The most "Horror" comic series

Started by StrangeShape, Jun 25, 2020, 12:25:29 AM

Author
The most "Horror" comic series (Read 1,664 times)

StrangeShape

Cant wait to read those and judge by myself, maybe even review them in the same way I did Terminator comics (*cough cough plug https://terminator2jd.blogspot.com/2020/04/terminator-comic-books-part-i-1980s.html?m=1), I dont know.

Apocalypse Ive read around the same time I got back into Alien in 2000 or 2001, and loved it. Havent really read it since so Im looking forward to it as well. I remember disliking the Resurection designs of the aliens but thinking it connects well to the first film

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

Quote from: StrangeShape on Jun 26, 2020, 03:41:44 AM
Cant wait to read those and judge by myself, maybe even review them in the same way I did Terminator comics (*cough cough plug https://terminator2jd.blogspot.com/2020/04/terminator-comic-books-part-i-1980s.html?m=1), I dont know.

Apocalypse Ive read around the same time I got back into Alien in 2000 or 2001, and loved it. Havent really read it since so Im looking forward to it as well. I remember disliking the Resurection designs of the aliens but thinking it connects well to the first film

Yeah, the resurrection design is kinda cringeworthy and problematic for a few reasons, but the art in general is just beautiful, and clearly I love the secretive organization angle too.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: SM on Jun 25, 2020, 11:25:12 PM
If you are a parent plagued with feelings of inadequacy - Survival is definitely pretty horrific.

I'm not the first but I agree with the second

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

Quote from: Kradan on Jun 26, 2020, 05:33:18 AM
Quote from: SM on Jun 25, 2020, 11:25:12 PM
If you are a parent plagued with feelings of inadequacy - Survival is definitely pretty horrific.

I'm not the first but I agree with the second

I don't object to the quality of Survival, only the inscrutability of it. The Unreliable Narrator trope gone amok.

It's a fine technique to make a reader/watcher feel unsettled, and they've been doing it in this franchise since Ripley first woke up in Gateway. But when there's no clear breakthrough into reality, it makes reliable placement on a timeline or a map nigh impossible (this is admittedly a personal problem). When the trope is employed well, you get masterpieces like Jacob's Ladder, or Fallen, or the Usual Suspects (just to take 3 examples from 90's cinema, apparently. Also, sorry, spoilers). But when a narrative is completely untethered from any frame of reference, like the most recent TZ's "Nightmare at 30,000 Feet" with Adam Scott, then everything's just an aimless dream floating in the stygian abyss, and thus completely interpretive and inconsequential. Arguably, the jar scene could be viewed as the foundational reality, but it's still hazier and more ambiguous than the final bit from Brazil. (<which I love still, no hate implied)

Ranty personal annoyance aside, Survival is pretty interesting for a number of reasons and, despite my personal problem of not having a clue what's truly happening, I can only imagine what a deeply personal kick in the feels it might be for a parent. (The 15 years of parenthood for my furchild cat doesn't precisely translate, but it might be just enough to let me peek through the door.) Regardless, I'll have to give it another go sometime.

All that aside, on the actual personal front... genuinely poor parents are rarely concerned that they might be bad parents, I humbly submit that you are likely a much better and loving parent than you give yourself credit for, and I take fact that you care enough to be this anxious and/or self-critical of your performance as pretty solid evidence in support of that.

SM

SM

Survival isn't that difficult to suss out - takes a couple of reads though.

StrangeShape

Now Im even more curious about Survival than Dead Orbit but I promised myself Ill be getting and reading them chronologically

426Buddy

426Buddy

Survival came out in the late 90s and dead orbit is really recent.

If you mean chrologically in universe then that would be cool but difficult.

StrangeShape

Just in publishing order

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

Quote from: SM on Jun 27, 2020, 10:23:02 AM
Survival isn't that difficult to suss out - takes a couple of reads though.

I definitely have to give it another shot, the benefit of some time, distance, and patience will no doubt help me out immensely. It took me forever to suss out Horror Show.

SM

SM

Yeah that one's a bugger.

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

Kase's Alien/s horror comic reading order Jamboree!

Okay, so just because it was a stressful weekend and I need to expend an overabundance of clock cycles. Here is my breakdown of the (mostly) Dark Horse Comics Aliens comics which best bring the Horror, for whatever that may represent to you. I threw a few more in that others may or may not agree with, but I think are worthy of a checkout...

First up, Publishing order!
1979.06 - Alien - The Illustrated Story (Heavy Metal Mag, Not Dark Horse)
1992.04 - Aliens - Tribes (hybridized story format between a novella & a graphic novel)
1992.10 -DHC #3-5- ''Horror Show''
1993.03 -Aliens Magazine (uk) v2 #9-12- ''Sacrifice''
1993.07 -Aliens Magazine (uk) v2 #13-20- ''Crusade''
1993.08 - Aliens - Labyrinth
1993.11 - Aliens - Salvation
1994.01 - Aliens - Music of the Spears
1997.06 -Aliens Special- ''Elder Gods''
1998.02 - Aliens - Survival
1998.06 - Aliens - Glass Corridor
1998.06 - Aliens Vs Predator - Eternal
1999.01 - Aliens - Apocalypse The Destroying Angels
1999.09 - DHPv1 #146-147 ''The Web''
2009.05 - Aliens - More than Human
2011.11 - Aliens - Fast Track to Heaven
2012.05 -DHPv2 #12-17- ''Inhuman Condition''
2016.03 - Life and Death (event)
2017.04 - Aliens - Dead Orbit
2018.04 - Aliens - Dust to Dust

-------

Then, just for fun Chronologically!  The Date format is yyyy.mmdd
Many of these figures disagree with SM's, but I assure you, each deviation has very precise and specific reasoning behind it that I will gladly go into if anyone is curious enough. But seeing as how they're all Comic specific in-universe, they've all been Banned by Corporate Governor's decree, anyway.

2024              AvP - Eternal                                 reasoned deduction
2099              Aliens - Elder Gods (Special - b)   explicitly stated
2137.1117     Aliens - Defiance                            explicitly stated
2141             Aliens - Fast Track to Heaven        reasoned deduction
2142             Aliens - Apocalypse                        reasoned deduction
2160             Aliens - Inhuman Condition            refine this
2181             Aliens - Survival                             refine this
2193.0603    Aliens - Countdown                        reasoned deduction
2193.1031    Aliens - Crusade                             reasoned deduction
2195             Aliens - Tribes                                 reasoned deduction
2202.0315    Aliens - More Than Human             reasoned deduction
2203.1205    Aliens - Music of the Spears           reasoned deduction
2211             Aliens - Sacrifice                             refine this
2211             Aliens - Dust to Dust                       educated guesswork
2212.10        Aliens - Horror Show                      reasoned deduction
2213.11        Aliens - Salvation                            refine this
2217.0610    Aliens - 45 Seconds (Special - a)   educated guesswork
2220.0420    Life and Death - (event)                  reasoned deduction
2223             Aliens - Labyrinth                            refine this
2225             Aliens - Glass Corridor                   reasoned deduction
2271             AvP - The Web                               reasoned deduction
2295             Aliens - Dead Orbit                         explicitly stated

Enjoy your horrific journey, my friend!

StrangeShape

Thanks!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed