Biohazard(Resident Evil)game series

Started by Dark Blade Hunter, Apr 16, 2013, 02:11:21 PM

Author
Biohazard(Resident Evil)game series (Read 64,814 times)

BlueMarsalis79

I meant the franchise, and yeah I'm aware Alien's as similar to Planet of the Vampires, as Geralt's to Elric. But Resident Evil's imitated Alien(s), repeatedly since the beginning, it's really no surprise the recent entry imitated Alien Covenant. And the prequels in general to be honest, you might even say that the horror survival first person whole thing that Biohazard capitalized on, with a persistent monster chasing you? Only exists because of Alien Isolation (& P.T. Silent Hills) in my honest view, and dozens of imitators, like Observer.

Much like the way Doom came so close to being an Alien licensed thing, the franchise once again, failed to capitalise on the initial potential success they created.

Imagine what the Alien franchise might be today, if instead of letting Resident Evil Biohazard steal their thunder, they created a sequel to Isolation right away exploiting The Pathogen to create a similar experience?

Missed opportunity.

Kimarhi

I think you are giving the Aliens series too much credit. 

Outlast was the first run from everything and hide game that had the first person view that I can remember. 

And in this game Ethan goes full doomslayer mode.  Its not really the same thing. 

Obviously there are influences from one of the most popular horror/scifi series ever made, but I havent really felt that RE has ever been as blatant about stealing source material as Alien was from Planet of the Vampires. 

Police/military types going to investigate strange happenings goes all the way back to the fifties.  Them! is a prime example of an Aliens movie before Aliens. 

Before this goes any further, I'm not saying RE has NO inspiration from Alien, the fact that the Alien design is so engraved in peoples heads make monster creation without that influence almost impossible, I'm just saying that I don't think the RE series is a play by play, trope by trope recreation of the Alien series.

Deathbearer

I don't get where the Alien comparison is coming from. Romero movies? sure. Evil Dead? sure. Alien? I don't see it.

I blew through REmake3 recently, thought it was okay but boy they sure cut a lot of shit out. I blame it on the mulitplayer bullshit.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I actually found both REmakes to be somewhat disappointing.  The cutting of second campaign in RE 2 to just a rehash of the first campaign annoyed the shit out of me.  Especially since the first RE2 had FOUR DIFFERENT campaigns.  Claire A was not the same as Claire B, nor were Leon's campaigns the same.  There should have at LEAST been alternating chapters between the two OR two full differing campaigns.  To have to fight the same bosses in the same arenas was stupid.

RE3 was originally a short game, so RE3 being short didn't especially bother me I just didn't like some creative decisions they made.  I personally feel that they should have had more interaction with the UBCS like the original game, and that there should've been a longer section of the game devoted to the racoon city portion of the original.  Seeing the UBCS running around the city was the first time a RE game didn't feel so barren.   Like it was just you vs countless zombies (even though that doesn't change it felt like other people were there). 

I also didnt like Nicholai's death in this one.  I liked it better in the original where you could choose the way he died. 

There was also some issues with Jill I didn't like.  They wanted her to be tough, but then they have her deepthroating a bug. 

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: Deathbearer on Jun 07, 2021, 01:50:13 PM
I don't get where the Alien comparison is coming from. Romero movies? sure. Evil Dead? sure. Alien? I don't see it.
Me neither. Other than people fighting a non-human monster, with a shady corporation involved, but that's not exactly exclusive to Alien, and is a fairly generic trope.

PredBabe

PredBabe

Quote from: Kimarhi on Jun 07, 2021, 01:36:38 PM

Outlast was the first run from everything and hide game that had the first person view that I can remember. 

And in this game Ethan goes full doomslayer mode.  Its not really the same thing. 

Obviously there are influences from one of the most popular horror/scifi series ever made, but I havent really felt that RE has ever been as blatant about stealing source material as Alien was from Planet of the Vampires. 

Police/military types going to investigate strange happenings goes all the way back to the fifties.  Them! is a prime example of an Aliens movie before Aliens. 

Before this goes any further, I'm not saying RE has NO inspiration from Alien, the fact that the Alien design is so engraved in peoples heads make monster creation without that influence almost impossible, I'm just saying that I don't think the RE series is a play by play, trope by trope recreation of the Alien series.

Agreed.

Resident Evil has always been inspired by many other media sources. It's never been anything new and they usually manage to make it their own for the story being told in whatever game being made. The final form of Nemesis in REmake 3 even bore a resemblance to the face of the Queen Alien. They're just subtleties. I don't see the harm in other artists drawing inspiration from another's work anyways.

I'm not a complete fan of the first person perspective that the series has started to take on (though I do think that P.T. inspired many game designers and showed developers that survival horror would sell) but there is no denying that it feels more immersive.

Based mostly on storytelling, this is my ranking of the series so far (skipping games like the Outbreak series and also lumping together the remakes with the originals):

1. REmake
2. REmake 2
3. RE Revelations 2
4. RE Code Veronica
5. REmake 3
6. RE Village
7. RE 7
8. RE 5
9. RE 4
10. RE 6
11. RE Revelations
12. RE 0

Edited my annoying typos lol

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: PredBabe on Jun 07, 2021, 03:32:12 PM
Quote from: Kimarhi on Jun 07, 2021, 01:36:38 PM

Agreed.

Resident Evil has always been inspired by many other media sources. It's never been anything new and they usually manage to make it their own for the story being told in whatever game being made. The final form of Nemesis in REmake 3 even has a slight resemblance to the face of the Queen Alien. They're just subtleties. I don't see the harm in other artists drawing inspiration from another's work anyways.

I'm not a complete fan of the first person perspective that the series has started to take on (I do think that P.T. Inspired many game designers and showed that survival horror would sell) but there is not denying that it feels more immersive.

Basted mostly on storytelling, this is my ranking of the series so far (skipping games like the Outbreak series and also lumping together the remakes with the originals):

1. REmake
2. REmake 2
3. RE Revelations 2
4. RE Code Veronica
5. REmake 3
6. RE Village
7. RE 7
8. RE 5
9. RE 4
10. RE 6
11. RE Revelations
12. RE 0
If we're combining the remakes with the originals, I think my order goes:
3, 7, 4, 1, 2, 8, Rev2, Rev1, CV, 5, 6, 0

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Me @ Resident Evil

And Isolation's the first I can think of that not only stood out amongst many others, but key to that particular fascination, it had survival horror first person resource management- not only a hide in lockers simulator 2014 as everything following Amnesia practiced.

SiL

SiL

Does adding "first person" in front of "resource management" really make it unique, though? The RE games have always had resource management, it's a bit of a stretch to say they're aping Isolation by maintaining it in first person.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

The pacing and necessity of the combat with the molded's nearly identical to that of the Working Joes so yes to me it is, I'm not the only person to catch on to this either though, many an article say much the same thing.

PredBabe

PredBabe

The molded are literally the zombies/hunters/lickers/etc. of RE7. They are no different from prior enemies in past games.

What Capcom did change with RE7 was the persistent infected characters who stalk around the house and require you to either hide from or stun them to escape. But you could also argue that Capcom started this concept on a lesser scale with Nemesis or even Mr.X in the original RE3 and RE2.

SiL

SiL

We can, however facetiously, claim all survival horror games are Alien inspired because of the original Commodore/ZXSpectrum/Toaster oven game from the 80s which was one of the first.

BlueMarsalis79

I'm not being facetious.

PredBabe

Well damn :laugh:

I meant to reply to this earlier:

Quote from: Kimarhi on Jun 07, 2021, 05:30:46 AM

Spoiler
I think the next numbered game will feature Rose as the protagonist and you will actually get to play as a bioweapon with actual abilities.
[close]

Spoiler
You're probably right about that... The whole "The Fathers story is over" quote at the end kinda alludes to that.

I just wish they would work the Alex/Natalia storyline into the main games and quit with all these throwaway villains. Alex fits the bill for being an ultimate baddie who could easily make a lasting mark on the series. She literally has the upper hand.

Natalia and Rose are close to the same age that it could still potentially work even with a jump in the timeline...
[close]

BlueMarsalis79

Makes me want another Silent Hill.

Wonder what Rose- I mean Heather-
I mean Cheryl's up to now.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed