A Series Set In The ‘Alien’ Universe Being Considered?

Started by Wobblyboddle77, Jul 03, 2018, 11:31:07 PM

Author
A Series Set In The ‘Alien’ Universe Being Considered? (Read 52,738 times)

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: The Old One on Oct 25, 2018, 04:02:02 AM
Indeed. Alien is "hard" science fiction, no space opera or soap opera.

In truth it's neither.  It's about humanity rising above the stark coldness of the universe.  That was the essence of Aliens.

I think you're confusing hard science fiction with mean-spirited sci-fi, where everything has to be destroyed in the face of the unrelenting malice of the Aliens.  You're ignoring the "Disney-like" magic of a little girl surviving for weeks without any weapons or training.

SiL

It's already turned incestuous. The Jockey and its cargo aren't some mysterious, distant alien beings; it's our uncle's crashed van carrying a load of a science experiment our robot butler made last week. Why the f**k not make it the Swiss Family Ripley show.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Oct 25, 2018, 02:10:21 AMI think an even better idea than Blomkamp's film (unless his story is better which I don't really know), would be adapt the best parts of Mark Verheiden's original Aliens comics in an epic film, featuring Ripley, Hicks and Newt, leading up to an all out Alien infestation on earth, and subsequent nuclear holocaust.

The whole "Aliens completely take over Earth!" plot line always struck me as rather silly.

Aside from just generally being completely over-the-top, there's really no reason you couldn't contain them with modern technology.

SiL

The idea would be much the same with zombies -- by the time people realise there's a problem, it's too late. That's how it was presented in the original comic.

HuDaFuK

Zombies tend to work when it's "everyone's already infected you just need to die" à la the Romero films (or The Walking Dead), but when it's only passed on by physical contact I have to question if it would be able to spread across the entire planet (depending on the incubation time, I suppose).

Aliens need to physically get to you to kill you or expand their numbers. Seems like it would be relatively easy to contain once you knew where you stood, especially with the kind of futuristic weapons systems they are implied to have by the 22nd century.

SM

SM

The problem is by the time you know where you stand - they've taken over a city or two.

SiL

All it would take is one Queen holed up somewhere cozy not getting spotted for long.

Look at what happened to Hadley's in a month or two.

Corporal Hicks

And how long is it before missing persons are actively investigated? 24 hours/48 hours? That's enough time for the spread before stuff is being looked into.

Perfect-Organism

That's what makes it practicable as a series.  The challenge can be surmounted eventually, but an infestation could unfold quite nicely, world wide very quickly.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Oct 25, 2018, 05:37:35 AM
Quote from: The Old One on Oct 25, 2018, 04:02:02 AM
Indeed. Alien is "hard" science fiction, no space opera or soap opera.

In truth it's neither.  It's about humanity rising above the stark coldness of the universe.  That was the essence of Aliens.

I think you're confusing hard science fiction with mean-spirited sci-fi, where everything has to be destroyed in the face of the unrelenting malice of the Aliens.  You're ignoring the "Disney-like" magic of a little girl surviving for weeks without any weapons or training.

Horseshit. Aliens 1986's = underestimation.
The Alien Or "The stark coldness of the Universe."

Realistic, m̶e̶a̶n̶ ̶s̶p̶i̶r̶i̶t̶e̶d̶ regardless.
The universe's apathetic,  a black hole and the Alien (Franchise/Universe) is.
The Alien, AI, Capitalism, W-Y - Apathetic.

Local Trouble

The Old One

The Old One

Alien Theory! A future narrator.  ;D

Local Trouble

Did he totally change your mind?

Voodoo Magic

I say we take off and nuke Earth from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Huggs

Quote from: SM on Oct 25, 2018, 09:06:29 AM
The problem is by the time you know where you stand - they've taken over a city or two.

The big problem is that you'd have people getting infected, waking up, and running off during the initial stages of the outbreak, before the government and military could lock things down. If one person gets impregnated, then wakes up, thinks they've survived somehow, jumps in the car and drives 200 miles before bursting, then we're all screwed. And that's ignoring things like personal aircraft. We'd be surrounded in no time.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed