Author Steve Perry Talks Origin of Predator Language & How To Correctly Pronouce Yautja!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 20, 2024, 10:31:46 AM

Author
Author Steve Perry Talks Origin of Predator Language & How To Correctly Pronouce Yautja! (Read 1,576 times)

SiL

Quote from: Neila on Apr 25, 2024, 11:43:32 AMI understand, so he wasn't commissioned to write a novel. I don't know how it usually works. So whether a studio commissions someone to write a novel or whether the author asks for it.
If he is the inventor of the word Yautja, that was a very long time ago and was therefore generally recognized.
As a fan I have to accept it or ignore it.
He was commissioned to write a novel. He was not put in charge of Predators. He was not asked to come up with a name for them - just the opposite. He has no particular authority.

Neila

Neila

Quote from: SiL on Apr 25, 2024, 09:36:32 PM
Quote from: Neila on Apr 25, 2024, 11:43:32 AMI understand, so he wasn't commissioned to write a novel. I don't know how it usually works. So whether a studio commissions someone to write a novel or whether the author asks for it.
If he is the inventor of the word Yautja, that was a very long time ago and was therefore generally recognized.
As a fan I have to accept it or ignore it.
He was commissioned to write a novel. He was not put in charge of Predators. He was not asked to come up with a name for them - just the opposite. He has no particular authority.

Quote from: Wysps on Apr 25, 2024, 03:34:05 PMThe term exists, but I don't necessarily think that any Predator media is obliged to use it.  I think it could be easily replaced by another word, especially in the movies where no character has ever been impressed to actually name them (besides calling them predators, hunters, etc.)
I would actually be interested to see to what extent the studio addresses such situations.
As far as I know, Yautja don't appear in any films. (?)
If the Predator universe is expanded, it could be that they want to introduce the correct name at some point.
Will the studio then say, OK, we have the novels that already have that name in them, so let's just use it, or will something completely new come along and cancel the whole thing, so to speak.
something similar could happen in the Alien universe and that already happened with the prequels

Corporal Hicks

Yautja did nearly appear in a written form in The Predator. They were going to do a title scroll kind of thing.

Kailem

The Upgrade says it to Fugitive when they face off as well, it's just not translated in the subtitles. It's the first word he speaks before he says "tell me where it is."

Personally I've always pronounced it "yowt-juh" (which is how it sounds in that scene too). I know Steve Perry came up with the name, but this feels like a bit of a "gif is supposed to be pronounced jiff" situation. There's a bit too much emphasis on "OOOOOT!" there for me. :P

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Kailem on Apr 26, 2024, 12:34:13 PMThe Upgrade says it to Fugitive when they face off as well, it's just not translated in the subtitles. It's the first word he speaks before he says "tell me where it is."

Urgh. You're going to make me rewatch scenes from this movie... :'(

Kailem

No need to do that! :laugh: Just a couple of seconds. It's at around the 21 second mark here (though it looks like this version doesn't have the subtitles):

Corporal Hicks

Neila

Thanks for your information, guys.
It's hard to hear because the Pred has rough slang :)
but it could be the word.

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

I pronounce it as "Predator".  There is no "Yautja" within my dojo.

[cancerblack]

I read it as "yaat-cha" but I don't think I've ever verbalised it without my eyes nearly rolling out of my head and doing a silly voice.

Local Trouble

"Yautja" doesn't bother me nearly as much as "Xenomorph" does.

BigDaddyJohn

Xenomorph is at least used in a movie. Yautja I always thought was weird.

Local Trouble

It sounded dumb in the movie too.  A fitting word for Gorman to use when he was showing the audience what a pedantic dickhead he is, but that's all.

Immortan Jonesy

Samhain13

Xenomorphs was used in so many stuff like even avp2 that i got used to it, "aliens" can refer to more than the aliens we know.

Yautja or hish never sounded good to me and made me cringe, I suppose it make sense that the preds are not gonna call themselves predator or hunters like humans refer to them in many media but idk some stuff is better to not know.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed