Script in the works for PROM Seq

Started by draken161, Feb 27, 2013, 06:59:15 AM

Author
Script in the works for PROM Seq (Read 66,530 times)

Elicas

Elicas

Spreadeaglebeagle put everything into better words than I could about how I feel about Prometheus 2.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Feb 27, 2013, 09:51:02 PM
I can honestly say that I'm not excited at all. Feeling pretty indifferent.

As a matter of fact I'm not excited about anything concerning these franchises anymore. And the scary thing is that I don't really care what happens next. It's a lost cause. Watered down and milked dry.

The good thing though is that I still have my Alien and Alien 3, and Aliens as well, and that's more than enough. Whatever happens next I don't give a flying f**k about.

So yeah, go for it Shaw and David! Explore baby Jesus on planet X and make sure to take lots of pictures while you're at it!
I feel pretty much the same. Bleh.

ChrisPachi

Bleh +1.

That said though, I am looking forward to being on here prying it apart with y'all, so let's hope they do make it.

Gash

Gash

Not really Bleh at all. Just gonna try my hardest to avoid the trailers this time.

Narusz

Narusz

In my opinion the problem with Prometheus (and its sequel) is that it's Ridley Scott's movie. Alien wasn't his. It was Hill's, Carroll's and Giler's movie - not even O'Bannon's. Those three took his script (which really wasn't very good) and polished it, gave it the character. That's basically what they say in bonus features, but I agree - I've read O'Bannon's version and final version and they're miles apart. Hill, Carroll and Giler might be soulless, cynical, money-grabbing Hollywood leeches, but they sure knew how to write a good story.

And so, Scott didn't intervene with the script while making Alien. He took what he was given, no questions asked, and just visualized it. He's a great visual artist, but when he wants to tell his own story, we get Prometheus. Scott needs a good producer to tell him what works in terms of story and what doesn't.

ChrisPachi

One way or another, let's just hope that we don't get another self-proclaimed OMFGIAMWRITINGANALIENPREQUELSOf**kYOU 'fan' writing it.

Darth Vile

I'm not sure it's possible that they can make a sequel we'll all embrace. I would imagine that Prometheus 2 will move further away from Alien than Prometheus did. I do like the fan polarising nature of Prometheus - Scott wouldn't be doing his job if he turned out a movie that was universally acclaimed to be just "ok". Polarisation at least means he's stirring the genre up. I'd rather it be loved and loathed than just unequivocally mundane.

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Darth Vile on Feb 28, 2013, 07:38:59 AMI'm not sure it's possible that they can make a sequel we'll all embrace. I would imagine that Prometheus 2 will move further away from Alien than Prometheus did.

Moving the story further away from Alien and making a good Alien movie are not mutually exclusive ideas. By no means should they pander to the fans - and taking this new branch further away from Alien is a good thing - but for crying out loud just respect the god-damned source material.

I strongly believe that a decent new story could correct all of the faffery that was Prometheus and actually resolve most if not all of the fans questions in a clever and exciting way; no xenos required.

Darth Vile

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Feb 28, 2013, 09:42:53 AM
Quote from: Darth Vile on Feb 28, 2013, 07:38:59 AMI'm not sure it's possible that they can make a sequel we'll all embrace. I would imagine that Prometheus 2 will move further away from Alien than Prometheus did.

Moving the story further away from Alien and making a good Alien movie are not mutually exclusive ideas. By no means should they pander to the fans - and taking this new branch further away from Alien is a good thing - but for crying out loud just respect the god-damned source material.

I strongly believe that a decent new story could correct all of the faffery that was Prometheus and actually resolve most if not all of the fans questions in a clever and exciting way; no xenos required.
Of course they are not mutually exclusive... but if I had to sum up Alien in a few words I'd describe it as a scary film with exceptional design and cinematography. Prometheus, although highly competent in its design and cinematography, was not a scary movie at all ( IMHO) - and I say that as someone who liked it. I think if it had been truly scary/shocking, then many of the criticisms on these boards would have not arisen or would have soon dissipated.  First and foremost I'm looking for an Alien movie to scare me. I don't think any sequel will be playing it for scares... well not in the sense Alien did.

DontRelaxJustYetMarines

If it had been truly scary/shocking, that means less butts on seats, which won't make back the 100 mil budget.  So they make it lukewarm, so nobody has to get out of their comfort zone.

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Darth Vile on Feb 28, 2013, 10:25:00 AMI think if it had been truly scary/shocking, then many of the criticisms on these boards would have not arisen or would have soon dissipated.

Possibly, but scary or not, if Prometheus had been less dismissive of the original film (and its sequels) it would of been far less contentious among the fans and IMO a far better movie for it. A lot (if not all) of the fan anger derives from Scott and his prequels conviction that what was established in Alien (and its sequels) is moot, or somehow less interesting or entertaining than what Prometheus offers.

I think he is dead wrong on that.

Darth Vile

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Feb 28, 2013, 12:00:50 PM
Quote from: Darth Vile on Feb 28, 2013, 10:25:00 AMI think if it had been truly scary/shocking, then many of the criticisms on these boards would have not arisen or would have soon dissipated.

Possibly, but scary or not, if Prometheus had been less dismissive of the original film (and its sequels) it would of been far less contentious among the fans and IMO a far better movie for it. A lot (if not all) of the fan anger derives from Scott and his prequels conviction that what was established in Alien (and its sequels) is moot, or somehow less interesting or entertaining than what Prometheus offers.

I think he is dead wrong on that.
"Dismissive" in that he didn't really want to do another movie with xeno's and eggs etc. you mean?

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Darth Vile on Feb 28, 2013, 12:12:49 PM"Dismissive" in that he didn't really want to do another movie with xeno's and eggs etc. you mean?

Not at all. He did make a movie with 'xenos' and 'eggs', they were just unintelligible versions of what was already an iconic idea, an idea he thought was overdone.

EDIT: Untalics.

Alien³

Alien³

Prometheus certainly felt like an Alien movie. Haven't felt that since Alien 3.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

That's something I can agree with for sure. Prometheus had the right atmosphere. Nice atmosphere, and nice visuals. Ridley Scott  never fails those two aspects in his movies.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed