know what the results will be maybe I wont hear from anyone but no matter, I will take the concept further.

The Old One

The Old One

I think this response, effectively let's you know how much people want a film set within the universe, without the titular character in this instance.

EJA

I did actually come up with an idea for a follow-up to THE PREDATOR, where Project Stargazer utilises the Predator-Killer tech, replicates it and bonds it to volunteers who hunt down visiting Yautja. But then the volunteers merge with the tech even more, eventually becoming kind of human Predators themselves, and start hunting other humans.

Rebel-Blood

Quote from: EJA on Nov 18, 2019, 08:01:24 PM
I did actually come up with an idea for a follow-up to THE PREDATOR, where Project Stargazer utilises the Predator-Killer tech, replicates it and bonds it to volunteers who hunt down visiting Yautja. But then the volunteers merge with the tech even more, eventually becoming kind of human Predators themselves, and start hunting other humans.

That sounds more like a sequel to The Predator. It was revealed that the suit is actually a type nanotech suit that can turn into armor and create whatever weapons that the user needs. I feel like this was a wasted opportunity, let's say that the film had shown a Predator with this suit instead of at the end. This could have taken things to a new level as we now see the Yautja with new tools at their disposal creating the same old mayhem. Instead we got a story of alien hybrids fighting against each other and looking for a box.

It was such a missed opportunity. There is one scene in the film that stuck out to me, the scene where the two Yautja confront each other outside the school. It really brought to mind the comic called Predator: Bad Blood and I feel they could have used this as inspiration for the film where the Yautja send hunters to take down the renegade almost like a AVP film but this time it is Predator vs Predator. In the end we got a film with cartoony effects, bad plot progression and an oddball story. I hope that this will not dissuade Fox from making a sequel, in fact I challenge them to take what they learned from the previous film and make a kick #ss sequel!

[cancerblack]

What would be the point?

Yeah this. I think the movie OP is looking for is called "Commando".

HuDaFuK

I've often thought there's some merit in the idea of a film in the Alien universe that doesn't feature the Alien.

But this? Lol no.

Alien is at least set in a rich future world with established sidelines in corporate machinations and interstellar warfare that could be built on in interesting ways. Predator without the Predator would just be... any other movie.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed