Post Your Collection

Started by The Ultimate Predator, Dec 11, 2006, 04:44:31 PM

Author
Post Your Collection (Read 868,883 times)

windebieste

windebieste

I have a few figures.  But this one is my Pride and Joy.   :)

The original 1979 Kenner Alien Action Figure.   Of all the figures I own, the original Kenner is my favourite and I've had him since Christmas 1979.

Unfortunately, he met with an accident not so long ago.  It's been about 2 months, actually.  I dropped him and the head was snapped clean off from the neck.  luckily the carapace was undamaged.  I searched for weeks and was lucky to find a wrecked figure and salvage the head.  So I swapped them around, basically.  Now he is whole again.   :)  It cost me waaaay too much but was totally worth it.

Anyone who owns one of these marvels and wants to talk to me about Ye Olde Kenner action figure is welcome to do so.  I'd love to hear from you!  It's got some history associated with it and I am trying to find out as much about it as possible.  Any correspondence via PM, email or otherwise is welcome.  Thank you. 

;D

-Windebieste.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: windebieste on Aug 10, 2015, 04:05:30 AM
Unfortunately, he met with an accident not so long ago.  It's been about 2 months, actually.  I dropped him and the head was snapped clean off from the neck.  luckily the carapace was undamaged.  I searched for weeks and was lucky to find a wrecked figure and salvage the head.  So I swapped them around, basically.  Now he is whole again.   :)  It cost me waaaay too much but was totally worth it.

I think I would have actually cried had that happened to me. Those things are worth a fortune!

windebieste

windebieste

Ah, for sure.   My old Kenner wasn't the only thing that got dropped.  The F-bomb was heard a lot throughout the house that day.  You can believe that.

He's back in one piece now, so it all worked out in the end.  It just cost me more than I wanted to pay for to get him back up to standard once again.    He's not the only '79er I have and some of the parts from the wrecked figure did come in handy elsewhere.  Especially the arms, quad dorsal appendages and the tail.  They all became transplant items elsewhere.

-Windebieste.

PRJ_since1990

PRJ_since1990

Continuing from yesterday.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: windebieste on Aug 10, 2015, 09:35:37 AM
Ah, for sure.   My old Kenner wasn't the only thing that got dropped.  The F-bomb was heard a lot throughout the house that day.  You can believe that.

He's back in one piece now, so it all worked out in the end.  It just cost me more than I wanted to pay for to get him back up to standard once again.    He's not the only '79er I have and some of the parts from the wrecked figure did come in handy elsewhere.  Especially the arms, quad dorsal appendages and the tail.  They all became transplant items elsewhere.

-Windebieste.

How many Franken-Aliens have you got now then?

Quote from: PRJ_since1990 on Aug 10, 2015, 10:34:05 PM
Continuing from yesterday.

I envy you peeps who have enough room.

windebieste

windebieste

How many 'Franken-Aliens' do I have?

It's actually funny that you ask that.  I apply names to some of them and the action figure that receives all the dodgy and busted parts from other rebuilds I've dubbed the 'Frankenkenner Monster'.  His most recent acquisition was the broken head that was split at the neck.  Nothing gets wasted here.   These things are precious to me.  Even heavily degraded and broken pieces find a home here.

As to how many I've got..?  Well this old filing cabinet drawer has half a dozen of them stowed away.  These ones are all due for reconditioning.  I've just received a shipment of reproduction domes and other replacement parts for them so some of these items will be fully reconditioned and display ready without any further cost. 

...and before you ask, No.  They are not for sale.  These guys have a specific purpose to fulfill.   ;)

I love my old Kenners.  Each one of them is remarkable in their own way, even if time has been unkind to some of them.   It's time to bring these old timers back to the Glory they deserve. 

-Windebieste.

windebieste

windebieste

Here is the result of my restorative endeavors. 

Each one of these beeeaauuutiful figures has been afforded the Cinderella treatment and lovingly revitalised from a seriously degraded base condition and returned to their former glory.

These impressive looking figures are now feature complete. 

I had to use some facsimile parts to bring them up to this standard and I'm not ashamed to admit it as some parts were missing or broken, it was the only solution in order to fully restore them.  The head carapace is a reproduction item on each of them as is the dorsal spike mounted between the shoulders.  One of them has a replacement tongue but it's not visible in the photos. 

Of particular note is they are all now capable of holding the same pose.  WOW!  This is important because the 36 year old rubber anchors that would hold them in such positions have become fatigued and  can now no longer support the weight of the arms which would just sit by the figures sides.  The original rubber anchors are still present - I just inserted an alternative anchoring system alongside them and these new anchors work like a treat!  Even the tails are no longer loose and as you can see they don't touch the table.  The legs have been firmed up at the hips as well with all looseness taken out of them making the figures stand confidently and securely without any threat of toppling.  No glues or adhesives have been used at any point of these restorations.

Nice figures, these ones, despite the condition they were in when they came into my possession.  Now they're good looking enough to go out on a Date. 

For me, however, it's time to get stuck into refurbishing all the other derelict 1979 Kenner Alien action figures I have waiting in line.  Gonna take a while.   ;D

-Windebieste.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Those are absolutely gorgeous. I hope you realise just how lucky you are! I am intensely jealous.

windebieste

windebieste

Nice.  Corporal Hicks jealous = job well done.   ;)

-Windebieste.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Do you do custom jobs on other stuff?

Rogue_Predator

Rogue_Predator

I met Hicks! Also had a photo shoot with him ;)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I was there too. :) I had him sign my AvPGalaxy poster. What did you get signed?

Rogue_Predator

Rogue_Predator

Awesome!!!
I had a photo of him signed and a pic like yourself with him ;) very cool guy!

Are all those signatures on that poster genuine?

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

They are. Collected them all personally.  ;D  It's my own project. I also get them to sign their own Aliens/Predator CCG singles.

windebieste

windebieste

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 18, 2015, 09:13:56 AM
Do you do custom jobs on other stuff?

No.  Not really.  I look at custom work on figures as more like modifications and I've seen some custom work done on them and don't feel it does the figure any justice. 

For example, I've seen old Kenners that have had silicone rubber or wax applied to the lower jaw to represent drool.  I clean it off as much as possible and then use plastic polish to completely remove any residue.  The same with painted figures, but they can be a bit more difficult as the paint can get caught in some of the figure's many concave nooks and crannies.  I've seen eyes drawn onto the skull face and toe nails painted on them.  I remove it.   The problem with customising a figure is the person making the changes may feel that their modification is appropriate and suits their sense of what the figure should be but such an action lacks the consideration of what the figure actually is

My aim is a little different and I attempt to restore the figures and return them to their original condition as much as possible.   So that means cleaning them of any dirt, dust or residue.  Reattaching and tensioning the arms and legs so they are no longer loose and can hold poses and stand upright.  Tightening up the tail so it no longer swings loose... and so on.  Using replacement parts is done as sparingly as possible and only where absolutely necessary to complete the figure.  I don't use any glue.  I don't use any paint.  I don't do anything that actually alters the figure physically.

I don't make any changes to the figure itself where ever absolutely possible unless it means making adjustments to an already broken part.  That is the only modification I consciously make an exception for; and that's only done if I don't have any decent derelict or carcasses available to cannibalise legitimate parts from. 

One thing for sure.  It doesn't get better than having an orginal 1979 Kenner Alien action figure in excellent condition with no damage, scratches, blemishes or parts missing.  Unfortunately, such figures in that state are rare, in the minority and are worth a pretty penny when you find one.  On the other hand, specimens that are degraded are relatively common and most of them just need a little considered attention to transform them from garage floor derelicts into something spectacular worth displaying. 

I'm all for that if it's done respectfully and conscientiously to benefit the figure itself and not just impose an undisciplined Will upon it. 

So yes.  That's my defining difference between 'custom' and 'restoration'.   ;)

-Windebieste.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed