Dune Remake

Started by Gates, Oct 17, 2007, 12:50:34 AM

Author
Dune Remake (Read 161,718 times)

SM

SM

When I first saw Dune, I didn't have the faintest idea what it was about.  Spice and worms and Christ knows what.  Years later I read the book, loved it and could appreciate the film more.

That said - it's ripe for a proper screen adaption.

windebieste

windebieste

It's a Great David Lynch movie; but it's a long way away from what a definitive version of 'Dune' for the big screen should be.  I'm thinking it should be something along the lines of Jackson's 'The Lord of the Rings' Trilogy where just about all the right beats are present in terms of design, dialogue, editing and so on...  There's very little in terms of presentation with those 3 movies that needs amendment. 

Lynch's 'Dune' was a more personal movie - like just about all of Lynch's movies (and television).  His personal touch is great when it's using completely original content - there's nothing quite like it - but it's the kind of style that's not in tempo when he is relying on well known source material like 'Dune'.

Looking forward to seeing this new version happen. 

-Windebieste.

Scorpio

Scorpio

Lynch's Dune is pretty good, it's like if he directed Star Wars.  Best enjoyed under the influence.  :P

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SM on Dec 22, 2016, 04:40:02 AM
When I first saw Dune, I didn't have the faintest idea what it was about.  Spice and worms and Christ knows what.  Years later I read the book, loved it and could appreciate the film more.

That said - it's ripe for a proper screen adaption.

Same. I think I watched it with my Dad a long time ago because it Patrick Stewart in it and I've been a Trekkie since birth. I picked up the book on a whim about 6 years back and just f**king loved it. Probably my favorite sci-fi book so far. I watched Lynch's and managed to enjoy it more because of the book. I did struggle through the Sci-Fi Channel mini-series sequel though. I never read any of the other books. I remember Vulhalla saying they were terrible.

Now this new I'm pretty excited about. I really enjoyed Arrival and Blade Runner is looking promising.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Would have been really interesting to see Ridley Scott's take on Dune especially after seeing all those amazing desert landscape shots in The Martian and Prometheus.

After directing Alien, Scott actually worked on a Dune film for De Laurentiis for approximately 7 months before he bailed-out due to his elder brother's untimely death. Only got as far as the first draft though. I think he wanted to split-up the story into 2 separate films as well. He had also reputedly retained Giger as a production illustrator from Jodorowsky's failed attempt.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Dec 22, 2016, 04:57:49 PM
Would have been really interesting to see Ridley Scott's take on Dune especially after seeing all those amazing desert landscape shots in The Martian and Prometheus.

After directing Alien, Scott actually worked on a Dune film for De Laurentiis for approximately 7 months before he bailed-out due to his elder brother's untimely death. Only got as far as the first draft though. I think he wanted to split-up the story into 2 separate films as well. He had also reputedly retained Giger as a production illustrator from Jodorowsky's failed attempt.

The screenwriter has said he wanted to insert an incestuous relationship between Paul and his mother. I wonder how Ridley would have responded to that. :laugh:

skhellter

skhellter

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ephemer Nine

Ephemer Nine

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Dec 22, 2016, 04:57:49 PM
He had also reputedly retained Giger as a production illustrator from Jodorowsky's failed attempt.

Yes, that's where these came from:

Reportedly, Giger was an admirer of David Lynch (he thought "Eraserhead" was closer to his sensibilities than his own movies) and wanted to work with him on the next attempt, but Lynch thought Giger's style was too popular at the time and wanted to go for something fresh.

So, yeah, Giger and Lynch were very close to having worked together  :)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: KiramidHead on Dec 23, 2016, 12:39:04 AM
The screenwriter has said he wanted to insert an incestuous relationship between Paul and his mother. I wonder how Ridley would have responded to that. :laugh:

Ridley seemed ok with his first draft, don't know if that particular bit of artistic license was added in yet? But it wouldn't have surprised me if Ridley wanted to veer wildly away from the book like he later did with Blade Runner/Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.

All I can find is:

"In a seven month period Rudolph Wurlitzer came up with a first draft of the script which I felt was a decent distillation of Frank Herbert's book." - Ridley Scott

Quote from: Ephemer Nine on Dec 23, 2016, 01:21:40 PM
Yes, that's where these came from:

Reportedly, Giger was an admirer of David Lynch (he thought "Eraserhead" was closer to his sensibilities than his own movies) and wanted to work with him on the next attempt, but Lynch thought Giger's style was too popular at the time and wanted to go for something fresh.

So, yeah, Giger and Lynch were very close to having worked together  :)

Interesting, yeah I can imagine Giger admired Lynch for his surrealist style. Giger would have been ideal for designing everything related to the Harkonnens and creatures such as the worms and navigators.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Dune is one of my favourite books ever. Please make it happen.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Looks like he got the job:

QuoteArrival director Denis Villeneuve is confirmed to direct a new adaptation of #Dune

https://twitter.com/empiremagazine/status/826814337117462528

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I hope they faithfully adapt the weirding modules.

genocyber

genocyber

Jordonofsky I feel would have just made a complete incoherent mess. The man is an artist at heart and has an eye for visuals, but he could not tell a narrative to save his own life.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 01, 2017, 05:37:43 PM
I hope they faithfully adapt the weirding modules.

How about the skull atop the Harkonnen castle?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed