The Lord of the Rings

Started by Shasvre, Jan 05, 2011, 06:21:44 AM

Author
The Lord of the Rings (Read 42,848 times)

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Quote from: KirklandSignature on Jan 04, 2012, 09:51:10 PM
My favorite is the Two Towers I think? Is that the one where they have a last stand battle at helms deep with the elve commandos? Which one had the crazy king who committed suicide by jumping off the castle?

The latter is Return of the King, and yes Two Towers is the one you're talking about.

SM

SM

Quote from: Keg on Jan 04, 2012, 09:12:53 PM
I've read The Hobbit but it was over 10 years ago and I dont remember much. I tried reading LOTR and got about 3/4 through the second book (Two Towers) and I just couldnt face finishing the rest. I found them tedious and a chore to read.

I think sometime this year i'll re-read The Hobbit and ill give LOTR another bash. I think I was just too young at the time but now ive read countless books since and I may find it an easier read this time.

I gave up on Two Towers around the same point the first time I read it, after devouring The Hobbit and Fellowship.  I reread it sometime later and the Frodo, Sam and Gollum stuff in TTT is the slowest stuff in the whole series.  Once you get past it ROTK flies by.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Quote from: SM on Jan 05, 2012, 03:02:31 AM
I gave up on Two Towers around the same point the first time I read it, after devouring The Hobbit and Fellowship.  I reread it sometime later and the Frodo, Sam and Gollum stuff in TTT is the slowest stuff in the whole series.  Once you get past it ROTK flies by.
I know a lot of people that have a hard time during the Council of Elrond, and in The Hobbit as well, when they visit Rivendell.

Some of those conversations with Elrond in the books were... lengthy.

SM

SM

Had no problem with them.

Prime113

Prime113

Quote from: RagingDragon on Jan 04, 2012, 09:54:14 PM
Quote from: KirklandSignature on Jan 04, 2012, 09:51:10 PM
My favorite is the Two Towers I think? Is that the one where they have a last stand battle at helms deep with the elve commandos? Which one had the crazy king who committed suicide by jumping off the castle?

The latter is Return of the King, and yes Two Towers is the one you're talking about.

My favorite is The Two Towers as well. That final battle at Helm's Deep - Man, it's just so epic. 

Keg

Keg

I've read The Hobbit but it was over 10 years ago and I dont remember much. I tried reading LOTR and got about 3/4 through the second book (Two Towers) and I just couldnt face finishing the rest. I found them tedious and a chore to read.

I think sometime this year i'll re-read The Hobbit and ill give LOTR another bash. I think I was just too young at the time but now ive read countless books since and I may find it an easier read this time.

That's exactly the reason I couldnt stomach it. The frodo, sam and gollum story arc was dragging so much and if I remember rightly the books dont split everything up as neatly as the films, it follows one group of characters for a very long time and then switches back to what happened to another group during that same period. I just couldnt stomach it at the time, but i was very early teens and i'd barely read any books for years at that point.

BANE

BANE

As I gain more patience, I begin to be able to read more of it at a time, and I begin to appreciate the awesomeness even more.

SM

SM

Quote from: Keg on Jan 05, 2012, 08:12:03 PM

That's exactly the reason I couldnt stomach it. The frodo, sam and gollum story arc was dragging so much and if I remember rightly the books dont split everything up as neatly as the films, it follows one group of characters for a very long time and then switches back to what happened to another group during that same period. I just couldnt stomach it at the time, but i was very early teens and i'd barely read any books for years at that point.

The cutting back and forth irritated me too initially.  Especially after FOTR being so linear and Book 3 being really sweet with lots of different characters and culminating in Helms Deep, Book 4 can seem quite draggy.  Book 6 gets a bit like that with Sam and Frodo struggling across Gorgoroth - but for whatever reason it works really well in that instance.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Just found these two pictures on a LotR site that claims they are the Mouth of Sauron. This is obviously not the version they went with in the movie, so does anyone know if this look was even considered, or is it just fan made? I did a quick search on Wikipedia, but found no info on this. It did however say that Kate Winslet was once considered for the role. :laugh:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mouth_of_Sauron#In_adaptations

The Golden Fox

The Golden Fox

I never got past around halfway through 'TTT'. I read 'the Hobbit' twice, though, or more times.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Rereading all the books as well.  Hobbit better be good :/  I really don't want to have to bitch about my destroyed childhood for another few weeks.

BANE

BANE

Well Bruce Spence is the actor. You'll recognize him from these big roles:

And here's him just regular:

Really looks nothing like:

So I'd say Bullshit.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: BLAIN on Jan 15, 2012, 05:47:05 AM
Well Bruce Spence is the actor. You'll recognize him from these big roles:
http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsS/16295-26017.gif
http://www.mediamikes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/sith.jpg

And here's him just regular:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2d/Bruce_Spence.JPG/200px-Bruce_Spence.JPG
Really looks nothing like:
http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/8601/mouthofsauron.jpg
So I'd say Bullshit.
They might have considered another actor for the role though, like they did with Aragorn for example.

SM

SM

Star Wars, Mad Max, LOTR, Matrix, Narnia - want a successful franchise - get Bruce Spence.

;D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed