Old school predator (Spoiler)

Started by Milan, Mar 19, 2010, 12:40:27 PM

Author
Old school predator (Spoiler) (Read 56,570 times)

Milan

Milan

Quote from: Travis Scott on Mar 31, 2010, 04:50:32 PM

Even though you are being a smart ass... that has to be the most real and believable post I've seen.  ;)

Hehe, scary, isn't it :P

Quote from: Hive Tyrant on Mar 31, 2010, 06:07:13 PM
Quote from: Milan on Mar 31, 2010, 04:15:51 PM
Quote from: Hive Tyrant on Mar 31, 2010, 06:07:13 PM
Bit of a throwback to earlier in the discussion as to whether or not Predators have honour and why they hunt & kill humans: maybe it's for a reason we, as humans, cannot fathom? An emotion we do not experience?

Who knows. They're aliens.

Yeah, I understand that them being Alien might cause us to comprehend their motives and the way they are living wrong...but It would be a boring discussion if every thing we see and think we know about them from the movies and/or comics would be wrong, just because they're Aliens.

Think about it,
I can actually kill every statement about them by using the; "because they are Alien" argument,
and it becomes valid because the statement originated from a human.

Example:

Statement: Sometimes the Predator uses a projectile for long range attacks...

No, a Projectile is a human description, this thing, it's alien.
And we misstake it for a projectile, cause it looks and functions as a projectile but that's from a humans POV.
On a deep technical level, we can't even tell what it is, cause it's made of a material that can't be found in the periodic system, so one can say that it doesn't exist.
And it's purpose, long range attacks...
Again we are dealing with something alien, long range is about distance, the Predators are aliens and they might not think like us or messure range like us, in other words, long/short range attacks, is how we describe the distance from were an attack originated, for a predator it might be just an attack.

A projectile is an object travelling through the air at pretty high speeds -- regardless of it being a coconut or a bullet, or even if it's something not on the periodic table. What the object is is irrelevant, only the situation it is in. Quite a shitty metaphor, if you ask me.

No, What you just gave me was a human description on what a projectile is from a human point of view,  the situation that object is in, is a statement made from an observation by us, as humans. You have to remember them being alien, not human.
And what we see as "blue" might not really be "blue" from the Alien point of view, so we can't make the statement that the aliens sees "blue".

QuoteAbout the attacks; if it is an action actively undertaken to harm or damage, it is an attack... well, no arguing about that. I think nobody is going to disagree Predators know what they do when they blast someone with a plasmacaster. They end up dead. You'd think they would stop doing it if it didn't achieve the desired results, non?

Again No, you gave a good definition from a human point of view what an attack is, but they are Alien,
what we see them doing might not be what we think it is, it might be something we can't comprehend or relate too cause we aren't alien.
The same goes with how we interpret an action done by the Predator, we may interpret it wrong cause we do it from human point of view...
An action might not be an action, an attack might not be an attack, the desired result might not be the desired result, dead might not be dead...etc

Quoteget the point you try to make -- and I do not believe they do it for reasons we cannot comprehend... just playing the devil's advocate here -- but you're not doing a very good job at making it. Whether the Predator considers it a long-range attack or not isn't going to make any difference... again, why they do it is what I'm putting at stake here. Not how they think about their methods of doing so. Or whether they measure distance (which they probably do, or they won't know when to stab with their wristblades or fire their speargun... silly point of yours there).

I hope you understand that I'm not serious,
I'm not trying to make good points, cause it would be...eh, pointless? ;D

Each statement on this board regarding the Predator is made from a human point of view. And that alone would make it wrong, invalid or not plausible, because of its origin, it came from a human trying to explain something alien, something we as humans couldn't understand, comprehend or relate to in any way.

Using the "humans can't reffer to anything human when they interpret the Predator, cause it's alien" argument" is a good way to really limiting yourself in a discussion.
Taking that argument serious would leave us with nothing to talk about, cause we're humans.

I rather leave all door's open, so that we may be free to use as many tools as possible trying to figure these creatures out. So that we can make references with stuff that we as humans know something about, discussing the Predator takes you to many places, many discussions have made me go to different pages on wikipedia and each time I learned something new about the past and present while being there.

I understand the "Alien/human" point in that argument, I even have used it in the past when discussing the Predator and its way of life but I didn't really know the meaning of it, it's an early stoppage, it's a discussion killer.
I rather work around it or avoid it altogether.

I got no ill feelings against you or any member who have used the argument in this topic,
my guess is that you guys haven't really reflected about it that much, cause it ain't without logic.

Sabres21768

Sabres21768

Honestly...you're reading FAR too much into it than there needs to be.

I GUARANTEE...the creators of these creatures DID NOT get so esoteric about them as you're trying to be.

They meant for them to be projectiles and for us to interpret them as such...they meant for them to be attacking and for us to interpret that as such.

You're trying to put too big of a spin on it, when it was never meant to have it, for the sake of what?  Making yourself sound smart?

IT'S A MOVIE!  That's all it is, that's all it was ever meant to be.

You're trying to turn it into some type of abtruse French film type experience...and it's never going to be such.

Travis

Travis

Quote from: Sabres21768 on Mar 31, 2010, 11:41:25 PM

I GUARANTEE...the creators of these creatures DID NOT get so esoteric about them as you're trying to be.

They meant for them to be projectiles and for us to interpret them as such...they meant for them to be attacking and for us to interpret that as such.

You're trying to put too big of a spin on it, when it was never meant to have it, for the sake of what?  Making yourself sound smart?

IT'S A MOVIE!  That's all it is, that's all it was ever meant to be.

You're trying to turn it into some type of abtruse French film type experience...and it's never going to be such.

I thought that to, but I realized he isn't trying to sound smart or anything, he's just stating it, it's not really him looking to far into it, but just showing you COULD play it out like that if you wanted to. That's all.

Milan

Milan

Quote from: Travis Scott on Mar 31, 2010, 11:49:45 PM
Quote from: Sabres21768 on Mar 31, 2010, 11:41:25 PM

I thought that to, but I realized he isn't trying to sound smart or anything, he's just stating it, it's not really him looking to far into it, but just showing you COULD play it out like that if you wanted to. That's all.

Yes, Travis Scott is right.
As I stated in my previous post, I wasn't serious or trying to make a good point with my examples...

QuoteI hope you understand that I'm not serious,
I'm not trying to make good points, cause it would be...eh, pointless?

I can change the projectile part with anything related to the Predator, it still would be the same type of example no matter what part I choose.
And that was in a way my point, I took the "projectile used for long-range attacks" to show how far one could go useing that argument, every little statement or speculation can be "killed" if the "Alien/Human" argument is taken seriously.

You can pick apart every little thing about the Predator useing that argument,
I'm sure that there are people here who could have made the example way better than me,
because their native tounge is English. I know that I would have done a better job explaining that example in Swedish.

QuoteIT'S A MOVIE!  That's all it is, that's all it was ever meant to be.

Oh, REALLY??? Thanks for letting me know that, I thought it was for real!!!
Thank god, now I can leave my apartment again dureing the summer without being afraid,
because an evil monster from space wants to hunt med down cause it thinks that my a$$ would look good on his trophy wall.
THANK YOU!!!
You have changed my life forever...
...Now I can go out dureing the days but I better stay inside at nights,
cause "they mostly come out at nights, mostly" ;)

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Was browsing the boards if IMDB, and yes yes yes, I know, horrible place to go but I went to see if there were some transcripts between RR and the chatters there. I'm not sure how this came to be, or where this rumor even so much as came from but there have been speculations that the Classic Predator lives.

-Rakai'Thwei

Sabres21768

Sabres21768

Quote from: Milan on Apr 01, 2010, 01:19:26 AMOh, REALLY??? Thanks for letting me know that, I thought it was for real!!!
Thank god, now I can leave my apartment again dureing the summer without being afraid,
because an evil monster from space wants to hunt med down cause it thinks that my a$$ would look good on his trophy wall.
THANK YOU!!!
...Now I can go out dureing the days but I better stay inside at nights,

Oh no, please don't go.

Please spend more of YOUR time writing out, what you yourself state, are pointless lengthy arguments.

There's nothing funnier than watching another person waste his own time.  ;)

Hybrid PM

Hybrid PM

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Apr 01, 2010, 02:02:31 AM
Was browsing the boards if IMDB, and yes yes yes, I know, horrible place to go but I went to see if there were some transcripts between RR and the chatters there. I'm not sure how this came to be, or where this rumor even so much as came from but there have been speculations that the Classic Predator lives.

-Rakai'Thwei
Well remember, in the RR original script the regular pred lives and escapes the planet with Dutch. So maybe they switched the ending because RR said the leaked script was not the final shooting script.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Hybrid PM on Apr 01, 2010, 04:10:34 AM
Well remember, in the RR original script the regular pred lives and escapes the planet with Dutch. So maybe they switched the ending because RR said the leaked script was not the final shooting script.

If the rumor is true...

Then I'll be one happy Predator fan.

-Rakai'Thwei

Hybrid PM

Hybrid PM

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Apr 01, 2010, 04:23:35 AM
Quote from: Hybrid PM on Apr 01, 2010, 04:10:34 AM

If the rumor is true...

Then I'll be one happy Predator fan.

-Rakai'Thwei
For me it depends on how they portray Mr. Black. If he's as badass as the original Anytime or hell even Pussyface and he kills the Stan Winstion pred, I don't think I will mind. As long as they have a great fight scene.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Hybrid PM on Apr 01, 2010, 04:28:25 AM
For me it depends on how they portray Mr. Black. If he's as badass as the original Anytime or hell even Pussyface and he kills the Stan Winstion pred, I don't think I will mind. As long as they have a great fight scene.

If you ask me, thats some pretty big shoes to fill.

-Rakai'Thwei

Hybrid PM

Hybrid PM

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Apr 01, 2010, 04:34:12 AM

If you ask me, thats some pretty big shoes to fill.

-Rakai'Thwei
It is, but I think its possible.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Hybrid PM on Apr 01, 2010, 04:46:30 AM

To be honest, I like ALL of the Predators in ALL of the films.

From everything I have been hearing from the Chat Q&A with Rodriguez, I'm willing to give this new renegade clan a chance. I can tell you I already like the classic Predator, but let's see how these renegade Predators fair..

My fears are all gone.

-Rakai'Thwei

EarthHive

EarthHive

No Predator will be more badass than Anytime...not even Pussyface...not any predator.

Milan

Milan

Quote from: Sabres21768 on Apr 01, 2010, 03:58:55 AM
Quote from: Milan on Apr 01, 2010, 01:19:26 AMOh, REALLY??? Thanks for letting me know that, I thought it was for real!!!
Thank god, now I can leave my apartment again during the summer without being afraid,
THANK YOU!!!
...Now I can go out during the days but I better stay inside at nights,

Oh no, please don't go.

Please spend more of YOUR time writing out, what you yourself state, are pointless lengthy arguments.

There's nothing funnier than watching another person waste his own time.  ;)

Well, I could start posting in a way that would suit your taste better...

DUDE! the Pred got a awesome Plasma Caster!!! It just go BLAM!!! And a Head explodes like BLAM...

But these kind of caveman posts makes my face-palm go BLAM!

And I rather avoid the headache combined with a sore forehead.

You too have a brain, why should I be the only one using it in a discussion?
You might even find it refreshing, give it a try, it won't hurt.
You might even find it more fun than watching a fellow member waisting his time...
...cause he gave something a serious thought.

( me writing the example, the argument in it, ain't me giving my opinion in a serious way, the point I made with that argument was however serious. If you still don't get what I'm trying to say then give me 3 random statements about the Predator as an Alien, use stuff that can be seen in the movies and I'll show you my point.)

Nah, f**k it, I'm in no mood too bitch about this one.

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Apr 01, 2010, 04:51:52 AM
Quote from: Hybrid PM on Apr 01, 2010, 04:46:30 AM

To be honest, I like ALL of the Predators in ALL of the films.

From everything I have been hearing from the Chat Q&A with Rodriguez, I'm willing to give this new renegade clan a chance. I can tell you I already like the classic Predator, but let's see how these renegade Predators fair..

My fears are all gone.

-Rakai'Thwei

I was skeptic towards the "super predators" in the beginning but I'll give'em a chance, they have grown on me lately and I think that they might bring something new and fresh to the franchise.
Later on we might find out why they are at "war" with the classic predators, I think that the answer to that may give us even more information about the creatures.

keylight-di

keylight-di

@Milan.
If you want to see the result of my speculations, this is it:

Warning! High concentration of speculations and possible spoilers.
;)

If BSP clan and "normal" clan are fighting there has to be seriously reason. IMO it's not about domination, but about constancy and faithfulness for rules. We have to presume, that "normal" clan it's clan which keeps rules of honour, including rules of  equal fight with enemy/ equal hunting for prey.  So they are opposed to mutations, kidnapping of preys, etc. etc. Everything what we can see in BSP clan. This is cardinal reason of this war. Principles. "Normal" clan keeps their rules as constant philosophy tracing  their way by life. BSP clan tries to find shorter way. It has to be cause of war. Like medieval crusade, but on different platform.

So I believe, that their evolution - cultural and biological - goes two ways:
The first - allegiance to the principles, the subordination of nature, the primacy of the physical skills to improve. Martial art. It's  a classic Pred's way.
The second - everything is allowed, no rules to be observed, the most important is to be the best and most effective, regardless of price. This is  BSP's way.

I think, that fight of supremacy intra-group and among clans  is/could be typical for every carnivore species, which have to live in group or in near places. Like wolfs, or something like this. It's universal way to become a lider and  universal way to conquest a territory. But honor it's very important here. It's cause and result, that them society can exist. They don't kill each other. They have rules. Very, very tight. Corset of conduct, safety regime for aggressive behavior. Otherwise, all could kill each other at the first opportunity.

OSPs are looking for the most valuable preys. The greatest challenges. They hunt for the trophy.
BSP  hunting  breaks all the rules. He moves the victims to his own land and deprives their greatest assets, trumps. This makes them weaker. Using the famous triple plasma caster -what BSP gets as the trophy? Homogenized tissues? Shreds, or even less. What does he hang on his trophy wall? Why does he hunt?  But the biggest violation of the rules is - for me personally -  not so much a change in behavior, but change themselves. The genetic mutations which are changing body. It  puts  BSP  beyond traditional Preds society. This makes them Outcasts.
It is a betrayal to all the holy rules of hunting.
Weapons, dogs and falcons that's a trifle. It's only a consequence of physical changes.

So - like I said before: for me it's Holy War. For principles.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed