ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages)

Started by Cvalda, Nov 23, 2013, 05:33:45 AM

Author
ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages) (Read 399,468 times)

Quarax

Millburn is supposed to have 2 Ls.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

RakaiThwei

Noticed that Hick's report mentioned a small team of REMF Marines.. Is that a reference to Fire and Stone, or were the REMF Marines mentioned in other media way before the upcoming Dark Horse reboot?

SM

Quote from: Quarax on Sep 04, 2014, 09:21:59 PM
Millburn is supposed to have 2 Ls.

Bummer.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Well, the sample pages have "prototype" stamped all over them and a few captions are still incomplete so hopefully the typo has been spotted by an editor.

I misspelled his name myself a couple pages back.

SM

I'll tell the editor, but I suspect it's gotten by about half a dozen people.

Disappointing, but if you'd asked me I would've said it was only spelled with one L.

Cvalda

He can't even decide whether he has a Southern accent or not, so it's fitting he wouldn't remember if his name had one L or two. ;D

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on Sep 04, 2014, 10:06:32 PM
I'll tell the editor, but I suspect it's gotten by about half a dozen people.

Disappointing, but if you'd asked me I would've said it was only spelled with one L.

If the book says "would of" at any point, I'm blaming SM.

SM

I'll totes wear that one...

sd perry

Wow, some good questions! I don't want to be a big spoiler person, so I'll try to address as many as I can without going overboard...

OK, in no particular order:
-Yes, there will be a standard edition, so far as I know.
-I wrote about ten pages of material of the fictional Space Beast, telling the story of what happened on Fury 161 in Morse's voice. So, like 10 pages from a book. I haven't seen the very final version, so some of it may have been cut... BTW, WAY fun to write.
-Yes, there's a timeline. I did my best, but it was a major undertaking. Thankfully, my editor and his contact at Fox had several uber-fans contracted to check for continuity, so it should be fairly comprehensive. I was asked to reference some of the new stuff coming out (Fire and Stone, the game, etc), so that upcoming projects would be included in canon, but there aren't a lot of details in the report, just references.
-The USCM tech manual was a great resource, but I don't think this book is much like it... totally different visuals, and a lot of Company voice in this one. This is more about WY's take on the xenomorph than a tech book, though there is a lot of tech stuff included. The art is amazing.
-The big mysteries, like how did the egg get on the Sulaco... I addressed some of these things but didn't definitively answer them. Remember, these were movies, there was a ton of artistic license taken when they were made, and while I did my best to supply plausible theories, I didn't necessarily solve anything.
-The WY report is written a few months after the events in Resurrection.
-With Prometheus, I had to be very, very careful about discussing Alien origin, because there are new things being written and I wasn't invited to speculate. That's all I can say, I believe. Except that I'm pretty certain it's Milburn, one L. Online sources disagree in either direction, but it was Milburn in the script...
-The Walmart thing... my editor and I decided that was a rumor. WY just had to go underground for awhile.
-Oh, and I came up with XX121. Honestly, I just put it in as a reminder to go back and put in whatever WY really called the things, but the higher ups decided that XX121 worked just fine. Apparently, that is now the creature's designation. Go figure!

Did I get everything so far? Thank you so much for asking, and for your kind words. I'll still be around for a few days, so please ask more... If I can answer, I will. Cheers!

sd perry

I stand corrected. It does say Millburn on his helmet... Maybe they misspelled it?  :)

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

It seems like Fox is making major changes to the Alien franchise. Since there seems to be some non-disclosure agreements potentially barring details on the book, and this does relate to the timeline in a sense.. I would assume that there is some hush-hush on what is included, but can you talk about what entries in the franchise are not in the timeline? Were you told to leave out certain entries and events from the timeline as well?

Kimarhi

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Sep 04, 2014, 09:35:43 PM
Noticed that Hick's report mentioned a small team of REMF Marines.. Is that a reference to Fire and Stone, or were the REMF Marines mentioned in other media way before the upcoming Dark Horse reboot?

I'm trying to avoid spoilers by not looking at all this but in military jargon REMF stands for rear echelon motherf**kers.  Mostly hated by those of us that have done time in combat arms because they are so far removed from the battlefield they are like civilians in uniform and want to try to call the shots (and often do) about our SOP, ROE, and TTPs even though they might be countries away and oblivious to the actual situation on the ground. 

See pog (person other than grunt) and fobbit (deployed individuals who never leave the wire). 

SM

Quote from: sd perry on Sep 05, 2014, 12:44:47 AM
I stand corrected. It does say Millburn on his helmet... Maybe they misspelled it?  :)

Vickers misspelled it on the manifest, thus leading to the ground crew misspelling it on his clothes and video feed.

Must be it.  :)

Xenomrph

Are there references to any of the older stuff in the timeline? The Bantam novels, 90s-era comics, etc.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed