Started by xenomorph36, Dec 26, 2007, 04:38:16 PM

Which AvP movie do you like better?

AvP
AvPR
Author
Poll: AvP vs AvPR (Read 685,671 times)

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

QuoteI won't deny the Brothers are admitted Predator fans, but I will defend what they wanted to do with their film. I also blame the Pred-heavy focus on Davis rather than them because he's an even bigger Predator fan (hell, the man is practically a worshiper). Don't believe me? Listen to the commentary in the sewer fight scene.

Care to summarise it? I don't have a commentary-enabled DVD.

QuoteAnderson himself is an-admitted Alien fan. I blame, what I perceive to be some slight Alien favouritism in AvP on him. I don't agree with the way the fight in AvP ended because it doesn't make sense to me, how Celtic couldn't realize his net wasn't going to hold the Alien forever since (I'm assuming anyway) he knows how the damn works in the first place, and that the Alien's blood is going to eventually break it.

That might be an instant of Alien favouritism, but there's a lot of service towards the Predators as well. Scar killing half a dozen with the plasma caster in less than a minute, for instance. Or the three Predator holding their own (for a while) against thousands upon thousands of Aliens. Scar not getting covered in acid after slicing an Alien's face off. The very fact that the plot assumes that Predators can effectively contain Aliens for hundreds, if not thousands of years.

QuoteAvP:R's fights were predictable, yes, but at least they were entertaining because there was more of them as opposed to AvP's one true fight, and one race at the end, with one or two minor squabbles in between them.

Having more of nothing just means you have more nothing. I can see how, even if the fight scenes were bad, a constant supply of them could string along a movie. But AvPR's fights were so astronomically free of actual content that they're even more boring than the boring human interaction.

QuoteDon't even get me started on this hero bullshit. You want to talk about the Brothers making Wolf a hero? Anderson actually did make that mistake in his movie, and he did it to a much greater degree. Not only did he actually label Scar as a "handsome leading man" (WTF), he even went so far as to change the look of the creature by giving it puppy dog eyes and floppy mandibles to make it seem more lovable. He wanted to turn the Predator into a of heroic, chivalrous saviour which saves the damsel in distress. Which is pretty ironic, considering considering it's Lex who ends up saving Scar's ass on multiple occasions.

The visual issues weren't fixed by Wolf, though. And Pussyface already had silly eyes.

Scar was actually threatening for a long time, though. He was not on the human side. He even killed Weyland, who was the one interesting character. If he killed an old, partially-crippled businessman, what's to stop him from killing a young, able woman who's stolen his most powerful weapon? Absolutely nothing. At all. And that's why we're sorta wondering, when Scar tracks down Lex, what's going to happen. And she's on the verge of tears, pleading for life, trying to give him back his plasma caster.

And he's just staring her the f**k down. Like a badass.

A lot of the team-up stuff that happened soon afterwards was dumb, sure. An Alien dying of localised impalement? Dumb, and another thing to chalk up in favour of the Predators, in fact. Running like motherf**king Baywatch? Puh-lease. Staring into one-another's eyes romantically after a narrow escape? Cringe-worthy.

But all the same, Scar had established himself at this point. He didn't just shoot down Aliens; he beat them at their own game. He killed a character that was genuinely cool. He antagonised the other characters. He was like Riddick in Pitch Black -- the vastly more combat-effective superwarrior who could end their alliance with you at any second and wouldn't think twice about it.

Wolf never had a reason to kill humans and when he did, it was entirely arbitrary. Not to mention that the context of the film sets him up as the Arnator (Predanegger?).

Puks

Puks

Enough is enough! I've had it with these motherf**kin' walls-o-text on this motherf**kin' forum!

(Yeah, I know the movie sucks.. what was L. Jackson thinking?)

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

Probably something along the lines of:

"This is so much f**king fun".

I haven't seen the film, but a movie with a title like that has to be made for the hell of it.

Drago-Morph

Drago-Morph

Go get 'em, Alex! I love you! I'm your biggest fan! You're my hero! Woo!

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Puks on May 12, 2010, 04:53:12 PM
Enough is enough! I've had it with these motherf**kin' walls-o-text on this motherf**kin' forum!

(Yeah, I know the movie sucks.. what was L. Jackson thinking?)
Snakes on a Plane is epic cheesy fun. :D

Anto of the Sand

Anto of the Sand

Alex is probably the best poster here, and I love him but, he, like SiL and the others, need to ease of the Xeno fanboy side of things. Maybe you all dont realise youre doin it, but its constant, "Xenos are the greatest killers in the universe", "One Predator could never match a Xeno", "No, no, you cant use weapons".
You cant make a logical sounding arguement, then refuse to listen to the posibility of Xenos being second best fighters to a race with invisibility, plasma cannons, giant spaceships and wristbracers that can destroy city blocks.

huntin8-t0n

huntin8-t0n

As I saw all arguments about Xeno and pred fights are mostly a one on one battle, not as a race. I doubt a pred would go against a xeno with a battle ship...
And preds weapons can be thrown out the window, when they don't have the possibility to use it. I like to see those two creatures mostly equal, and aliens have their advantages as well.
Why I like Alex's arguments, because meanwhile they are wrapped in almost a cultic awe for the creature, it still stands on the ground, fair and logical. One can disagree, but still the logic is there. As I see. He never said aliens stand a chance against a pred ship, at least I didn't hear it.

It doesn't mean that he's right though :P Hehehe

To be precise: MWHAHAHAHAHA

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: MadassAlex on May 12, 2010, 04:50:36 PMCare to summarise it? I don't have a commentary-enabled DVD.

Davis argues the Predalien is 2/3 Predator, 1/3 Alien and the Brothers argue it's the other way around, then they drop the subject immediately following it. That should tell you something.

Quote from: MadassAlex on May 12, 2010, 04:50:36 PMThat might be an instant of Alien favouritism, but there's a lot of service towards the Predators as well. Scar killing half a dozen with the plasma caster in less than a minute, for instance. Or the three Predator holding their own (for a while) against thousands upon thousands of Aliens. Scar not getting covered in acid after slicing an Alien's face off. The very fact that the plot assumes that Predators can effectively contain Aliens for hundreds, if not thousands of years.

Ya, so much service that he teams a Predator up with a human. Whatever credit he may given them earlier was quashed with that retarded move.

Quote from: MadassAlex on May 12, 2010, 04:50:36 PM
The visual issues weren't fixed by Wolf, though. And Pussyface already had silly eyes.

Scar was actually threatening for a long time, though. He was not on the human side. He even killed Weyland, who was the one interesting character. If he killed an old, partially-crippled businessman, what's to stop him from killing a young, able woman who's stolen his most powerful weapon? Absolutely nothing. At all. And that's why we're sorta wondering, when Scar tracks down Lex, what's going to happen. And she's on the verge of tears, pleading for life, trying to give him back his plasma caster.

Wondering? What was there to wonder? He had his spear drawn, extended, and pointed at her. It was pretty clear he was going to kill her and the only reason he didn't was because she gave his caster. Once he had it, he had no problem with her and went on his way until she ran after him.

Quote from: MadassAlex on May 12, 2010, 04:50:36 PMBut all the same, Scar had established himself at this point. He didn't just shoot down Aliens; he beat them at their own game. He killed a character that was genuinely cool. He antagonised the other characters. He was like Riddick in Pitch Black -- the vastly more combat-effective superwarrior who could end their alliance with you at any second and wouldn't think twice about it.

Riddick was already planning on abandoning his crew at the end, which he did. The only reason he didn't was because he decided that Fry had a fighting spirit inside of her and that didn't come into realization until she jumped him. He even says "I will leave you here". He didn't have to think about it. Scar on the other hand, almost needed Lex. Had it not been for her, the Queen would have killed him and he never would've made it out of the pyramid.

Quote from: MadassAlex on May 12, 2010, 04:50:36 PMWolf never had a reason to kill humans and when he did, it was entirely arbitrary. Not to mention that the context of the film sets him up as the Arnator (Predanegger?).

Never had a reason? Really? You think killing the cop was just for the sake of it? He didn't need the cop telling everyone what he saw in the forest that night.

First Blood

First Blood

Quote from: DoomRulz on May 12, 2010, 06:50:28 PM
Quote from: MadassAlex on May 12, 2010, 04:50:36 PMCare to summarise it? I don't have a commentary-enabled DVD.

Davis argues the Predalien is 2/3 Predator, 1/3 Alien and the Brothers argue it's the other way around, then they drop the subject immediately following it. That should tell you something.

That can't even agree on their own creation?

Drago-Morph

Drago-Morph

Quote from: Anto of the Sand on May 12, 2010, 06:22:59 PM
Alex is probably the best poster here, and I love him but, he, like SiL and the others, need to ease of the Xeno fanboy side of things. Maybe you all dont realise youre doin it, but its constant, "Xenos are the greatest killers in the universe", "One Predator could never match a Xeno", "No, no, you cant use weapons".
You cant make a logical sounding arguement, then refuse to listen to the posibility of Xenos being second best fighters to a race with invisibility, plasma cannons, giant spaceships and wristbracers that can destroy city blocks.

I've never heard anyone say what you're supposedly quoting. Ever. The Alien fans argue that Aliens are equal to the Predators, mainly because of people like you who say, and this is a quote, "Xenos being second best".

So, no, I've yet to see an Alien fan argue that the Alien is a superior fighter (as for a superior monster, that's opinion), but I have seen people argue that they cannot stand to a Predator, people like yourself.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: DoomRulz on May 12, 2010, 04:25:59 PM
how Celtic couldn't realize his net wasn't going to hold the Alien forever since (I'm assuming anyway) he knows how the damn works in the first place, and that the Alien's blood is going to eventually break it.
Celtic looked pretty friggin' surprised when his wrist-blades melted off. I'm guessing he wasn't sure what was and what wasn't acid-proof.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

I guess. Still a weak excuse.

Drago-Morph

Drago-Morph

I think that it was more a case of him underestimating the Alien. The net didn't seem to snap until the Alien decided to pounce; the acid most likely affected it, but to what extent is debatable.

SM

SM

Quoteone-liners are tossed around like infants in Nanking

Dude....  not cool....

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Drago-Morph on May 12, 2010, 11:14:19 PM
I think that it was more a case of him underestimating the Alien. The net didn't seem to snap until the Alien decided to pounce; the acid most likely affected it, but to what extent is debatable.

What do you mean to what extent? The net couldn't hold it because the acid was allowing it to burn through.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed