Has Alien vs. Predator (2004) aged all that well?

Started by LastSurvivor92, Mar 21, 2019, 12:49:19 AM

Author
Has Alien vs. Predator (2004) aged all that well? (Read 49,980 times)

Acid_Reign161

Quote from: Stitch on Nov 07, 2023, 12:45:34 PM
Quote from: [cancerblack] on Nov 07, 2023, 11:34:06 AMAlways does my f**king head in when I'm reminded that I'm older than SiL
Which means both of you might be younger than me. That feels a little weird.

Well I just feel like the Space Jockey now 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

SM

Thirty nine?

Ah, I remember being thirty nine.

Wait no I don't.

Local Trouble

I sometimes can't remember how old I am now.

Stitch

Quote from: SM on Nov 09, 2023, 12:09:38 AMThirty nine?

Ah, I remember being thirty nine.

Wait no I don't.
Too far past or not yet reached?

SM

The first one.

The Cruentus

The prequels have probably helped the first AVP seem better too since a lot of lore was changed and broken far worse than what AVP did. Hell, Covenant even beat AVP on fastest life-cycle  :laugh:

Cosmic Incubation

I've always been a little biased towards the first AVP film cause I'll always remember it coming out when I was around 9 years old and it was, and still is, the most excited I've ever been for a film's release. Just seeing my two favorite film creatures on the same screen together was the most amazing thing in the world to me. I have a lot of childhood nostalgia for it.

It's not the best possible movie we could have gotten by any means, but I've always thought it was pretty cool and fun for what it is. Has some great moments and ideas. Especially compared to some of the abysmal other films that came after (cough cough AVPR cough cough The Predator).

The only thing I think hasn't really aged well would be some of the CG, and definitely all the terrible digital blood added in post for the "unrated" edition.

The Cruentus

Quote from: Cosmic Incubation on Dec 20, 2023, 04:57:18 PMI've always been a little biased towards the first AVP film cause I'll always remember it coming out when I was around 9 years old and it was, and still is, the most excited I've ever been for a film's release. Just seeing my two favorite film creatures on the same screen together was the most amazing thing in the world to me. I have a lot of childhood nostalgia for it.

It's not the best possible movie we could have gotten by any means, but I've always thought it was pretty cool and fun for what it is. Has some great moments and ideas. Especially compared to some of the abysmal other films that came after (cough cough AVPR cough cough The Predator).

The only thing I think hasn't really aged well would be some of the CG, and definitely all the terrible digital blood added in post for the "unrated" edition.

True enough, sometimes the first film in a franchise you see tends have a special spot. AVP wasn't too bad, it had a good concept and ideas, it just didn't execute them well. Setting it on earth did not help either.

Cosmic Incubation

It wasn't my first, but it was the first that I got to experience in the theater which was something special for sure.

I'll definitely agree, especially now in retrospect, that a lot could have definitely been executed better. But as a kid I thought it was just the most amazing thing I'd ever seen lmao.

The earth and modern day setting is definitely a detriment. Which sucks cause it could have easily been remedied by having it still be in the future and just on another planet.

The Cruentus

I think I have heard some say it was budget issues why it could not be set off world, atleast that was the excuse with the second movie. "space was too expensive" apparently.

It wouldn't take much to make outdoor and indoor environments look like its another planet. Power of filmmaking, simple smoke and mirrors to make illusions. Its already been done plenty in the alien franchise. The cryotubes in Aliens was done by using a mirror to make it look like there was more tubes.

SiL

Davis the producer wanted it set on Earth.

Watched it last week for the first time in a while and the thing that really stood out to me was how bad the sound design was. Just cheap, cartoonish sounds constantly repeating.

The Cruentus

Ah ok.

Yeah and they had to use ADR, that is why the characters speech can seem oddly loud or not quite fitting.

SM

Stacks of movies use ADR and it's not oddly loud or not quite fitting.

SiL

AvP's poor ADR is just part of the bad sound work.

It's a pity because the action scenes kind of rock along in their comic book way, but the cartoonish squelchy crunches and inexplicable knife sharpening Alien tongues just aggressively prevent me from being able to really get into it.

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

This film still remains my personal biggest cinematic disappointment of all time. I was so let down by it at the time and my opinion hasn't changed.

I think enough has been said about the Predators in this film over the years  but needless to say they are very very poor.

I also feel Anderson should shoulder a lot of blame for the Alien's behaviour evolving from the stealth and cunning of the earlier films to the 'screeching cat that has had a bucket of cold water thrown over it' depictions of the later ones.

Agreed with the sound design too. Never understood the knife-clinking when the xeno jaw shoots out in this film. Bizarre.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed