Which AvP movie do you like better?

AvP
AvPR
Author
Poll: AvP vs AvPR (Read 685,585 times)

Pvt. Hicks

Pvt. Hicks

Quote from: DoomRulz on Feb 25, 2009, 05:20:17 AM
If that were true, Batman would never have been turned into a campy 60's TV show because the comic was dark and gritty.

If what was true? That campiness was the basis for Alien and Aliens, or that the Alien shouldn't be treated in a poor manner?

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Cheesy entertainment not being based around something that was serious in tone initially.

Pvt. Hicks

Pvt. Hicks

Quote from: DoomRulz on Feb 27, 2009, 03:22:17 AM
Cheesy entertainment not being based around something that was serious in tone initially.

Did you even read my post?

Yeah man. The series was serious in tone initially, and it turned campy. I didn't quite enjoy that minor detour that occurred.

I still don't know what you're pitching, really, though I'm getting the idea that you prefer the A/P movies to be cheesy entertainment, no?

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Ok, for your sake because I know you're still young, I'll repeat myself.

Cheesy entertainment can be made from any source material. Your initial point about the Alien not being the subject of cheesy entertainment was pointless because it's fair game. There's nothing about the Alien that makes it so special which ensures it will not be in a B-movie at some point down the road.

Johnny Handsome

Johnny Handsome

QuoteThough that wasn't the basis for the Oscar-winning Alien and Aliens though.
Cheesy entertainment is fine - but not at the expense of the Alien.

And its not like they won Oscars for best picture or anything, sound fx and special effects, WOW! Its something better now! And thats really Stan Winstons work not even camerons, no Winston no Oscar.
Get down from your high horse, really, if anything is cheesy entertainment then its Aliens. Nothing but a overly long rollercoaster ride.
That's not a bad thing, but that's it.

Pvt. Hicks

Pvt. Hicks

Quote from: DoomRulz on Feb 27, 2009, 03:00:11 PM
Ok, for your sake because I know you're still young, I'll repeat myself.

Cheesy entertainment can be made from any source material. Your initial point about the Alien not being the subject of cheesy entertainment was pointless because it's fair game. There's nothing about the Alien that makes it so special which ensures it will not be in a B-movie at some point down the road.

I know...just because it can doesn't mean it should, was my point.

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Feb 27, 2009, 03:05:31 PM
QuoteThough that wasn't the basis for the Oscar-winning Alien and Aliens though.
Cheesy entertainment is fine - but not at the expense of the Alien.

And its not like they won Oscars for best picture or anything, sound fx and special effects, WOW! Its something better now! And thats really Stan Winstons work not even camerons, no Winston no Oscar.
Get down from your high horse, really, if anything is cheesy entertainment then its Aliens. Nothing but a overly long rollercoaster ride.
That's not a bad thing, but that's it.

And it was under James Cameron's direction that landed Sigourney Weaver an Actress In A Leading Role nomination.

"if anything is cheesy entertainment then its Aliens. Nothing but a overly long rollercoaster ride."

If Aliens is cheesy I don't wanna know what AvP-R is...

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

Alien and Predator series where never a oscar winning series to begin with. They only got noms or won a Oscar was due to their Visual effects never the story or acting. You guys are taking things too serious really. The Series was never at Godfather or Citizen Kane level when it came to fliming.

QuoteBatman would never have been turned into a campy 60's TV show because the comic was dark and gritty.

Batman comics never became dark until like the 80's when Frank Miller came with "The Dark Knight Returns" and also the show was made in the 60's where most stuff at the time.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Re-read the older ones.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

You mean the ones from the 30's? Yeah their where pretty dark for their time but not as dark as the ones made in the 80's from Frank Miller which was a big hit that the tone of the GN used in the Batman 1989 and Batman Begins.

I think comparing AVP movies with the Alien or Predator series is like comparing Milk and Water when their different from each other. AVP movies are meant to be fun popcorn flicks while Alien series and Predator 1/2 are taken more serious with Story, Acting and Setting. You can say the same thing with Other Movies like Gojira and King Kong 1933.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Which is milk and water? Coz milk is good for you. Then again, so's water, but milk has more benefits.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

My Point is that AVP movies and Alien/Predator are different each other and it stupid to compare them. If you watch AVP and hoping for the same impact the original movies have then your watching the wrong movie since the AVP movies are mean to be popcorn flicks that have each Race fighting each other. It a vs movie after all and you don't expect state of Art in a Crossover movie.

Johnny Handsome

Johnny Handsome

QuoteIt a vs movie after all and you don't expect state of Art in a Crossover movie.
That's not quite true, before AvP came out i always imagined a AvP movie that has the same quality of the original series, but instead of that Fox made the typical mainstream assembly line lacklustre of two dying franchises, sometimes that can be entertaining, fun summer popcorn flick, i enjoy allot of those, but avp doesn't even manage to deliever that and that's the sad thing about it.

Pvt. Hicks

Pvt. Hicks

Quote from: Kaworu on Mar 01, 2009, 12:21:07 AM
My Point is that AVP movies and Alien/Predator are different each other and it stupid to compare them. If you watch AVP and hoping for the same impact the original movies have then your watching the wrong movie since the AVP movies are mean to be popcorn flicks that have each Race fighting each other. It a vs movie after all and you don't expect state of Art in a Crossover movie.

Yes, they're popcorn flicks. Just because they ARE popcorn flicks doesn't mean they SHOULD HAVE been popcorn flicks. I highly doubt Anderson said "I'm not gonna try, I can't top Alien or Aliens. I'm just gonna make this thing dumb and entertaining."

The concept for Alien is about as B-movie as you can get, but Ridley Scott didn't say "f**k it, it's a monster killing people, let's get it over and done with."

Also, I never said it was on the level of Citizen Kane. Of course it's not! I just don't want a bad movie. As in, I don't want it to suck. :-\

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

I don't want a bad movie but I would not say the AVP movies at the same level of Alien or Predator since the AVP movies are mean to different from each other. The movie was loosey based on the comics and the comics where never the same quality of the original series.

2012iscoming

2012iscoming

AVPR was by a long way the greater achievement. As a loyal predator fan, I didn't like the way Anderson portrayed the predators and by that i mean they were pretty much little girlymen compared to what Arnie had to deal with. To be frank i didn't understand the need to hasten the process of the chestbusters as it really killed that Ridley Scott suspense. To be frank the plot wasn't great, in fact it was utter shite and no one argue because it really was! This film carried the Alien franchise because, to put it lightly, the entire concept has been moribund since 86. aha

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed