Dark Horse Fire and Stone (Prometheus/Aliens/AvP/Predator/Omega): All Reviews

Started by happypred, Sep 09, 2014, 07:43:43 AM

Author
Dark Horse Fire and Stone (Prometheus/Aliens/AvP/Predator/Omega): All Reviews (Read 135,248 times)

CONKERSBADFURDAY

CONKERSBADFURDAY

Quote from: happypred on Dec 17, 2014, 03:33:01 AM
Quote from: CONKERSBADFURDAY on Dec 17, 2014, 03:22:02 AMMy review of Predator: Fire and Stone 3 will go live tomorrow

How much action is there? How good is the action? I'd like to see Ahab kick ass and take names. The predators in the AvP series don't do much
As to this, there's less action than I would have liked. Worse off for serious Predator fans, Galgo takes the spotlight for most of it. Ahab has a moment, but it's fairly brief. The issue itself spends more time focusing on Galgo/Ahab as a duo and less time on killing aliens or other LV223 wildlife.

However, the issue cliffhangers into what I'm guessing will be a battle between Ahab and an Engineer.

Ultramorph

The first review of Aliens #4 is up, and it's a 5/5. Beware of spoilers.

http://whatchareading.com/aliens-fire-stone-issue-4/

Ultramorph

Another review of Aliens #4 has gone live. It's overall positive. Beware of spoilers.

http://www.rockshockpop.com/forums/content.php?4581-Aliens-Fire-And-Stone-4

happypred

Quote from: CONKERSBADFURDAY on Dec 17, 2014, 10:44:43 PMAs to this, there's less action than I would have liked. Worse off for serious Predator fans, Galgo takes the spotlight for most of it.

Yeah...almost zero action

QuoteHowever, the issue cliffhangers into what I'm guessing will be a battle between Ahab and an Engineer.

I really hope that the battle doesn't disappoint.

CONKERSBADFURDAY

Just read Aliens FaS #4. I don't think too highly of it. The issue basically spends its runtime going over questions we've all asked already and then not answering any of them. At least it has an end though, unlike Prometheus #4

Quote from: happypred on Dec 22, 2014, 02:17:12 AM
I really hope that the battle doesn't disappoint.
The problem is that the comic can't just be about Ahab fighting an Engineer. There has to be more to the whole thing yet. My guess is they'll start fighting and something will happen to force them apart. But I could be wrong. Galgo still needs to get off LV223.

Ultramorph

More and more it seems like these last couple issues are just padding to to kill time until Omega. I really, really hope it doesn't disappoint.

DarthJoker45

Quote from: CONKERSBADFURDAY on Dec 22, 2014, 04:07:42 AM
Just read Aliens FaS #4. I don't think too highly of it. The issue basically spends its runtime going over questions we've all asked already and then not answering any of them. At least it has an end though, unlike Prometheus #4

Spoiler
Does the deacons show up in this issue? Also, does Russell wake the Engineer up? When will your review be up?
[close]

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

I just finished Predator #3, and was a bit underwhelmed, unfortunately. Full thoughts below.

Spoiler
The biggest problem was that this issue just felt like padding. The way Angela and company were reintroduced at the end of the previous issue had me thinking that they would play a bigger part in the rest of the story, but once again we're left with "Wait for Omega!"

That being said, I liked the scene where Ahab and Galgo share how they got their war-wounds. Still, I think issue #2 effectively established their relationship enough that another issue of that wasn't necessary; the "buddy cop" thing didn't come across as strong in this issue.

They probably could have just had this series be 3 issues, and I think I'm starting to feel that way about some of the other FaS series, as well. The big story is beginning to feel a bit padded and bloated now. Maybe it will read differently when we can read it all together.

Either way, I'm hoping that the climactic battle is sufficiently awesome to save the series, which I was really enjoying until this issue.
[close]

CONKERSBADFURDAY

Quote from: DarthJoker45 on Dec 22, 2014, 03:58:51 PM
Quote from: CONKERSBADFURDAY on Dec 22, 2014, 04:07:42 AM

Spoiler
Does the deacons show up in this issue? Also, does Russell wake the Engineer up? When will your review be up?
[close]
Spoiler
No. There's a wide shot of the mountain at the end of the comic, and the mountain truly could be the deacon in some form. Like a hunched over deacon with his spines sticking up into the air. It's hard to tell.

As to the Engineer, it's...hard to tell. My gut reaction is to say "no" but Russell's final words are a little confusing in their pronoun use, as if he's talking to someone off screen. That could be the Engineer. But there's no true answer there.
[close]
Review should be up tomorrow. Going to write it now. I need to read the comic one more time. There might be some good stuff I've missed.

Ultramorph

Spoiler
I wonder if it will end up like Destroying Angels, only with a huge Deacon running around, like the the huge xeno.
[close]

happypred

Quote from: Ultramorph on Dec 22, 2014, 08:15:32 PMI just finished Predator #3, and was a bit underwhelmed, unfortunately.

Yeah...it seemed a bit meandering and pointless. The whole issue barely has any cool action. I like character development...but issue #3 doesn't has neither solid action nor amazing character development. It's just...padding

CONKERSBADFURDAY

CONKERSBADFURDAY

Quote from: happypred on Dec 23, 2014, 03:52:34 AM
Quote from: Ultramorph on Dec 22, 2014, 08:15:32 PMI just finished Predator #3, and was a bit underwhelmed, unfortunately.

Yeah...it seemed a bit meandering and pointless. The whole issue barely has any cool action. I like character development...but issue #3 doesn't has neither solid action nor amazing character development. It's just...padding
I disagree. The backstory for Galgo was really needed and helped flesh him out a bit more, and though he was getting along fine with Ahab in the last issue, they've got way more of a backnforth going now. I find both of these factors to be important, though I do think the comic could have done some things better.

Edit: here's my review for Alien #4 http://wethenerdy.com/aliens-fire-and-stone-4-review/

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Ultramorph on Dec 22, 2014, 08:15:32 PM
I just finished Predator #3, and was a bit underwhelmed, unfortunately. Full thoughts below.

Spoiler
The biggest problem was that this issue just felt like padding. The way Angela and company were reintroduced at the end of the previous issue had me thinking that they would play a bigger part in the rest of the story, but once again we're left with "Wait for Omega!"
[close]

I think the problem is not knowing where everything fits in the big picture. Predator is Galgo and Ahab's story, not Angela's. But they needed it known they'd been surviving.

That said, I did like #3. It went to further establish their dynamic and add more history Galgo - he really is a dick, showing his actions in Prometheus weren't a once off kind of thing. I dug it. I just hope the conclusion is satisfying.

Ultramorph

You're probably right, Hicks. It'll read better when all is said and done.

As far as AvP #4 next month, I was wondering if anyone else had the same thought I did...

Spoiler
That Elden is starting, in certain ways, to look like the creatures we seen Ahab hunting in the flashback in issue #2; namely, four arms, same flat nose and nostril shape.

[close]

predxeno

Having finished Aliens #4, I have to say, "Wow, and people thought Alien: Isolation's ending was ambiguous..." :(

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed