David Fincher talks Alien 3 (briefly) in this month's issue of Empire Magazine

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Oct 07, 2023, 12:59:15 PM

Author
David Fincher talks Alien 3 (briefly) in this month's issue of Empire Magazine (Read 15,719 times)

xShadowFoxX

Assembly Cut all the way.

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on Mar 11, 2014, 05:31:05 AMObjectively - Alien3 fails in terms of the badly written setup, is populated almost entirely by people would wouldn't care for if we could tell them apart, the main protagonist is behind the audience for most of the first half, the visual effects are sub par.  This applies to both cuts.  The Assembly is just a slower and more redundant version of the Theatrical Cut.

Subjectively - I dig them in spite of the myriad flaws.

Acid_Reign161

'Alien 3' is fine art. I'll never understand the hate. We're all watching the same movie, but we're definitely seeing (and feeling) something very different. I'm usually damn good at putting myself into another's mindset/seeing other perspectives, but this one I just find bizarre (always have). Love this movie from the first time I saw it back in '93 (even in its theatrical cut) - and it's still my go-to if I'm in an Alien mood (and I'm always in an Alien mood) 🤣

Local Trouble

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 25, 2021, 02:08:23 AMAlien 3 was just boring.  A well-crafted film in many ways, but the story had no suspense.

BlueMarsalis79

I can sooner understand the viewpoints of some truly loathsome people than I can the dislike for it by totally normal people.  So I get you Acid Reign.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Acid_Reign161 on Oct 09, 2023, 10:27:58 PM'Alien 3' is fine art. I'll never understand the hate.
I love the movie, but it's a mess. Acknowledging its many flaws isn't hate.

The only people who hate it are usually upset by Hicks and Newt and the lack of action, because it denied then what they wanted from the film.

Most people who dislike it just dislike it like normal people.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 09, 2023, 10:43:16 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 25, 2021, 02:08:23 AMAlien 3 was just boring.  A well-crafted film in many ways, but the story had no suspense.
This is the biggest thing for me. The first half is really just boring. Yeah, plenty of mood, vibe, atmosphere, whatever. But there's no tension, no suspense. We're so far ahead of the characters and just waiting for them to catch up.

jacobo1122

Quote from: xShadowFoxX on Oct 09, 2023, 09:27:35 PMAssembly Cut all the way.

Honestly, I can't understand why so many people say that Assembly Cut saved Alien 3 for them. Sure, it has nice additional scenes, some things makes a little more sense, but essentially it's the same movie, just longer. If someone didn't like Alien 3 I doubt that AC could change their mind so drasticcly. Well, maybe for a lot of people AC was first rewatch after long time with different mindset, and they would appreciate the movie even if it was theatrical version. I usually pick up theatrical version, it just has better flow for me. And I never could get over ox instead of dog, it just doesn't fit well. But I'm not saying AC is Bad or anything, I like to check it out once in a while too.

xShadowFoxX

xShadowFoxX

Quote from: jacobo1122 on Oct 11, 2023, 06:33:06 AM
Quote from: xShadowFoxX on Oct 09, 2023, 09:27:35 PMAssembly Cut all the way.

Honestly, I can't understand why so many people say that Assembly Cut saved Alien 3 for them. Sure, it has nice additional scenes, some things makes a little more sense, but essentially it's the same movie, just longer. If someone didn't like Alien 3 I doubt that AC could change their mind so drasticcly. Well, maybe for a lot of people AC was first rewatch after long time with different mindset, and they would appreciate the movie even if it was theatrical version. I usually pick up theatrical version, it just has better flow for me. And I never could get over ox instead of dog, it just doesn't fit well. But I'm not saying AC is Bad or anything, I like to check it out once in a while too.

Well to be fair, I liked Alien 3 before I watched the Assembly Cut. It's just the Assembly Cut, to me, felt more complete and comprehensive in comparison to the original cut.

In other words, it just gives me more of what I want. But that's me, personally.

Neila

I also liked Alien 3 back in 1992, with some reservations of course.
I bought the Cinefex edition and then read about a number of scenes that were shot but not used.
When the quadrilogy box with alternative versions of all the films was announced in 2002, I was totally thrilled.
After 17 years I could watch Alien 3 for the first time with the additional scenes.
In my opinion, this really enhances the film. And yes, I know people who didn't really like the film at first, but did like the assembly cut.
Of course there are plenty of people who think the film is shit one way or another

Local Trouble

Quote from: Neila on Oct 11, 2023, 12:39:29 PMOf course there are plenty of people who think the film is shit one way or another

I wouldn't say it's shit overall, but the aspects of it that are shit are still shit no matter which version you're watching.

SM

Quote from: Acid_Reign161 on Oct 09, 2023, 10:27:58 PM'Alien 3' is fine art. I'll never understand the hate. We're all watching the same movie, but we're definitely seeing (and feeling) something very different. I'm usually damn good at putting myself into another's mindset/seeing other perspectives, but this one I just find bizarre (always have). Love this movie from the first time I saw it back in '93 (even in its theatrical cut) - and it's still my go-to if I'm in an Alien mood (and I'm always in an Alien mood) 🤣

If you don't understand the hate, you haven't been paying attention.  People have been explaining why they hate it - right or wrong - for 30 years.

Space_Dementia

I understand why people might hate it, I adore both Alien & Aliens, but if I had to choose a favourite, it would be Alien 3. Just love how Fincher brought the world to life, through the cinematography, use of the camera, gorgeous score by Elliot Goldenthal.

SM

It's not difficult to understand why people might hate it, when there's so many issues.

I personally don't find any of the issues even remotely hate-worthy.

jacobo1122

For me Alien 3 is very much a vibe movie. If You just feel it, its Atmosphere, ten things like its plot and problems wouldn't be so important to You.

SiL

Sure, it's very atmospheric. But it's not hard to see why most people would prefer to feel like something is actually happening.

Alien is rightfully considered the slowest of the films, but everything leading up to the chest burster, though taking its time, is a constantly unravelling mystery.

"Where are we? Why are we awake? What will we find? What is that dead alien? What's down that hole? What came out of the egg? What will happen to Kane now? Why is Ash so weird?"

We know all of the answers in Alien3 40 minutes before everyone else. It would've worked better - although been much more of a risk - if the Alien wasn't seen in any form until it grabbed Clemens. Then there'd at least be some sort of real tension.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed