New Alien Covenant Poster!

Started by SuicideDoors, Mar 23, 2017, 01:01:44 PM

Author
New Alien Covenant Poster! (Read 56,945 times)

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

little late to the party, but boy, what an amazing, amazing poster. I hope the center alien IS the movie design

newagescamartist

Quote from: StrangeShape on Mar 25, 2017, 10:26:50 PM
little late to the party, but boy, what an amazing, amazing poster. I hope the center alien IS the movie design

Covenant's alien is in the bottom left. I guess it's possible there are more than just the one, but I haven't read spoilers or anything like that.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: newagescamartist on Mar 25, 2017, 11:05:21 PM
Quote from: StrangeShape on Mar 25, 2017, 10:26:50 PM

Covenant's alien is in the bottom left. I guess it's possible there are more than just the one, but I haven't read spoilers or anything like that.

You sure? the one with a profile view? cause the one in the covenant has the same penis shaped head as the one in the first three movies, as seen in the shots of him crawling upside down on the ship in the trailer

Dangerous Days

Dangerous Days

Quote from: Predaker on Mar 25, 2017, 07:14:29 PM
Quote from: Dangerous Days on Mar 25, 2017, 04:19:13 PM
Quote from: Predaker on Mar 25, 2017, 03:49:16 PM
QuoteThe creature is presented in an ambiguous way in ALIEN. So trying to claim your preferred interpretation as definitive, while branding others interpretations as misconceptions, is hypocritical imo.

I never said that. My post was a response to him saying Cameron is notorious for degrading the alien.

And yes, it is a misconception to say the alien is indestructible or was ever intended to be so.

Maybe I was too blunt in expressing my point, so I apologise if it came across that way.

Even though I wouldn't claim that interpretation myself. I think if people want to take Ash's speech, or the climax to the film, as implying the alien is indestructible. Then personally, I don't see any definitive evidence to support or disprove the idea in ALIEN itself. Its open to interpretation. And that was my point. But it seems we will have to disagree on that one.

Not at all, you're simply attributing a sentiment to me that I never expressed.

ALIEN absolutely has some ambiguous elements that can be interpreted in different ways but the alien being indestructible is not a concept in the film. The idea of destroying or even injuring it aboard the ship is definitively present and we know for a fact the alien is not indestructible because the harpoon pierced it. Regarding the novelization, regenerating a limb is even more evidence of destructibility. The very notion that any organism could be indestructible is pure fantasy - a genre where you won't find ALIEN.

I apologise again if that's what I did.

As for the matter at hand. As I said, it's not a conclusion I personally agree with. If you skim a few pages back, you will see my post about O'Bannon and acid for blood. The point I was trying to make, is you can understand why people have come to these conclusions over the years. Whether its Ash telling Ripley they can't kill it. The alien surviving being exposed to the vacuum of space, or remaining physically intact after being hit with the engines of the Narcissus. People certainly have evidence from the film to draw from, if they want to come to those conclusions. There's also plenty of evidence in ALIEN to contradict those opinions, as you've rightly pointed out.

If we want to talk ambiguity, just look at the post's below now debating what Ash really meant.

As for the fantasy. Well I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but the Alien franchise is full of fantasy. ALIEN and ALIENS included.

Do I personally care these films can be pulled apart scientifically?... No, I don't. Because I recognise them for what they are: Great fiction and great entertainment.

Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep

Easily my favorite of the posters that have been released. Hopefully it ends up being in a potential future give away. (Wink)

Predaker

Predaker

Quote from: Dangerous Days on Mar 26, 2017, 01:10:30 AM
There's also plenty of evidence in ALIEN to contradict those opinions, as you've rightly pointed out.

Not only contradicts but trumps any opinion or suggestion of indestructibility. You can't have it both ways. The alien might be the toughest critter in the universe, but indestructible it is not.

If it bleeds...  ;D

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: Predaker on Mar 26, 2017, 04:45:41 AM
There's also plenty of evidence in ALIEN to contradict those opinions, as you've rightly pointed out.

Not only contradicts but trumps any opinion or suggestion of indestructibility. You can't have it both ways. The alien might be the toughest critter in the universe, but indestructible it is not.

If it bleeds...  ;D

Obannon said it best :

Dan Obannon: "I was stuck on one point; once they got the thing on the spaceship, I wanted to avoid the cliché of bullets bouncing off of it: the indestructible monster, I mean, that's the ancient cliché, right? 'You can't stop it, bullets won't stop it.' Not at all. I wanted the thing to be, in every respect, a natural animal, which means, yes, if you shoot it, it'll die."
"Once I had gotten the Alien inside the ship, I encountered a narrative problem, namely, why didn't they just kill the thing? ... Generations of writers before me had resorted to, 'Bullets won't stop it!' which is, of course, the biggest groaner of all time. Bullets will stop anything ... Though deadly, the critter was as vulnerable as any other animal to having holes drilled in it."
(2004)

The amount of purist uninformed propaganda here is staggering, havent seen that since 2001 myself, must be imdb people. As for the whole insect, Scott refers to the alien as insect numerous times, and said he wanted it to be like an ant. Anyway, Valaquens blog is pure facts and quotes and is always a good read before stating any opinions - https://alienseries.wordpress.com

Dangerous Days

Dangerous Days

If it bleeds...  ;D

I agree, you should not be able to have it both ways, but independent of the filmmakers intentions, the film clearly tries to, or at least leaves itself open to being interpreted that way.

Quote from: StrangeShape on Mar 26, 2017, 08:22:27 AM

If it bleeds...  ;D

Obannon said it best :

Dan Obannon: "I was stuck on one point; once they got the thing on the spaceship, I wanted to avoid the cliché of bullets bouncing off of it: the indestructible monster, I mean, that's the ancient cliché, right? 'You can't stop it, bullets won't stop it.' Not at all. I wanted the thing to be, in every respect, a natural animal, which means, yes, if you shoot it, it'll die."
"Once I had gotten the Alien inside the ship, I encountered a narrative problem, namely, why didn't they just kill the thing? ... Generations of writers before me had resorted to, 'Bullets won't stop it!' which is, of course, the biggest groaner of all time. Bullets will stop anything ... Though deadly, the critter was as vulnerable as any other animal to having holes drilled in it."
(2004)

http://www.jamescamerononline.com/cp22.png

The amount of purist uninformed propaganda here is staggering, havent seen that since 2001 myself, must be imdb people. As for the whole insect, Scott refers to the alien as insect numerous times, and said he wanted it to be like an ant. Anyway, Valaquens blog is pure facts and quotes and is always a good read before stating any opinions - https://alienseries.wordpress.com

What ever O'Bannon's intentions were, we still have to recognise certain contradictions between intentions and what appears on film.

To me, a bullet proof creature is no more fantastical than a complex organism that can survive in the vacuum of space, or remain intact after being blasted with the engines of a spacecraft.

The problem I have with these arguments from authority is the double standards often used from both sides.
As I tried to point out in my earlier post about egg morphing vs the incineration of the creature by the Narcissus engines. Intentions of the filmmakers seem to go out of the window when it suits certain arguments.

The insect inspirations were always there, no argument from me. But we still have to recognise a difference in how these themes are portrayed on screen between the 2 films. RS's approach is more nuanced. Cameron's depiction, although a logical conclusion some may argue, is more overt, less mysterious; and for me, less alien as a result.

The truth is, we can all pull these films apart logically and scientifically if we choose to. But its a testament of their quality to me, that I can suspended my disbelief and leave that baggage at the door when watching.

I also feel, it has to be recognised, that these argument rage on, not just through people being ill-informed, but because there are contradictions in and between the films themselves.

SiL

SiL

The first film explicitly shows the Alien bleeding when hit by the harpoon gun. There was no contradiction in intention: you shoot the thing, it's shot. The end.

cliffhanger

cliffhanger

if it bleeds, it has veins. if it has veins, it has a vein system. if it has a vein system, it must have something to pump the blood through the body. that means a heart. if it's mechanical or biological or biomechanical, it is, in the very essense, what is a heart. damage/destroy the heart, end of story.

funny enough, i have not seen a mention of that ever. it must have a heart, there is no way around it. even if it has acid for blood, the acid is part of the blood, and more of a protective feat than anything. the blood must carry oxygen or other nutrients for it to be able to function and live.

even if it is a perfect organism, it's still an organism. that means it has a biological build that demands certain organs. brains, a heart, blood, longues, probably liver, bowels, a stomach, etc. it definately has various glands. it produces saliva, so it needs glands for that. it also is able somehow to secrete resin, as it builds a nest/hive. it somehow thus must be able to secrete resin. it needs a gland for that too.

in any case, it's a living organism, that serves a function, and is more or less a biomechanical machine with a goal. its offcourse very interesting all that, but it only means that it is something that is lives, and something that lives, is able to die.

a rock is lifeless, end of story. a robot is not a living organism, but even then it can be terminated.

if the alien couldn't die, it wouldnt need acid for blood. if it was invincible/indestructable, it would not 'tacticaly' move but simply go from human to human and kill them one at a time.

it's as both lethal as it is mortal.

i like the fact the ship simply had no guns. we also saw that is sufficiently strong that when a human tried to attack it with an axe or whatever it was (when lambert was about to be lobotomized) that it defended itself from the attack. the only thing the crew had was the flamethrower.

also, we saw that steam or perhaps cold air also hurts it. it thus is able to sense pain. for example, when ripley wanted to blow it out of the airlock in the narcissus, she did something that saw some steam sprayed on it, and it screamed as it did hurt it. and it got rather pissed off by it too.

it has thus emotions, it has feelings. Ash stated it was not hampered by moral codes, when he paired it to say it was the perfect organism.
apart from the moral aspect, it is just as mortal as the rest of us. Dwayne Johnson is stronger than me, but he's just as mortal.
if a soldier wears a bulletproof vest, he's still just as mortal.

'a tough 'sonofabish'' but never undestructable.

guns kills it, there simply weren't aboard. and even if they did, one must question, would it be wise to shoot at the creature and either
a) shoot a hole in the hull with devastating results
b) shoot a hole in the creature and have its acidic blood burn a hole in the hull with devastiting results.

'you have my deepest sympathy'

indeed, even if the crew had guns, they didnt stand much of a chance, perhaps even less.

they wanted to shoot it out of the airlocks, that was the only solution. not neccesarily to kill it,
but it wouldnt be able to do anything to them anymore.

even if it's body could withstand the pressure, it would die from radiation, cold, and lack of ingredients for sustaining life.
a human in an astronaut suit can stay outside of a station for a while, but if it was disconnected and drifting in space,
it would die eventually. soon enough from oxygen, really, but it wouldnt explode or decompose in seconds in space.

as for the engine thing,
it was clear to me that it got hurt from the engine blow. the engine was not on when it grabbed onto it, it was however
rather hurt by it, showing it got damaged. you hear it scream, it cant hold on to the engine obviously, and you see imho
fragments of burnt alien spraying around. tiny, but i thought i rememberd seeing 'something like a cloud' / steam coming
off the alien.

it is to all its core, mortal.

SiL

SiL

They had weapons. Dallas mentions them in the theatrical cut and Kane pulls one out when inspecting the egg in the Director's Cut. They couldn't use them because of the acid blood.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: cliffhanger on Mar 26, 2017, 12:20:00 PM
if it bleeds, it has veins. if it has veins, it has a vein system. if it has a vein system, it must have something to pump the blood through the body. that means a heart.
Worth pointing out that there's several problems with this logic chain. Insects, for example, have blood but have an "open" circulatory system that doesn't rely on veins.

Necronomicon II

Necronomicon II

It can be penetrated with enough force; it's just a very tough son of a bitch, but not quite indestructible. 

zoidy

zoidy

@cliffhanger

as Xenomrph mentions, biological does not demand the organs you listed. Insects don't have lungs, or a heart as such. They have systems which serve the same or similar ends, ie pump blood, or distribute air, but for example the oxygen isn't transported within the insects "blood" equivalent.

Point is - we have "alien" (to us) biological systems on earth. Why would an actual alien have remotely similar systems to us?

Pvt. Himmel

Pvt. Himmel

DECODING THE ALIEN COVENANT POSTER IN COLOR!!     .  (By Gavin Singleton of scified)

The legend for the colors used is as follows: 
Yellow - Protomorphs (3)
Light Turquoise Blue - Xenomorphs (9)
Dark Blue - Engineers (4)
Purple - Trilobite (at least 1)
Red - Queen (at least 1)
Green - Facehuggers (2)

Quote      Some have suggested that what I have identified as the Queens crown carapace may in actuality be the body of a Trilobite. I postulate that is instead both, as the body section of the Trilobites back shares some similar markings to that of the Queens crown carapace.

You will also notice that the three Protomorphs are shown almost unobstructed and unrestrained, whereas the numerous Xenomorphs seem to be overwhelmed, with only their heads visible among the mass. Most interesting are the four engineers, the three males of which are being subjugated, two by (differing) Facehuggers, and one by the Trilobite. The female engineer (the bosom/breast is too full to be male, the upper arm is less muscular and the hand is more feminine) is the only Engineer not being attacked, though like the other three Engineers her face is obscured.

The monochrome, untreated areas are where the mystery remains. Although there is an arm visible in the top left quadrant with an accompanying rib cage, whatever this figure is meant to be has been morphed into the surrounding mass. More interesting is the pelvic shaped mass above this arm and the inhuman mass beneath the lowermost Engineer.

As for the inferred meaning of all of this one can only speculate, as the best art even that which is memorial in nature is meant to be open to the interpretation of the audience. Even when the artist is clearly depicting something identifiable the best examples of art, especially renaissance pieces can be viewed from a different perspective.

My interpretation of this piece would be that the Engineers and Xenomorphs are being subjugated by the Trilobite with the Protomorphs rising from the chaos. The Queen/Trilobites crown being displayed top and center is possibly symbolizing said creatures position in the hierarchy of the hive mass depicted, possibly inferring that the Queen is closer related to the Protomorph than the classic Xenomorph.   

http://www.alien-covenant.com/topic/43817 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed