Does anybody actually like the Oram/David/Xeno get up and rise moment?

Started by motherfather, Oct 31, 2017, 09:36:07 AM

Author
Does anybody actually like the Oram/David/Xeno get up and rise moment? (Read 17,581 times)

stephen

I didn't like it at all.  It felt all Jazz Hands to me.

I get what they were trying to do.  But that doesn't make it right.  It may have been beautifully filmed and scored, but that doesn't mean it's good.

Sorry Ridley but I don't care for the direction you have taken the franchise.

Taxemic

Loved the scene. Probably my favorite chest burst after the original.

acrediblesource

I teared up and had to make use of a few tissues. Honestly the most proudest moment in my life next to seeing my first born son. If those of you have children, you know what I mean. Those moments that last a life time. Both a blood mess.

But joking aside, worst scene ever IMHO.

Quote from: Taxemic on Nov 09, 2017, 10:42:24 AM
Loved the scene. Probably my favorite chest burst after the original.

Berend

It's not my favorite chestburster but I can respect that they did something special with it. It fit with the theme of the movie.

Stitch

What they tried to do and what they actually achieved are two totally different things.

They tried to make it beautiful, ethereal and unnerving.

They succeeded in making it goofy and completely unthreatening.

I think the chestbursting scene in Spaceballs was more effective.

ChrisPachi

Quote from: stephen on Nov 09, 2017, 05:57:41 AMI get what they were trying to do.

The First Birth. The Emergence. The End Of Days.

I too remember when the alien wasn't full of shit.

Naginata

The reasons everybody seems to hate the scene - the cute lil' eldritch horror, the completely inappropriate soundtrack, David's creeper face, etc. - are exactly the reasons I love it. It's like the movie suddenly ceased to be about Daniels and co. and became 100% sympathetic to David and the Xenos.

Scorpio

Haters of Covenant will never understand.  If the movie was the fan fiction they had in their heads, they still would probably hate it.  They hate anything that isn't Aliens.

The xeno birth in Aliens was kind of cheesy if you think about it.  The sound effect when the woman opens her eyes, the way the chestburster can not even get out of the body, it's little arms, squealing at the marines, etc.

But the blinkered lenses of nostalgia will demand that scene is absolutely perfect. 

Delta Echo Alpha Delta

I think it works as a great contrast to Kane's chest burster birth.
On the Nostromo it's unexpected, horrifying and from a human perspective, but in covenant it's expected, Oram is alone and it's from the Androids perspective of the Xenomorph. You can see why Ash, Bishop and David has such fascination with the creature.

Still Collating...

I also really like that scene because of the contrast in tone to what we normally expect. Though I'm not too keen on the chestburster design, the music plus Davids reaction to his "child" is beautiful in a morbid kind of way.

reecebomb

Quote from: Scorpio on Nov 24, 2017, 06:09:13 AM
Haters of Covenant will never understand.  If the movie was the fan fiction they had in their heads, they still would probably hate it.  They hate anything that isn't Aliens.

This tired delusional argument is still as moronic as ever.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Scorpio on Nov 24, 2017, 06:09:13 AM

You're wrong every time you try to claim something like this. Just because someone doesn't like Covenant, doesn't equate to it being because they like Aliens.

grootsuit

grootsuit

the song in this scene is the one i play most often from the soundtrack, something very emotional and raw to it

PsyKore

Quote from: grootsuit on Nov 27, 2017, 04:25:53 PM
the song in this scene is the one i play most often from the soundtrack, something very emotional and raw to it

I love listening to it too. The music creates such a terrific atmosphere for the chestburster moment, and it's a testament to how integral music can be in movies. Without that music, the scene wouldn't be anywhere as powerful, IMO.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed