Last Movie You Watched

Started by Terx2, Dec 05, 2012, 05:12:31 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched (Read 845,869 times)

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

I think the antagonist was physically designed to look like Spielberg.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Kradan on Aug 14, 2020, 09:31:57 PM
The Dark Knight Rises

I love this one. I feel in that one Nolan went a little beyond "realistic Batman" into more "comic-book Batman". I mean, the whole city being held hostage by group of terrorists using nuclear bomb feels much more comic-booky to me. It's much more energetic and at no point in the 2 hour and 40 minutes movie I felt bored. I love Bane, especially, his look and his funny voice. His initial confrontation with Batman was terrifying and I was so happy when Batman kicked his ass later. He has so much charisma and I would put him without hesitation on the same level with Ledger's Joker. Kinda sorry he went out as a bitch. Talia was "twist for the sake of the twist" but still worked for me as a villain. I prefer this more grounded Catwoman to one from Returns and think she has great chemistry with Batman. There wasn't too much of Alfred in the movie but his scenes were pure emotion, especially the one in the end. I felt really invested into Batman's journey in this one, all logical problems aside. Him litteraly "rising" from that pit is beatiful and symbolic and poetic and just great in generall. I really dug that sorta post-apocalyptic desert-streets Gotham. Scarecrow-judge was a nice touch too. And it's so heartwarming to see a happy ending for Bruce. It wasn't fake death - because Batman actually died in that nuclear explosion

Also, gotta love this:

Spoiler
!!!BLINDING!!!

https://youtu.be/F157geaXp_w

-No guns - no killing

-Where's fun in that ?

https://youtu.be/XgKBvLVldjw
[close]

Sorry to backtrack but there's one major issue with the movie I forgot to mention. While watching ending of The Dark Knight I was thinking "Damn, whole police is on Batman's tail. What he's gonna do now ?". I expected Rises to be Batman vs Police movie. Take police chasing Batman sequence from Mask of the Phantasm but stretch it as a whole movie. You know, not only there's some villain to worry about but also lots of cops interfering constantly and trying to kill Batman. Maybe even scene where Gordon would be forced to chase and shoot him. So Dark Knight would have to fight twice as hard, bring all resources - physical, intelectual, spiritual - he has, to win

In actual TDKR we got only one police chase scene and confrontation between Batman and GCPD wasn't really focus of the movie, was it ? Oh, and Batman quit being Batman even though you wouldn't expected that at the end of TDK - at least to me, It seemed at that point he was as confident being Batman as ever. Rises is still my favourite of the triliogy but part of me will always want to see the movie ending of TDK promised.

Has anyone felt that way too ?

Huggs

Huggs

Never actually occurred to me. The jump forward in time must have just filled the gap. But yeah, fast forwarding to older/depressed batman kinda took the edge off it.

That being said, TDK is still the high point of the trilogy for me. First film felt a bit light, and the last one just felt too slow and bland. Nolans version of Bane didnt help much either.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Huggs on Aug 22, 2020, 09:49:20 PM
Never actually occurred to me. The jump forward in time must have just filled the gap. But yeah, fast forwarding to older/depressed batman kinda took the edge off it.

That being said, TDK is still the high point of the trilogy for me. First film felt a bit light, and the last one just felt too slow and bland. Nolans version of Bane didnt help much either.

YOUTAKETHATBACK!!!  >:( >:( >:(

Seriously though, I've not read much  of Batman comics and read none of Batman comics with Bane. So, I don't really know what "comic-accurate" Bane supposed to be. For me, Bane was probably the best part of the movie. Man is funny and horrific at the same time. You can have charisma poisoning by just looking at him. My only problem with him is that he was killed off as a bitch by freaking Catwoman on a bike. It should've been Batman to deliver final blow

Also this

Spoiler
!!!BLINDING!!!

https://youtu.be/F157geaXp_w
[close]

Huggs

Huggs

The problem wasn't hardy's performance. I just think Bane is one of those characters that's best done the comic book or Arkham way (if you will), and that just wasn't a good fit for the story they were telling.

It would've been like having killer croc just be some guy with alligator boots. I'd rather have seen a different character substituted for that role. He was basically just a terrorist.

Kradan

Kradan

You mean, the problem is that he's called "Bane" ? I wouldn't mind if he was completely original character created for the movie

Whatever your answer is, you admitted that Hardy was top notch, so we're cool  ;)

BTW, what about Talia? That's one hell of a "out of nowhere" villain. I'd like it more if movie would stick with Bane to the end

Quote from: Huggs on Aug 22, 2020, 10:06:44 PM
It would've been like having killer croc just be some guy with alligator boots.

That's issue I have with Nolan's trilogy as a whole. He's trying too hard to, on one hand, have "realistic" Batman and on the other, to keep more unrealistic elements in by reinterpreting them. For instance, It's bit of paradox for me that for the first chapter of his "realistic" Batman saga he's chosen one of the most unrealistic villains - Ra's Al Ghul. Or Scarecrow's mask being part of his psychological experimets. Or Joker using make-up instead of being completely white-skinned. Or. there being backstory for nickname "Two-Face". He's trying too hard to be smart with it. That's why I like Rises so much - I feel like Nolan at that point moved just a bit away from "realsitic" Batman towards more "comic-booky" one

Huggs

Huggs

Prez

Prez

Quote from: Huggs on Aug 23, 2020, 02:33:21 AM

Underrated.
A more accessible film than it's masterpiece original simply because of the charm that Schneider and co bring to the film.

Quote from: Kradan on Aug 22, 2020, 10:10:16 PM
You mean, the problem is that he's called "Bane" ? I wouldn't mind if he was completely original character created for the movie

Whatever your answer is, you admitted that Hardy was top notch, so we're cool  ;)

BTW, what about Talia? That's one hell of a "out of nowhere" villain. I'd like it more if movie would stick with Bane to the end

Quote from: Huggs on Aug 22, 2020, 10:06:44 PM
It would've been like having killer croc just be some guy with alligator boots.

That's issue I have with Nolan's trilogy as a whole. He's trying too hard to, on one hand, have "realistic" Batman and on the other, to keep more unrealistic elements in by reinterpreting them. For instance, It's bit of paradox for me that for the first chapter of his "realistic" Batman saga he's chosen one of the most unrealistic villains - Ra's Al Ghul. Or Scarecrow's mask being part of his psychological experimets. Or Joker using make-up instead of being completely white-skinned. Or. there being backstory for nickname "Two-Face". He's trying too hard to be smart with it. That's why I like Rises so much - I feel like Nolan at that point moved just a bit away from "realsitic" Batman towards more "comic-booky" one

As a long time reader and collector of Batman comics I actually didn't mind Hardy as Bane or Nolan's vision.
I won't lie I actually jumped up and cheered in the cinema when Bale finally kicked his arse.

LastSonofKrypton

LastSonofKrypton

Quote from: Prez on Aug 23, 2020, 10:04:44 AM
a long time reader and collector of Batman comics I actually didn't mind Hardy as Bane or Nolan's vision.
I won't lie I actually jumped up and cheered in the cinema when Bale finally kicked his arse.

Kradan

Kradan

Yep, good man

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

I don't think Nolan's trilogy is particularly realistic or aiming for that. Hell, Nolan himself said that was the wrong word for what he was doing back when Rises came out.

John Wick: Chapter Two

The best of the series so far. "Consider it a professional courtesy." 8)

Prez

Prez

Quote from: LastSonofKrypton on Aug 23, 2020, 03:50:18 PM
Quote from: Prez on Aug 23, 2020, 10:04:44 AM
a long time reader and collector of Batman comics I actually didn't mind Hardy as Bane or Nolan's vision.

https://media.giphy.com/media/un1u5EN4iCGaY/giphy-downsized-large.gif

;D

I actually had tears in my eyes when Bruce finally made that jump out of the prison too.

Stitch

Stitch

I just watched The Cell 2. I didn't know it existed. That was probably a good thing. It's terrible. Really bad.

Gentleman Death

Gentleman Death

Quote from: Stitch on Aug 24, 2020, 09:58:33 PM
I just watched The Cell 2. I didn't know it existed. That was probably a good thing. It's terrible. Really bad.

You're a brave, soldier.

SiL

SiL

The Black Hole

SM saying it's on Disney+ made me revisit it.

Great soundtrack, some great ideas, and the shots of the Cygnus falling into the black hole are gorgeous, but yes, it's a bit of a mess and could actually benefit from a good remake.

But holy moly is it dark for a Disney flick!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed