IGN's Blu-ray review.

Started by That Yellow Alien, Mar 29, 2008, 04:15:47 AM

Author
IGN's Blu-ray review. (Read 10,165 times)

That Yellow Alien

LukaKovach

LukaKovach

Quote from: IGN on Mar 29, 2008, 04:15:47 AM
AvP: R sports an unrated cut that is in no way different than the theatrical version. With the exception of some inconsequential and slightly extended gore, there are no new scenes here – no fully-restored sequences never glimpsed by audiences.It's pretty much the same time version, only two minutes longer, and serves as a prime example of the misleading nature of DVD marketing. There's nothing "special" or "extreme" about this.

Thanks Colin. Thanks for lying to me.  :)

Chocolate man!

Chocolate man!

groovy

Craig

Craig

Even though they are the same it won't stop idiots buying it.

dimelives

dimelives

AvP: R sports an unrated cut that is in no way different than the theatrical version. With the exception of some inconsequential and slightly extended gore, there are no new scenes here – no fully-restored sequences never glimpsed by audiences.It's pretty much the same time version, only two minutes longer, and serves as a prime example of the misleading nature of DVD marketing. There's nothing "special" or "extreme" about this.
But this contradicts what our own board reviewer (ScarPredator16) saw. He clearly states plenty of new material. Either IGN's reviewer didn't know the theatrical version so well for comparison, or there are as many versions of the unrated cut floating around as their are DVD packagings. He also says a point about colors being "bathed in blue"... but I thought the blue had been done away with? As for the darkness thing again, it seems that's a problem we're stuck with. Though, the DVD brightness is almost guaranteed to be at least a bit better than most movie theater projections, I'm thinkin'.

I'd like to hear ScarPredator16's thoughts on this review.

Chocolate man!

Chocolate man!

Yeah, after reading the fan review, there must have definately been more then 2 mintues in there.

ScarPredator16

ScarPredator16

I believe the reviewer. Aside from the somewhat slower paced opening, a few added scenes (that mean almost nothing to the story), more gore, and snipits of character development, it is generally the same as the Theatrical Cut. The reviewer may be over exaggerating a little (definitly more then 2 minutes were added in) but I agree with him or her. And they do have a right to over exaggerate as well, as I to felt angry that "this" was the unrated cut. I forget who said it, but I remember reading a DVD review of the Unrated cut, in which the reviewer said the newly added scenes just made a bad film even longer. While I don't think AVP-R was that bad, it really just pushed along its running time.

And this is the second review in a row to complain about the lighting. Thats awesome!

Chocolate man!

Chocolate man!

Quote from: ScarPredator16 on Mar 29, 2008, 04:51:30 AM
I believe the reviewer. Aside from the somewhat slower paced opening, a few added scenes (that mean almost nothing to the story), more gore, and snipits of character development, it is generally the same as the Theatrical Cut. The reviewer may be over exaggerating a little (definitly more then 2 minutes were added in) but I agree with him or her. And they do have a right to over exaggerate as well, as I to felt angry that "this" was the unrated cut. I forget who said it, but I remember reading a DVD review of the Unrated cut, in which the reviewer said the newly added scenes just made a bad film even longer. While I don't think AVP-R was that bad, it really just pushed along its running time.

And this is the second review in a row to complain about the lighting. Thats awesome!

I forget, did you have a problem with the lighting on the unrated cut?

XenoVC

XenoVC

Quote from: LukaKovach on Mar 29, 2008, 04:25:17 AM

Thanks Colin. Thanks for lying to me.  :)

...Owned  :D

PHANTOM

PHANTOM

Still gonna buy it 8)

shakermakerman

shakermakerman

Quote from: Colin_Strause on Feb 03, 2008, 05:48:37 PM
Quote from: vehtam on Feb 03, 2008, 01:25:20 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 03, 2008, 12:44:06 PM
Quote from: Colin_Strause on Feb 03, 2008, 06:30:16 AM
That's very true. The extended DVD is much closer to what we wanted, but I wish we had the budget to make things work better. There is only so much we can do on our first film, but now we'll be able to have more control over those things on the next one.

I thought there was only 8 more minutes on the DVD cut?

yeah, there's something fishy in that statement.  :-X

or Colin just meant completely new color correction thing, and that's all.

Getting to re-do the coloring of the entire film was a big thing for us. We had an issue with the person who was orignally doing it, and someone else came in at the last minute to make is as good as it could be for the theatrical release, but we still weren't happy. The DVD was re-done from scratch, and we are very happy with it. The longer length goes a long way in opinion on several key scenes, as well as helping to to fix the overall crazy fast pace of the film. We didn't have the time or money to extend all the scenes the way that we had in the directors cut, but over it feels so much better, hence why I said it's "closer" to what we wanted.

Quote from: Colin_Strause on Mar 22, 2008, 08:08:50 PM
Quote from: Le Celticant on Mar 18, 2008, 12:03:06 PM
I agree since the begining Greg & Colin lie us...
No change of color and light... i'm not surprised.

The color was re-done in every shot in the entire movie. We spent almost two weeks doing it. Some scenes chagned a little, most changed a lot. Jesse getting cut in half is in the unrated version, but I haven't seen the final DVD master so I don't know what they showed. It was in the version that we approved for mastering. Nothing changed from what we told everyone what was going to be on the DVD.

Yeah right............... :D

vehtam

vehtam

looks like his 'position' thing under the nickname should be changed from 'avp2 staff' to 'liar paid by fox' or something along these lines.  :-X

and someone should collect all his bullshit propaganda from this forum and post in the new thread, it would be quite interesting and amusing read.  :-X

shakermakerman

shakermakerman

There was a post where ppl was complaining how dark the movie was and he said that he just checked the film and it looks fine, it must be the cinema bulbs.... :-X but that got deleted.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

They give it a good review (7/10) which is a good thing unlike the other DVD reviews.

Gazz

Gazz

Of course they gave it 7/10.

IGN is a fox owned website.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed